Player Discussion Mark Jankowski

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Where do you all see Jankowski going with this team? 4C on a tight leash with people pushing for his job or a future 2C that should be given all the opportunities available to him or somewhere inbetween? Was noticing on the trade boards there was a split opinion on what he would be and wanted to bring it here. What do y'all think?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Keep him if the prices aren't great. He can always be moved to wing if we don't want him at centre.

IMO, he's a decent candidate in a quantity for quality trade from the Flames.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I don’t mind adding him into a move if it helps us get value but I’m happy to keep him too. He’s a useful penalty killer and there’s always the slight chance he takes another step forward

I’m pretty indifferent about whether it’s Janko or Ryan in the 3C spot, it only becomes an issue for me if Dube takes a big step forward this summer because I’d like to see him stay at the C position in the big leagues and having both Janko and Ryan could make for a bit of a road block

Alternatively just go

Bennett-Dube-Ryan
Mangi-Janko-Hathaway

In the bottom 6 or something. Honestly there are a lot of quality depth lines you can make with that combination of players
(Quine is 1st line obviously in this scenario)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
After playoffs I was ready to fire him into the sun for being a lesser Joe Colborne when he was "off". We'll see. I don't want him on the third line anymore.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He needs to be on the fourth line, on the wing, or gone. We can argue about upgrading on Monahan or Backlund, but jankowski was a weak link for virtually the entire season at es down the middle. I’m not convinced his good puck luck on the Pk continues, and he was all but invisible in the playoffs.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
4LW
Or fired into the sun.
Quantity for Quality type trade.

We have to move on, or put him way down the roster on the wing. He's not smart enough to play centre, but he has a good enough shot. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
His rookie season was promising but he didn't take any steps forward this season. For all the acclaim regarding his playmaking ability as a prospect, he's a very poor passer at the NHL level. I'm ready to move on from him in the form of a trade. He could be replaced fairly easily

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
His rookie season was promising but he didn't take any steps forward this season. For all the acclaim regarding his playmaking ability as a prospect, he's a very poor passer at the NHL level. I'm ready to move on from him in the form of a trade. He could be replaced fairly easily

I kinda disagree on this one to be honest. I feel like this step back this season wasn't a full back slide. It's as if he played a bit more offensive in his rookie season, then attempted more defensive play this season to the detriment of his offense (which we actually really needed in the bottom 6 rather than more defense). I think once he figures out how to do both simultaneously, we will be very happy with him.

Janko and Hathaway IMO seemingly ended up playing much more defensively responsible this season IMO. Hathaway's slide in certain other aspects were at least OK due to him stepping up his pest game along side his defensive and physical responsibilities. Janko gets crucified a bit extra here IMO because his lack of physicality was obvious as physicality was desperately needed in the bottom 6. I think both guys will actually keep growing, but if you get the for sure end result immediately in a quantity for quality trade, you make it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I was obviously he vocal critic of Jankowski in that thread mentioned in the OP and there really isn't much more I have to say.

It seemed like any line, no matter who the linemates were, with Jankowski on it was the worst line especially offensively. He does not bring enough outside of ok, not great, PK ability to be a 3rd line C on this team. If he is the 4th line guy I guess that is fine but I am not sure he is an upgrade over Dube or Quine in that same spot.

I am not sure if we can get anything of value for him but if we could get a RW with offensive upside I would make that deal. I know most would hate it but considering Weisbrod is there a Jankowski-Virtanen deal is one I would make. I think it is most likely that Virtanen is what he is based on his low hockey IQ but the physical skills are still impressive and maybe he is worth the risk. If not him that kind of player is someone I would take over Jankowski and then move Dube into his spot or Ryan up to the 3rd line, or ideally Backlund down to the 3rd line.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not a great season from Janko definitely but I don't really see any reason to give up on him either. He was only making 1.675 per. He scored 32 points. :dunno: seems about right. He didn't have the progression a lot of us were hoping for but sophomores rarely do. His line had some nice stretches but definitely were the weak link of the forward group. He has some nice hands and a heavy shot and is at least adequate defensively.

Just want to see him finish his f**king checks. You're 6'4 buddy for f**ks sake. After next season if his play doesn't improve and he's up for a new deal is when you can look to trade him I think.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not good enough to be top 6
Too slow, too soft to be a bottom 6

A filler, no more, no less. If someone (i.e. Nucks wants him for something decent) then trade him.

