Speculation: Market for Krug?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
That's a guy I would target for Ottawa but that's not happening. Zaitsev would need to go and even then Melnyk will just play wait and see on a guy like Brannstrom or JBD

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Krug isn't a top pairing LD though, He's better off on the middle pairing. Krug and Seider on the 2nd pairing could be pretty nasty.

Multi-quote is your friend. ;)

But seriously, while I agree that he's not ideally a top pairing guy, he's clearly better than anybody else Detroit has on the left side, and there isn't a better option on the market than him.

Nobody's saying we'd have a top 3 defensive group, just that it's a far cry better than what was iced this season.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I think we will come to an agreement with him. By all accounts he loves Boston and he is a huge part of our team. Look up his playoff numbers - he is an insane playoff performer. He always turns it up.

Will be super upset if he doesn't stay. Whoever gets him is getting a winner.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I hope the Bruins do not resign Krug, he is 29 years old , undersized, slow,and a terrible defender. I fear Sweeney will sign him to a long term deal and over pay and put the team in " Cap Hell "...........The return on their investment is not worth it..........

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Bruins are a very strong defensive team and he is the weak link. Not talking about offense. Being uses on 70% of zone starts and one of the worse (+/-) on their D. Do you know how many D men get 70% of offensive zone starts? Not many.

Interesting in him playing with Weber but doubt he signs with the Habs. And I would not overpay as it typically takes in UFA.

If were planning on playing him with Weber his defensive zone starts will spike dramatically. Krug averages about 20mins a game with the bruins, probably playing close to a 1min30 every PP. Playing with Weber would also bring up his TOI to about 25mins a game. I like Krug, he would bring some much needed offense to our line-up, however I'm not sure he's the right guy to pair up with Weber .

Reactions: wintersej

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is so unbelievably wrong it's mind boggling. DeAngelo is already better than Krug offensively. Fox is about to be. Lundkvist is not being traded. He's basically Fox part 2. Krug is pushing 30. The last team in the world that would want Krug is NY. They need 3 lefty defenseman with size and toughness. Lindgren is one he's 6'0. Miller and Robertson project as the other 2.
carolina fans can't wait for that hank for slavin + 1st trade proposal.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't see NJ being interested in Krug.

Defense is already small and more offensive minded as it is. The Devils UFA target on D should be Edmundsson or another defensive guy to play with Severson, Subban, Butcher, and eventually Ty Smith.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Here is my bet :

his agent will tell him to wait and see if Montreal offer sheet for Sergachev. If they do, Tampa will match the offer and then MTL is still stuck with a lot of money in the bank spent on no one, AGAIN, and a big fat hole on their LHD for the 4th consecutive season, AGAIN. They will overpay due to the situation and the taxes rate in Montreal.
Then Krug's agent can use those big bucks to make the other offers go up and sign somewhere else. Cause that's what Mtl is to the free agent's market ; a tool to get bigger contract elsewhere.

Options :
- Detroit
- Boston
- NewJersey
- Islanders

ask Duchene.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I hope the Bruins do not resign Krug, he is 29 years old , undersized, slow,and a terrible defender. I fear Sweeney will sign him to a long term deal and over pay and put the team in " Cap Hell "...........The return on their investment is not worth it..........

Its risky. He is not a quick skater. And obviously way undersized. He gets by at even strength with his IQ and effort level. He isn't even great offensively at 5 on 5, just a volume shooter who sticks to his position as much as a slow footed defensive D. Heck he only had two more points than lineman Brandon Carlo at 5 on 5. If he loses another step as he ages could he cross that line into sub NHLer?

But!

He is a creative and effective puck mover and transition player. He is a gamer. 40 points in his last 47 playoff games (last three playoffs). He plays a much more dynamic and aggressive offensive game in the playoffs at evens, too. He is a leader in the room. And he is one of the best power play players in the NHL. Since Krug came into the league, only the Pens and Caps have had a better power play than the Bruins (all seasons combined). The Bruins just rode that power play all the way to game 7. They have the defensive group to be able to hide Krug's weaknesses and play to his strengths. They are in win now mode and moving on from Krug makes them a team with a lower ceiling with Bergeron and company all getting a year older.

I'm glad I am not in charge. I do hope that the Bruins pick a price they are happy with and hold firm. He is NOT a must keep. I think the writing is on the wall that if he is back its going to be at the Bruins price. I think that Krug values winning a lot. And I think he loves the city and his teammates and yada yada. But, he also has a chip on his shoulder. And going off to Detroit or something to be "the guy" might be appealing, too.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
If Florida manage to move one of Yandle, Stralman, or Matheson I could see them being players for him.

Krug -------- Ekblad
Matheson -- Weegar

Montreal also have the need for LHD.

Rangers if they can move 1-2 of Staal/Smith/Lundkvist (and possibly one of DeAngelo/Trouba).

NJ, Winnipeg, and LA could be in contention as well.

But yeah Boston and Detroit are probably the top 2 candidates.

I can’t speak in absolutes because I’m obviously not Gorton, but I can almost assure you the Rangers won’t be in on Krug. They have to worry about giving DeAngelo and Strome deals. They have too much money tied up in defense to be going after Krug and one of the best farm systems in terms of defensive prospects.

I fail to see why Detroit would be in on him as well. They’re not at a point where they should start adding big name UFA’s to launch them into contender status.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think it can depend on Boston going far again. Does he value the cup, or will he go for $'s? Tough call. My guess is he goes to NJ.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think he stays in Boston for something like 7x6. They should have the cap after moving out Backes I'd think. I'd love for Montreal to grab him, but I think it would take something like 7x7.5 for him to burn Boston like that and as much as I like him and he'd fill a glaring need I wouldn't quite go that far

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If were planning on playing him with Weber his defensive zone starts will spike dramatically. Krug averages about 20mins a game with the bruins, probably playing close to a 1min30 every PP. Playing with Weber would also bring up his TOI to about 25mins a game. I like Krug, he would bring some much needed offense to our line-up, however I'm not sure he's the right guy to pair up with Weber .

Realistically we're hoping Romanov can become that sooner than later though. I don't think the *perfect* partner for Weber is really available, but Krug is head and shoulders above anything else I could see Montreal grabbing. I don't see his minutes getting that high either, probably would just lead to rolling three pairs with Weber getting the most minutes by a bit of a margin. Would be kinda similar to how Tampa rolls out their D I think just obviously minus the top 3 d-man league wide

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think there will be a very competitive market for him and I think he will get a contract similar to Spurgeons.

I think Detroit could make a competitive offer.

I would look to St. Louis IF Pietrangelo walks, as they seem to be a pretty creative team and they are certainly dedicated to keeping that window open.

Florida, as mentioned, could definitely be a team to watch.

Winnipeg, maybe? They would need to get creative, but if they think he can be an important part of the team for the next 5-7 years, it wouldn't be too difficult to navigate.

The Isles are another team who could sign Krug with minimal manoeuvering.

lol they dont have cap space. their fans are already proposing deals to dump guys like Ladd and Komarov so they can sign Barzal and Pulock. where are they getting 7-8 mil?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think it can depend on Boston going far again. Does he value the cup, or will he go for $'s? Tough call. My guess is he goes to NJ.
Krug isn't going to NJ, If Boston wins the cup. I could see Krug walking to UFA and possibly coming home to Detroit. But it sounds like Yzerman might not pay him any more then Boston. So in other words doubt Detroit gives Krug $7+ million per to sign there. He takes less or goes somewhere else.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If I were Yzerman I'd offer Krug something like ~$9M for 3 years or maybe ~$8M for 4 years just to make sure you get him, cap space is not a problem for Detroit currently and the team needs someone to eat up big minutes and pose a transitional threat, around the time those hypotheticals are expiring guys like Abdelkader, Nielsen, Dekeyser will also be off of their bloated deals so the cap space will open up again

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I have a feeling he’ll re-sign in Boston under market value if the only teams offering market value are Detroit or other bottom dwellers.

Does a team like LA or CHI make a push for him as well? Maybe a winning team like WPG who need a higher end LHD behind morrissey?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I have a feeling he’ll re-sign in Boston under market value if the only teams offering market value are Detroit or other bottom dwellers.

Does a team like LA or CHI make a push for him as well? Maybe a winning team like WPG who need a higher end LHD behind morrissey?

Jets don't have the cap space to sign him after signing all their RFA's, backup goalie and DeMelo. Jets will have about 6 million in cap space after those signings, he will want way more then the Jets would have to spend (barring a significant trade). Plus his style (or Barrie) isn't a big need, we have lots of scoring plus they have Pionk & Josh M.........if the Jets wanted another D it would be more of a bigger body defensive guy.....no need for smaller offensive D.

Krug is a fine player, just doesn't fill the need of the Jets.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Don’t really see WPG being a fit off the ice, but Chicago or LA yes. He has said he is trying to balance winning, raising his new and young family in a nice place and that this is his big contract. He isn’t going to get what he wants from all three needs.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Don’t really see WPG being a fit off the ice, but Chicago or LA yes. He has said he is trying to balance winning, raising his new and young family in a nice place and that this is his big contract. He isn’t going to get what he wants from all three needs.
Makes sense.
Would Boston offer him 7+ mill a year?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Boston still makes the most sense for Krug, both short and long term. Even with a flat cap, Boston will have around 18 million in space this offseason, with only DeBrusk, Bjork, and Grzelcyk as key RFAs. Chara obviously a UFA as well, but he'd probably receive a similar deal to this year if he wants to keep playing.

I think it's Boston or Detroit like everyone has said here, though I'd question Detroit signing an undersized D entering his age 30 season to a long term, big money deal given their current situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad