Value of: Marco Rossi +

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
MN would be looking for a high 1st in this years draft - our offer would be something like

Marco Rossi + 2024 3rd

Would prefer to keep our first - the plus along with Rossi can be negotiated....looking to get into the top 5 ideally. What's your teams best offer and what would the plus need to look like?

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
MN would be looking for a high 1st in this years draft - our offer would be something like

Marco Rossi + 2024 3rd

Would prefer to keep our first - the plus along with Rossi can be negotiated....looking to get into the top 5 ideally. What's your teams best offer and what would the plus need to look like?
No chance you’re getting into the top 5 with that kind of package.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
As I said in the rest of the post if you read past the Rossi + 2024 3rd rounder - The plus is up for negotiation....

So - what would it take in your opinion?

Keep in mind - Rossi is a 22 year old rookie C with 20 goals and 17 assists so far this year.

He is what you hope a top 5 pick does in his Rookie year.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
As I said in the rest of the post if you read past the Rossi + 2024 3rd rounder - The plus is up for negotiation....

Keep in mind - Rossi is a 22 year old rookie C with 20 goals and 17 assists so far this year.

If that’s the case just keep Rossi?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Why would a team that desperately needs center depth trade a young center who just put up 20 goals for futures?

Because we need more urgent help in other area's right now. Our D prospect pool is more depleted than our F pool - we are 2 years out from competing for anything and Rossi is a piece that I could stomach losing if it meant landing one of the solid D prospects in this years draft.

If that’s the case just keep Rossi?

Thats not the premise of the thread - I value some of the high end D prospects in this draft over Rossi.

Why do people on HFBoards always take the "best available" regardless of position approach? Its just silly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because we need more urgent help in other area's right now. Our D prospect pool is more depleted than our F pool - we are 2 years out from competing for anything and Rossi is a piece that I could stomach losing if it meant landing one of the solid D prospects in this years draft.

Thats not the premise of the thread - I value some of the high end D prospects in this draft over Rossi.

Why do people on HFBoards always take the "best available" regardless of position approach? Its just silly.
I’d imagine every team in the top 10 would value all those D, and the forwards, much higher than Rossi as well.

Reactions: AslanRH

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
While it doesn't make much sense for the Sharks to trade for Rossi I do think Rossi is worth a top five pick in this draft. Rossi looks like he will be a top 6 center and is only 22 years old. It seems to me that if you draft a player in the top five you hope that he develops like Rossi has so far. Rossi may have lower "upside" than a draft pick because he is older but Rossi is a much safer bet to become a good player than someone like berkly catton.

• Wow
Reactions: Grinner

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

The bolded has yet to be determined. We only know the defense pool is weak because we've seen them play in Iowa all year. This time next year we may be asking to trade Silayev+ for Rossi.

This is why I'd really prefer to wait before trading away guys who are still developing.

Reactions: MuckOG

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Yes at 18-19 not 22 years old.

Sorry but nothing realistic you can add to Rossi that gets you near a top 5 pick. This just ain’t it my friend

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I’d imagine every team in the top 10 would value all those D, and the forwards, much higher than Rossi as well.

Its the old Mystery Box vs a proven commodity deal.

Some teams love the mystery box - other teams wanting to accelerate their rebuild...might take a different approach.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
While it doesn't make much sense for the Sharks to trade for Rossi I do think Rossi is worth a top five pick in this draft. Rossi looks like he will be a top 6 center and is only 22 years old. It seems to me that if you draft a player in the top five you hope that he develops like Rossi has so far. Rossi may have lower "upside" than a draft pick because he is older but Rossi is a much safer bet to become a good player than someone like berkly catton.
If it doesn’t make much sense for SJ why would it make any more sense for all the other teams picking top 5?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Yes at 18-19 not 22 years old.

Sorry but nothing realistic you can add to Rossi that gets you near a top 5 pick. This just ain’t it my friend

He may be 22 - but he is also on the 2nd year of his ELC, so he is a cost controlled asset...I don't see how his age impacts the decision if the financial decision is the same for a team?

The bolded has yet to be determined. We only know the defense pool is weak because we've seen them play in Iowa all year. This time next year we may be asking to trade Silayev+ for Rossi.

This is why I'd really prefer to wait before trading away guys who are still developing.

This is a fair take and probably the prudent approach - but I just don't see the progress I think we need to see in our D prospects to give me hope.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Its the old Mystery Box vs a proven commodity deal.

Some teams love the mystery box - other teams wanting to accelerate their rebuild...might take a different approach.
So you’d be one of the teams loving the mystery box?

If you could find any team willing to trade a top 5 pick for a Rossi package I’d be beyond astonished. Those picks are highly valued, and a small C, good as he may be, isn’t going to entice any teams.

The teams will take their guy at the draft with a top 5 pick, and be very happy.

Nobody is going to look to accelerate their rebuild sacrificing a top 5 pick for a guy like Rossi. That would be absolutely horrible for them.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He may be 22 - but he is also on the 2nd year of his ELC, so he is a cost controlled asset...I don't see how his age impacts the decision if the financial decision is the same for a team?

This is a fair take and probably the prudent approach - but I just don't see the progress I think we need to see in our D prospects to give me hope.
Also a very fair take.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

That isn't something we can't fix once we have more cap space. We have plenty of d prospects, just not a whole lot of them with big offensive upside. We also don't even know Rossi's upside yet, take care of our multi decades long need for centers first.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
If it doesn’t make much sense for SJ why would it make any more sense for all the other teams picking top 5?
Because we are way earlier into our rebuild than other teams who are contenders for the top five picks. SJ lacks the young talent in the NHL that other teams have. Chicago has Bedard and Korchinski in the NHL already, the Ducks have Zegras, Mctavish, Carlsson, and mintyukov in the NHL already. The Blue Jackets have made several moves in the past with the intentions of contending in the present and have Johnson, Jiricek, and Fantili near their team right now. SJ has Eklund in the NHL and Muk who might be ready to play in the NHL right now. Maybe they sign Will Smith this year and he plays a few games but he could also stay in college another year. If any of those teams want young talent now who better align with the timelines of their players it could make sense to acquire Rossi for the present and future instead of someone who is likely 2-3 years away.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

How can you not see that? You expect a top 5 pick to perform at a similar pace at 19-20 years old, not 22.

A bigger, stronger, younger, more skilled & talented Dach was traded for #13. A better comparable for Rossi would be Newhook.

Because we are way earlier into our rebuild than other teams who are contenders for the top five picks. SJ lacks the young talent in the NHL that other teams have. Chicago has Bedard and Korchinski in the NHL already, the Ducks have Zegras, Mctavish, Carlsson, and mintyukov in the NHL already. The Blue Jackets have made several moves in the past with the intentions of contending in the present and have Johnson, Jiricek, and Fantili near their team right now. SJ has Eklund in the NHL and Muk who might be ready to play in the NHL right now. Maybe they sign Will Smith this year and he plays a few games but he could also stay in college another year. If any of those teams want young talent now who better align with the timelines of their players it could make sense to acquire Rossi for the present and future instead of someone who is likely 2-3 years away.
Let’s be realistic for a moment, would you trade ANY of the players you mentioned above for Rossi? I wouldn’t. You don’t trade potential building blocks for complementary pieces like Rossi. He’s good, but he ain’t it

On top of that, all those teams are still rebuilding and nowhere near close to compete again. Rossi ain’t it

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Marco Rossi + 2024 3rd

Rossi drafted at what... 9? You arent getting a top 20 at this point.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Rossi's had a great season and looks good going forward, but I imagine if a team is picking in the top-5 (or close to it), they'd be looking for something else.

Forget, top-5, lets look at the current top-11 worst teams in the NHL (outside of a lottery win, the top -10 picks will likely go to 10 of these teams):

San Jose Sharks - Not trading a top-3 pick (may consider trading Pittsburgh's 1st for Rossi + if it conveys, but they're in more of a rebuild)
Chicago Blackhawks - Already have an undersized center in future superstar Bedard, would need a more complementary C to consider moving a top-5 pick
Anaheim Ducks - Have McTavish, Carlsson, Gauthier and Zegras, don't need Rossi
Columbus Blue Jackets - Have Jenner as veteran leader and Fantilli, Sillinger and Johnson. Could be interested in Rossi, but hard to imagine for their 1st
Arizona Coyotes - Could use center help, but they already have Cooley as a young undersized center and would probably be better off using their pick and prospect depth to address center instead.
Ottawa Senators - I don't think they'd move a 1st for Rossi, they have Stutzle, Pinto and Grieg (and Norris) and have other areas of serious need
Montreal Canadiens - Have Suzuki, Dach and Newhook, and would want someone who isn't undersized.
Calgary Flames - Probably the first realistic team on the list (especially if they're leaning more retool), but they have Kadri and Backlund at center and I can't really see Rossi as the guy they'd target (although it wouldn'r be a bad move)
Seattle Kraken - Maybe? Not quite sure what they want to do, but I think they need young D more than young C.
Pittsburgh Penguins - Rossi does not fix what ails them and if they get a top-10 pick then that would be the best piece to address that.
Buffalo Sabres - They're loaded with young forwards and forward prospects, Rossi isn't a target.

These are just my opinions, but I just don't see a fit unless the + is something the Wild shouldn't do. Just keep Rossi, his bounce-back from heart complications has been impressive.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Because the draft is a crap shoot, and it's better to have the best chance at getting something good than having a slightly lower chance of getting what you think you need.

And, if the BPA plays a position that you don't necessarily need, you can always trade one of your surplus players for something you actually need in a hockey trade down the road, and get what you need, instead of a lottery ticket that has what you need as the grand prize.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
Unfortunately, this is the kind of idiotic win now move I could imagine Flames ownership forcing their management to make. The first would be around 9th though, so maybe the Flames add an additional pick and Minnesota drops the 3rd.

Let me be clear that I don't think this would be a good idea. But it would totally be in character for Flames ownership.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In this draft, with a clear #1, then a group of lesser players, I can see Rossi being a choice for a team who doesn't need top Dmen, has no cap worries, and doesn't want to wait to develop a forward. The list of teams that fit that description is pretty small, though. In another draft year he would have a different value.

I think it's more likely that he fetches a 5-10 pick. There is something to be said for a sure thing over a maybe, and jumping 2-4 years in development. Rossi is having a good year, and has shown steady progression as a prospect once he recovered from his Covid induced myocarditis.

I don't really see the motivation for MN here, though. A pick 2-5...maybe, but a 5- 10 .... ehh. Rossi is still cost controlled, and the Wild be out of cap hell after next season. I'd rather have a #2C, which is what Rossi appears to be on track to be.

I am fairly sure that there will be a better player in the 5-10 range than Rossi, but there might be one or so that is worse, then a couple of tossups. Seems like a lateral move.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sendhelplease

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad