Player Discussion Marco Scandella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
If turning your back to the checker makes a boarding your fault (Ballard) then shouldn't skating down the middle of the ice and putting your head down creating head contact be your fault too?

Not sure if that makes sense the way I wrote it.

Edit: More saying that hit on Ballard was way more dangerous than anything Scandella might have done. Guy might have his career ended by a totally unnecessary hit. But it's his fault cause he turned to avoid it? Don't really get it.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
in a vacuum this was suspension worthy. i mean in a vacuum where other guys don't get off discipline for the same exact thing and without comparing it to other potentially injurious hits. it was the second head shot in a short period of time and there is no way i wouldn't have been calling for a suspension if some guy on the other team in Scandella's disciplinary position had a second offense against one of our guys.
so, fair punishment.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If turning your back to the checker makes a boarding your fault (Ballard) then shouldn't skating down the middle of the ice and putting your head down creating head contact be your fault too?

Edit: More saying that hit on Ballard was way more dangerous than anything Scandella might have done. Guy might have his career ended by a totally unnecessary hit. But it's his fault cause he turned to avoid it? Don't really get it.

Completely agree. Don't see how Martin is getting a pass, and Scandella suspended.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
in a vacuum this was suspension worthy. i mean in a vacuum where other guys don't get off discipline for the same exact thing and without comparing it to other potentially injurious hits. it was the second head shot in a short period of time and there is no way i wouldn't have been calling for a suspension if some guy on the other team in Scandella's disciplinary position had a second offense against one of our guys.
so, fair punishment.

Agreed.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

This infuriates me - we've seen it with Bogosain on Bouchard, Krieder on Brodin, Martin on Ballard, etc.

I'ver posted my reaction in several threads.

I DO think the end result should play a role - hell, both of Scandella's victims barely missed a shift, and Martin may have ended a career; plus, it was a uselass "finish the check" kind of hit, as opposed to putting a shoulder into the puck carrier.

It's like the guy lifting Butch's stick into his own face - absurd. If you need to be in control of your stick at all times, how about extending that to the body.

If the hittee can react, so should the hitter. BS NHL.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
physical play is the one area almost every team in the league has a clear advantage over us (aside from the PP :/). It'd be stupid to not send out your checkers to beat on our team to the extent their abilities let them. Martin is a very good checker. it's not a useless hit.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
I still can't believe he got a suspension for that. To me he threw a good hard check that was meant to stop the advancing player entering the zone. I think if he really wanted to put his lights out he could have, but he didn't. It looks to me like he got part shoulder and the side of the head.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I still can't believe he got a suspension for that. To me he threw a good hard check that was meant to stop the advancing player entering the zone. I think if he really wanted to put his lights out he could have, but he didn't. It looks to me like he got part shoulder and the side of the head.
He wasn't suspended JUST for that. If it was only that hit, I doubt the NHL would've looked at anything... but when you also take in account the Oshie hit 10 days earlier that he got off light, you knew it was coming.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I guess I'm not used to shoulder to body hits being considered dirty. Elbows, skates leaving the ice, boarding from behind, knees, these make sense to me. Scandella was just playing physical hockey without any of that. Yeah, there was some contact to the chin, but same deal when you drop the mitts and slug somebody. He was just making good hockey plays. His "victims" missed barely a few shifts if that. BS suspension.

That he earned a 2 gamer for that, and Martin likely ended a career and didn't even earn a minor, that's just dumb. More an indictment of the NHL than Martin truth be told.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can understand consistency arguments, but that's been an issue forever. I've given up on consistency, and just instead look at each incident on an island if I can.

Looking at Scandella's 2 hits in 10 days, the moment the hit happened, I was like... "He's getting a suspension."

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I can understand consistency arguments, but that's been an issue forever. I've given up on consistency, and just instead look at each incident on an island if I can.

Looking at Scandella's 2 hits in 10 days, the moment the hit happened, I was like... "He's getting a suspension."

But if he hits those guys an inch lower, no problem - he "stands em up," nothing dirty intended. Intent, results, aftermath....

I know, it ain't easy, but maddening it is.

cassidy7676

Oct 8, 2013
Sry if I am suppose to ask those kinds of thing in the fantasy section board :snide: But since its about his actual performance curve and you guys Watch Minn players all the time, I think its okay if I post it here.

I am on a fantasy league that higly value goal and PIM, and I only have one trade left.

My question is: Do you think Scandella second half of the season will be similar to the first half or is he playing way over his head? Are those PIMs the results of some incidents or is he just playing a gritty borderline game? Ive read that maybe he's going to get some PP minutes over Suter in a foresable future, what do you guys think?

Sry again for the flooding of your board with fantasys questions (and for my deficient English as well :( )

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Scandy changed his stick height and worked on his shooting all summer so his increased production is directly related to that. It may dip down some but I'm willing to bet he will lead the wilds d in goals at the end of the season.

Not sure about the PIM.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Guessing c word from that check he took against (Dallas I think)? Where he was pushed from behind and then hit up high. Played through it. Then, the slapshot to the noggin jarred something and he started feeling off. Seen it time and time again with concussions and this team. But then again, could be a shoulder

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
NHL.com

Scandella was hurt early in the third period Tuesday in a loss to the San Jose Sharks with an upper-body injury and did not return to that game. He also didn't practice Wednesday, but Yeo said he was feeling better today and could return as soon as Saturday against the Nashville Predators.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

287iu6o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad