Player Discussion Markstrom 2021-22 Vezina Trophy Finalist

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Congrats to Jacob, great season from him. Very consistent throughout the year. Might not of outright stole a ton of games but wasn't the reason we lost many either. As much as Darryl and the top line had a great impact in our turnaround from last season, quality starting goaltending played a massive part of it as well.

Seems obvious it'll go to Shesterkin and rightly so, but still cool to see a Flames goaltender up for an award after so many seasons of middling to bad goalies post-Kipper.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Markstrom is 8th in sv% among goalies with 20 or more games played.

More impressive though is he's the only goalie in overall top 10 sv% other than Demko to also be top 10 in high danger shot attempt sv%. He's ranked 3rd.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
If we got this marky last year Sutter may have survived, playoffs with Sutter and a hot goalie is a recipe for success

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He went from total trash for a year and a half to brick wall in a flash. Goalies are voodoo, but its great to see.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He went from total trash for a year and a half to brick wall in a flash. Goalies are voodoo, but its great to see.
And for that year and a half Sutter was his coach. Too much stress? Just throwing things out because there must be a reason. Vezina candidate one year to trash the next. Sutter is now gone and Marky is playing great again. Is one connected to the other?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
And for that year and a half Sutter was his coach. Too much stress? Just throwing things out because there must be a reason. Vezina candidate one year to trash the next. Sutter is now gone and Marky is playing great again. Is one connected to the other?
Who really knows. He was great under sutter the first full season too and terrible under huska the first few months. Sometimes it’s really just a matter of “when you are hot, you are hot.”

If the flames really are shopping markstrom though, it would be smart to sell if teams are offering a good package. I’m not entirely convinced he provides more value than we could get back.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Who really knows. He was great under sutter the first full season too and terrible under huska the first few months. Sometimes it’s really just a matter of “when you are hot, you are hot.”

If the flames really are shopping markstrom though, it would be smart to sell if teams are offering a good package. I’m not entirely convinced he provides more value than we could get back.
Being stressed out usually takes a long time to manifest itself. As does getting back to normal (not sure how to describe not being stressed out so normal will have to do). That Vezina year Markstrom was starting to fall apart in the last month of the regular season and it continued on into the playoffs. The next year was a continuation and it took some time to recover once our own little Hitler left.
I agree with you about selling Markstrom. He has 2 years left on his contract and I just don't see any scenario where the Flames miraculously become legit cup contenders in those 2 years. Trade him now while his value is at its highest and demand is strongest. Keeping Markstrom will just hurt the teams rebuild... which will definitely take longer than 2 years if done right.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I can’t find the tweet I think it was Jfresh or someone I don’t remember quite what the context was either but the source was someone with proprietary data

Anyway the data shows that if you take a perfectly average goalie league wide and put him on both the worst and best defensive teams in the league (in terms of quantity and quality of chances allowed iirc) the discrepancy in their save percentage would be .890 to .915

So basically if you want an elite goalie just get one that doesn’t suck and play good defense

Markstrom is playing out of his mind right now to be doing what he’s doing

Reactions: Felidae

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I can’t find the tweet I think it was Jfresh or someone I don’t remember quite what the context was either but the source was someone with proprietary data

Anyway the data shows that if you take a perfectly average goalie league wide and put him on both the worst and best defensive teams in the league (in terms of quantity and quality of chances allowed iirc) the discrepancy in their save percentage would be .890 to .915

So basically if you want an elite goalie just get one that doesn’t suck and play good defense

Markstrom is playing out of his mind right now to be doing what he’s doing
He sure is, but from what I've seen the defence isn't particularly better now than it was when Markstrom was horrible. If anything, our possession metrics have degraded a bit from before. All the more reason I think the team would be smart to try to get extra value out of his streak of play (which has been excellent mind you).

Reactions: crackdown44

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sounds like a trade was quite close. Honestly, if we get a guy like Mercer back, it's hard to say no to that

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sounds like a trade was quite close. Honestly, if we get a guy like Mercer back, it's hard to say no to that
Devils would be making a major mistake on that one. I could see the rationale with parting with holtz, but Mercer is a legit piece.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Listened to Paddy Steinberg's yesterday pod with Frank S.- apparently, the trade with New Jersey fell in the last minute...it sounded like they couldn't agree on retention.

Paddy asked Frank if this could be revisited to which Frank replied "Probably not but weirdest things have happened- I.e. a divorced couple that remarried".

Apparately ownership approved to retain, maybe Connie has started to throw the weight around- and rightfully so.

Let's see.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
His only real “bad play” stretch aligns almost perfectly with his wife being pregnant with their first child, all his numbers and more importantly his play had a large uptick even immediately after the birth. His only other bad stretch was this organization playing him through a concussion his first year.

Really displays how much the personal effects the professional, despite these boards habits of treating players like rich robots.

Reactions: Felidae

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Listened to Paddy Steinberg's yesterday pod with Frank S.- apparently, the trade with New Jersey fell in the last minute...it sounded like they couldn't agree on retention.

Paddy asked Frank if this could be revisited to which Frank replied "Probably not but weirdest things have happened- I.e. a divorced couple that remarried".

Apparately ownership approved to retain, maybe Connie has started to throw the weight around- and rightfully so.

Let's see.
Seravalli has proved time and time again he's has no clue what's happening in Calgary

His only real “bad play” stretch aligns almost perfectly with his wife being pregnant with their first child, all his numbers and more importantly his play had a large uptick even immediately after the birth. His only other bad stretch was this organization playing him through a concussion his first year.

Really displays how much the personal effects the professional, despite these boards habits of treating players like rich robots.
This exact thing has been explained to that poster multiple times but they don't care. They have their narrative and will stick to it regardless of it being BS

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Seravalli has proved time and time again he's has no clue what's happening in Calgary

This exact thing has been explained to that poster multiple times but they don't care. They have their narrative and will stick to it regardless of it being BS
I mean, he's not wrong. Markstrom last year was really bad by all statistical metrics, one of the worst starters in the league that season.

I agree with yepthatsme that his personal life could have affected his play and we shouldn't treat these players like robots. Not everyone can play like their usual self under those circumstances as much as one tries to. It only makes sense that the birth of his kid takes priority above everything else, I imagine there were lots of sleep deprived nights.

That doesn't change the fact that Markstrom played bad though. Both things can be true.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mean, he's not wrong. Markstrom last year was really bad by all statistical metrics, one of the worst starters in the league that season.

I agree with yepthatsme that his personal life could have affected his play and we shouldn't treat these players like robots. Not everyone can play like their usual self under those circumstances as much as one tries to. It only makes sense that the birth of his kid takes priority above everything else, I imagine there were lots of sleep deprived nights.

That doesn't change the fact that Markstrom played bad though. Both things can be true.
No one claimed he didn't struggle last year, but the entire team did on front of him too.

Our point is sometimes there is a reason guys struggle, and those moments aren't what defines them.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To be honest after nearly two years of being a parent, the contrast in my ability to do my job has been staggering. During the first year of parenthood I was like half as capable. Felt like I was letting everyone down. This year has been better but still with a bunch of distractions.

It's amazing to me how minimized this is with pro athletes. It is brought up at times in a congratulatory sense, but never really in a sense of "this is going to have a tangible impact on performance for a year or so," and it honestly should be.

I've seen a lot of people say things like "they're millionaires, they can afford to have all the childcare stuff paid for," but not everyone goes into parenthood wanting it to just be done for them.

Reactions: Lunatik and Felidae

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
No one claimed he didn't struggle last year, but the entire team did on front of him too.

Our point is sometimes there is a reason guys struggle, and those moments aren't what defines them.
I agree but no one here was saying last year defined Markstrom.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree but no one here was saying last year defined Markstrom.
You clearly haven't read enough to Supers posts then, it's clear they define Markstrom by his downs. They won't even give him credit for his first season even though he was good for 2/3 of the season. They only look at the final line and complain, they also don't like to give credit for 2 seasons ago despite the Vezina nomination just because of the Oilers series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad