Confirmed with Link: Mark Stone (signed 8x~$9MM)/T. Lindberg for The Brannwagon, Oscar Lindberg, and a 2020 2nd

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
They can't sign him now due to tagging issues. What that means is they can't go over the current cap limit (79.5m) with next season's commitments. Next season they have 72m already on the books so they don't have the tagging space for anything more than a 7m AAV right now. So it looks like they'll have to wait until the offseason to sign him officially.

Which would drop the offer they can give him to 7 years if I understand the rules, which I may not (Edit: read as, "definitely don't").

It was widely reported that the team could satisfy tagging requirements as of March 1......

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Which would drop the offer they can give him to 7 years if I understand the rules, which I may not (Edit: read as, "definitely don't").

It was widely reported that the team could satisfy tagging requirements as of March 1......

They can still give him 8 years until 7/1. So there will be a window after the SCF and before 7/1 where it will likely get done.

I don't know why that was reported when all it takes is looking at CapFriendly to see the cap versus what we already have committed.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If that is true, watch Stone change his mind then as he may decide to just hit free agency since it will be close. lol :sarcasm:

Seriously though, i can't wait that long.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They can still give him 8 years until 7/1. So there will be a window after the SCF and before 7/1 where it will likely get done.

I don't know why that was reported when all it takes is looking at CapFriendly to see the cap versus what we already have committed.

The tagging number was increased on March 1st. Teams are allowed 10% above the current cap to 87.45m committed for next season.

If that is true, watch Stone change his mind then as he may decide to just hit free agency since it will be close.

Sir I'm going to have to ask you to calm down.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The tagging number was increased on March 1st. Teams are allowed 10% above the current cap to 87.45m committed for next season.

Sir I'm going to have to ask you to calm down.

I am calm. Do i look calm?

giphy.gif

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I am calm. Do i look calm?

giphy.gif

:scared:

Not finalizing the Stone extension might have summat to do with re-signing another player. That's another possibility.

87.45m - 9.5m for stone leaves...5.075m left to re-sign Karlsson, Bellemare, Engelland, Subban, Pirri, Carpenter etc. (until the new cap with 10% summer cushion)

I hope this means a Karlsson announcement is close!

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Not finalizing the Stone extension might have summat to do with re-signing another player. That's another possibility.

87.45m - 9.5m for stone leaves...5.075m left to re-sign Karlsson, Bellemare, Engelland, Subban, Pirri, Carpenter etc. (until the new cap with 10% summer cushion)

I hope this means a Karlsson announcement is close!
Could need extra space for Gusev too, though that's likely an ELC with some extras totaling less than $2MM. Apparently he can sign next week if he is planning to come over, assuming SKA gets eliminated.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Could need extra space for Gusev too, though that's likely an ELC with some extras totaling less than $2MM. Apparently he can sign next week if he is planning to come over, assuming SKA gets eliminated.
His cap hit would only be 925k though assuming he gets max ELC.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Does this mean we will need to trade Eakin or Smith or both in order to sign Stone and Karlsson?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
As soon as this trade was made it made at least 2 of Eakin/Smith/Miller/Haula cap casualties. Hopefully not Smith though.

I am not sure Haula and Eakin would be enough and I'm not sure we can afford to get rid of Miller and upgrade the defense without spending more than the 3.875M he makes and we certainly can't afford to weaken the defense so I think it is hard not to see Smith being a cap trade.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Stone were a great skater he'd be an inner-circle Hall of Famer.

I think you'll see he doesn't get beat very often because of foot speed.

Never does.

His impact has been unparallelled to a new addition to a team. When 6 players that have played with him all had their career years with him its a true sign he is a super star.

This article breaks down how large of an impact it has been thus far.

https://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-h...6dcOS_TJTiDJx1WTerozuv6b6sxPKNBAfJY1MGirsHql4

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
As soon as this trade was made it made at least 2 of Eakin/Smith/Miller/Haula cap casualties. Hopefully not Smith though.

How is it that the Leafs and Bolts can be so overloaded with talent, and we pay three stars and get in cap trouble?

At any rate, I think Engo is gone after this season, replaced by a current Wolf, Miller could also be replaced, and you're leaving Marche off your potential tradables list, who I would rather see go than Smith. Marche just gets pushed around too much and chases goalscoring glory to the detriment of his line, but that's just my opinion.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
How is it that the Leafs and Bolts can be so overloaded with talent, and we pay three stars and get in cap trouble?

At any rate, I think Engo is gone after this season, replaced by a current Wolf, Miller could also be replaced, and you're leaving Marche off your potential tradables list, who I would rather see go than Smith. Marche just gets pushed around too much and chases goalscoring glory to the detriment of his line, but that's just my opinion.

I think that's half of our blue line to try to replace. Merrill will probably be gone and Holden doesn't seem to be very helpful. And we have 7M on those three spots. Who can we get to improve on Miller for under 5M.

I think Smith, Eakin at least have to be traded and we still wouldn't be able to trade Miller and pay another defenseman significantly more.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think that's half of our blue line to try to replace. Merrill will probably be gone and Holden doesn't seem to be very helpful. And we have 7M on those three spots. Who can we get to improve on Miller for under 5M.

I think Smith, Eakin at least have to be traded and we still wouldn't be able to trade Miller and pay another defenseman significantly more.

Miller gets replaced by Hague, provided he's ready, which seems the case. Hague for ELC money. Engo's leadership and experience will be harder to replace, but I think it's really time for him to hang up the skates. Whitecloud? Trading off Branny did throw a wrinkle on our blueline future....I'm a believer in Bischoff but it's pretty clear to me that Turk isn't.

We have Merrill and Holden through 2020. I feel much less negative about Merrill than I did earlier in the season. I still see Holden as dead weight.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Miller gets replaced by Hague, provided he's ready, which seems the case. Hague for ELC money. Engo's leadership and experience will be harder to replace, but I think it's really time for him to hang up the skates. Whitecloud? Trading off Branny did throw a wrinkle on our blueline future....I'm a believer in Bischoff but it's pretty clear to me that Turk isn't.

We have Merrill and Holden through 2020. I feel much less negative about Merrill than I did earlier in the season. I still see Holden as dead weight.

I think Whitecloud and Hague may both be able to step in and help but I think they would feel more comfortable with getting a veteran defenseman if they trade Miller.

Is there a free agent they could try to get around 5M. Trading Smith, Eakin and Miller or equivalent cap would probably bring in some assets.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Guarantee Clarkson is gone this summer for his contract + asset (considering the amount of picks, ill say a pick) to Arizona, Florida, or Ottawa.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Hardest thing to replace with Engo are all the minutes he spends on the PK. His 35+ contract status would make him cap friendly as well. I think he'd be fine playing 40 games next season.

With 1 year remaining, Holden should be easy to get off the cap.

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

I think I sign him to another year, even it's just a 6/7 D, failing that I expect Vegas to bring him into the fold in some other capacity.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
This article breaks down how large of an impact it has been thus far.
https://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-h...6dcOS_TJTiDJx1WTerozuv6b6sxPKNBAfJY1MGirsHql4

Wow- Very interesting breakdown. The stats match the eye test for me. What I see is the opposing teams focusing mainly on the 1B line, thereby allowing more possession and chances for the 1A and 3 lines. And, oh by the way, that 1B line has been pretty damn dangerous.
The next five games will be the true measure, though.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow- Very interesting breakdown. The stats match the eye test for me. What I see is the opposing teams focusing mainly on the 1B line, thereby allowing more possession and chances for the 1A and 3 lines. And, oh by the way, that 1B line has been pretty damn dangerous.
The next five games will be the true measure, though.

He likely only gets better from here on out, he has never had as good linemates as he currently does its probably a bit of an adjustment for him not carrying the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad