Mark Wheeler

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Icetime is 5v5.

My eyetest tells me that PSE don't play much a) in non-close scoring situations, b) late third with a close lead. Haven't checked the numbers, though, so i could be wrong.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
CSVyMQ0UsAAA-dj.png

*league average is 2007-2012 numbers, assuming the lines are in order from 1st-4th

yes 5v5 only

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Blake Wheeler's skating posture...

This is probably directed more to those who are great skaters and/or played hockey for years.
whenever i watch Wheeler skate, i can't believe he can be so fast. looks like he has a really unorthodox posture.
he's always bent over instead of being in the "sitting on a chair" stance.

here's a good example of typical Wheeler posture.
http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/WHEELER01.jpg

you also see it on this play.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
I tend to agree with you- it does look goofy- but like the old saying goes
If it ain't broken don't fix it.
I think Wheeler is faster this year than last... didn't think that was possible

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think he actually changed his skating a bit this past summer. Bryan Little too. It seems like they skate more on their toes than the heels.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think he actually changed his skating a bit this past summer. Bryan Little too. It seems like they skate more on their toes than the heels.

I never rated Wheels as the best Jets forward before the season, but is he ever looking impressive right now. Still waiting for him to revert because that's my impression of him (a bit hot & cold), but here's hoping I'm wrong because he looks like such a dominant power forward right now.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

I can't tell myself. But a friend of mine instructs figure skating and she thinks Blake is the smoothest skater on the team.

She also thought Evander Kane was kinda terrible technique-wise but very fast nonetheless.

Figure skating != hockey skating, of course, so grain of salt...

In any case, Blake is playing out of his mind this year. If he keeps it up he might garner as many charts, threads and compliments as Burmi. ;) Guy racked up a larger discussion thread in the last year WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING FOR THE TEAM.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I can't tell myself. But a friend of mine instructs figure skating and she thinks Blake is the smoothest skater on the team.

She also thought Evander Kane was kinda terrible technique-wise but very fast nonetheless.

Figure skating != hockey skating, of course, so grain of salt...

In any case, Blake is playing out of his mind this year. If he keeps it up he might garner as many charts, threads and compliments as Burmi. ;) Guy racked up a larger discussion thread in the last year WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING FOR THE TEAM.

I never played hockey since I'm a sauerkraut having played football my entire youth so I'd like to know: What's the difference of skating "on your heels" vs "on your toes"?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
When Wheeler winds it up he looks like Mike Modano, though Modano's stride was smoother/more effortless. Still see alot of Modano in his skating, though.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Wheeler is a prime example of how a soft, one dimensional guy in his early twenties can become so much more when the player is given the tools to apply himself.

He changed from a playmaking winger to a goal scorer that checks hard and can set teammates up. He plays the game the right way, as old Claude would say.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Wheeler deserves a lot more attention than any other Jet for if he maintains his points per game avenge for the rest of the season he will have a record year.

Go Wheeler Go!

Stay healthy Wheels and make it a record year!

Go Jets Go!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I never played hockey since I'm a sauerkraut having played football my entire youth so I'd like to know: What's the difference of skating "on your heels" vs "on your toes"?

If you are skating on your heels you don't have much balance or power as your centre of gravity isn't over your skate blades. When you are on your toes you are digging into the ice more, transferring more power to the ice and having more blade control.

It's also a euphemism for being on the defensive, rather than being aggressive.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I've really noticed Wheeler in the past few games in contrast to the rest of the team. He's playing with more of a fire in his belly than ever while the rest are folding like a cheap suit. We need more Wheelers.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I've really noticed Wheeler in the past few games in contrast to the rest of the team. He's playing with more of a fire in his belly than ever while the rest are folding like a cheap suit. We need more Wheelers.

The ENTIRE game last night Wheeler played with his foot on the gas. Very impressed with his play. He's the true leader of this team.

He also was the only forward that wasn't scored on last night at even strength.

Keep up the good work Blake!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ended the season with 78 points in 82 games. :handclap:

There is no debate now whether Wheeler is "elite" or not

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Ended the season with 78 points in 82 games. :handclap:

There is no debate now whether Wheeler is "elite" or not

Yup.

An ugly season, but I don't think there's anyone else in the league that I'd prefer leading these kids going forward. He's talented, passionate, and mature beyond his years. In garbage time, he and Ehlers were trying to get Scheifele his 30th real bad.

We should have a Boris Valábik day in Winnipeg.

The real question, though, is how many years does he have to spend in the top ten of league scoring for the ****ing J-team at Sportsnet not to pooch his name nine times in a night?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Good Season Wheeler,

next year go up to 80, leading the JETS team into the playoff again!!!

I think Wheeler would have hit 80, as he had a few games that he seems really down right around Ladd trade and Jets realistically was not going to make the playoff. After that, he went to beast mode again.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
6th in scoring :amazed: (7th if Kuz gets 2 tomorrow)
I'm really surprised to see Gaudreau, Kuz and Burns in the top 11 as well

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If ESW is together for at least 80% of the regular season next year and are able to stay healthy, Scheifele and Wheeler both are going to be ppg players.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If ESW is together for at least 80% of the regular season next year and are able to stay healthy, Scheifele and Wheeler both are going to be ppg players.

And they will be kinda fun to watch.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yup.

An ugly season, but I don't think there's anyone else in the league that I'd prefer leading these kids going forward. He's talented, passionate, and mature beyond his years. In garbage time, he and Ehlers were trying to get Scheifele his 30th real bad.

We should have a Boris Valábik day in Winnipeg.

The real question, though, is how many years does he have to spend in the top ten of league scoring for the ****ing J-team at Sportsnet not to pooch his name nine times in a night?

We can thank our lord and savior Jesus as well. Raptor Jesus. :yo:

I must admit that Ehlers' goal last night was very pretty. Nice passing and awareness.

That goal was so ****ing sexy. Fantastic set up by both and shot by Ehlers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00