Him and Monahan at center just pissed me off

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
While I think it'd be unwise to give up on him, at the same time, his spot is an area of weakness the Flames could improve relatively easily either directly or indirectly.

Basically, if they can package him in a trade for an age appropriate upgrade (e.g. Kadri or Wennberg) they should look into it. If a deal like that isn't out there, then just hold on to him and work on his weaknesses.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I miss OKG because he provided a different perspective and his posts were always well explained even when they were wrong. The upside is those 2 no longer being here the arguements have gone down like 200%.

But having either of those posters in your corner as a player was basically a death sentence. Between the 2 of them they have Bennett, the decline of Brodie, Jankowski, Klimchuk (lol I remember getting my head ripped off for suggesting that his mediocre numbers in his d+2 were a sign for concern), Kanzig, Brouwer and probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

In conclusion pray for Kylington.

Not gonna lie, love Sam Bennett, OKG made me dislike him more; loved loved loved Kylington (I literally have a picture in my office with him and Ras at the draft) and started to dislike him more :laugh:
I probably disliked Jankowski more because of how old Steaky (MethodGradersGuy) would legit attack every post I had about my disappointment with that pick :laugh:

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Not gonna lie, love Sam Bennett, OKG made me dislike him more; loved loved loved Kylington (I literally have a picture in my office with him and Ras at the draft) and started to dislike him more :laugh:
I probably disliked Jankowski more because of how old Steaky (MethodGradersGuy) would legit attack every post I had about my disappointment with that pick :laugh:
That's kind of how it went, OKG overrated every one of our players and turned them into memes.

The other guy would jump down your throat for anything he didn't agree with, even if there was mountains of evidence that showed otherwise.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A guy who in 6 years have 3 seasons of 60+ points and one season of 80+ points with the other two being very good seasons as well pissed you off?
Yes...they were useless in the playoffs when it counts

Monahan is also proving he is just leetching off Johnny. Dude does not bother to improve other aspects of his game for three yrs now

Last edited:

culturaldingo

Jan 15, 2019
Monahan is a worse version of Tavares. He is what he is.

You address it with depth aka Kadri

Monahan
Kadri
Backlund
Ryan

is solid

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yes...they were useless in the playoffs when it counts

Monahan is also proving he is just leetching off Johnny. Dude does not bother to improve other aspects of his game for three yrs now

Leeching off of him?

He had 22 goals in the league playing with garbage before Gaudreau even made the league and if he is only leeching off Gaudreau how come nobody else can leech off him like that?

And there were a lot more useless guys in the play-offs than Monahan but I understand for many he is an easy target.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
He had 22 goals in the league playing with garbage before Gaudreau even made the league and if he is only leeching off Gaudreau how come nobody else can leech off him like that?
Not only that, but I mean, come playoffs, Monahan outperforms Johnny.

Regardless, this thread is about Jankowski.

I think the main reason people are upset about Janko is draft position. If he was what he is and we got him in the third round? People would love it. It was the fact that he was a first round pick, slightly off the board, and a project from the get-go. Those combined with a few people who got drafted shortly after him (the biggest one that sticks out in the first round for me is Tanner Pearson. But I mean, Malcolm Subban would be a huge upgrade on our G-depth as well). And the fact we traded down to get him, from a position where we could have gotten a Tom Wilson, Tomas Hertl, or Vasilevsky. That is what stings about it.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Meh....He's an asset. He is a youngish bottom 6 center who is defensively sound and has some offensive skill so you keep him until someone pushes him out of the lineup however you deal him if he is needed to complete a deal to upgrade another position.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Monahan is a worse version of Tavares. He is what he is.

You address it with depth aka Kadri

Monahan
Kadri
Backlund
Ryan

is solid

I thought that was what Lindholm was for.

OK fine. We should ship a RD option to TO for Kadri. We should also explore a Gaudreau for a C/W option or a goalie.

"C" of Red top 9.

Kadri - Monahan - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Ryan
Dube - Janko - Lazar

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Leeching off of him?

And there were a lot more useless guys in the play-offs than Monahan but I understand for many he is an easy target.

Yes he is a 20 goal scorer without Johnny. Also he contributes nothing else. A pathetic 1st line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad