Mark Hunter to Detroit?

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
Ken Holland talked about adding to the front office due to the brain drain over the years at his season end press conference. Chris Illitch should activally pursue bringing Hunter to Detroit to with the promise of becoming GM. He would be the perfect fit with the state of the team right now, whether that happens is another story.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m all for it. I think he only moves organizations for a straight up GM gig though, and Detroit isn’t going to offer that right now. But he’s a very good option in a year or two, if he’s not snatched up by then.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Hunter is under contract to the Maple Leafs. He can't simply leave for a job in Detroit. Teams will give permission to leave if it is a promotion but this wouldn't be one.
And no way Shanny allows him to leave.

This is dead in the water.

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
Hunter is under contract to the Maple Leafs. He can't simply leave for a job in Detroit. Teams will give permission to leave if it is a promotion but this wouldn't be one.

Writing is on the wall he wanted the job and Dubas doesn't want him there to stab him in the back. Unfortunately Illitch boxed himself in and gave Holland two more years. Hunter is from Sarina area so I think he would be very interested to come to Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

If he resigned today nobody would think anything of it. He got passed over in the organization.

Also they can tack things on in the front office to make it happen. Yzerman carried a vice president title in Detroit, the Wings could make him AGM and vice president of whatever and suddenly boom it is a promotion because of the secondary title. I am not saying they would, but yes this is a move they should be looking at. It is a move I believe Mike Ilitch would be pursuing in terms of 80's 90's and early 00's Mike Ilitch.

Now even with the if he resigned today, I don't think he will really be allowed to leave until after the draft. But I do expect Hunter to leave the Leafs after the draft.

The bigger problem in Toronto is between Dubas, Shanahan and Babcock the power really is spoken for. I wonder if he goes with Lou to Long Island in some role. But I would be happy to add him to the front office in Detroit.

Reactions: Frk It

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
There is something defeatist about taking a guy the Leafs didn't want as their GM you to be ours, seems like we can do a lot better.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There is something defeatist about taking a guy the Leafs didn't want as their GM you to be ours, seems like we can do a lot better.

Mark Hunter is a talented hockey mind, the more you have of those around the better off you are. I don't care about pouching, heck we used to do this a lot more back in the day in my opinion.

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018
Like who? Dubas and Hunter were both really good GMs in the ohl and have done good jobs in there respective roles with Toronto. Hunter has always been a great talent evaluator of young players exactly what Detroit needs right now.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've always thought he would be a good get for when Holland is done with how the set up is in Toronto. He also always seemed like a good candidate because hes form Petrolia, where he still farms a lot of land. Detroit is actually the closest team to Petrolia as well.

Nothing defeatist about it, Hunter has been great anywhere he has went and was the primary builder of the greatest junior hockey team in the country the last ~20 years. Toronto chose to go with the young, analytics type guy but that doesnt mean Hunter isnt still great. If anything I would bet Hunter is too opinionated and hard headed for an organization with such a weird power structure. That alone could be the reason Dubas was picked

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Toronto could also want hunter in the mix in case dubas bombs. I’m not saying this will happen, and they would never admit publicly, but having a plan B is never a bad idea especially when you GM is as inexperienced as Dubas.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Hunter would leave for a GM job, not for the promise of one in the future. Call again in 2 years

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Whatever.

Hunter will leave. He wants to be a GM. Eventually he will get an offer and leave.
It's entirely possible that people simply do their jobs and are eventually reward and not simply act like petulant children.

What if it's simply a change of scenery he wants because he simply likes change? Simply something as simple as that?

Simply!

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What if it's simply a change of scenery he wants because he simply likes change? Simply something as simple as that?

Simply!
That too is possible. But he does have a contract.

Detroit would be a good fit since it's actually closer to London than TO. Let's him pop in on the Knights periodically without much issue.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Hunter and there Leafs have mutually parted ways. While I doubt we make a play for him, it’s at least possible now.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He would have been a great fit if Holland would have retired or taken another spot in the organization like Jimmy D did in order to move Holland into the GM spot.

Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad