Confirmed with Link: Marchessault Contract Extension (6 Year/5.0MM AAV)

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I hope not.

I don't think I'd like to see him go anywhere unless he drags in a huge haul, like 1st plus a good 19-20 year old prospect. If someone's willing to give that up, okay. I don't see it happening though.

If he's going to shoot for all the money and term, I guess.
You got a good point there, I'm sure if McPhee does not get what he wants in return, he will probably just try and signed him.
But I could see a lot of teams being very interested in Neal but like you said it all depends on what we can get a good return for him.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Great deal. A young, top 6 forward for 5 mil? Count me in. Hopefully more to follow.

Probably kept the cap hit at 5 because it was a 6 year deal going to age 33.

He does rely on his speed a bit for his game, but 33 is the perfect age where you start to lose a bit of a step. Perfect structure of the deal.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
March, the best ping pong player on the Vegas team.

Another decent contract extension by McPhee.

Exec of the year!

8669224_web1_ap_17103744793585-copy.jpg

Reactions: Nevada Jones

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I have to think he signed a "hometown" discounted contract in hopes that his teammates will do the same. I know, he's not from here, but looking at it that way. Something special is brewing here and they have to extend together if they don't want to break it all up. The Neal question is a good one. Speaking as his agent,I would demand max $$ and years. Speaking as his teammate, a more moderate price tag will keep him here long term. In the end, Neal will tell us which path he chooses by the results.
BTW- Shippy left something like $8m on the table for the next 2 years, so this is more or less his money.....

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I'm curious what everyone's priorities are for signings. We've got Marchy and McNabb (correct?) as new signings. Karlsson likely looks to be next. Still lots for FA's to go (Neal, Perron, Karlsson, Carrier, Nosek, Sbisa, Merril, Miller, Engelland, Theodore, Dansk). Where should GMGM go next?

For me, I would really like to see them hold on to Karlsson, Neal, Perron, Miller, Engelland and Theodore. Ideally, Engelland to a year to year given his age, but the guy should retire a knight. Neal would be great under a 3 yr contract if you can do it (he'd probably want longer though since this could be his last contract). Perron seems so valuable to the team that you have to try to keep him. Theodore has proven to be one of our hottest young prospects and will be pretty expensive coming off the ELC, but I think you have to keep him. A future D pairing of Theodore and Barnnstrom sounds pretty exciting! Miller might be our best all around D, and is still young (though with McNabb signed, are we set there?). This year has proven how important goalie depth is so Dansk would be great to keep if we can. Thoughts on Carrier and Sbisa?

I'm not a wiz at figuring CAP (even looking at the site posted earlier), so I wonder how much we should legitimately expect to keep vs move? Are the draft picks we have stocked up enough or should we be looking to add more?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm curious what everyone's priorities are for signings. We've got Marchy and McNabb (correct?) as new signings. Karlsson likely looks to be next. Still lots for FA's to go (Neal, Perron, Karlsson, Carrier, Nosek, Sbisa, Merril, Miller, Engelland, Theodore, Dansk). Where should GMGM go next?

For me, I would really like to see them hold on to Karlsson, Neal, Perron, Miller, Engelland and Theodore. Ideally, Engelland to a year to year given his age, but the guy should retire a knight. Neal would be great under a 3 yr contract if you can do it (he'd probably want longer though since this could be his last contract). Perron seems so valuable to the team that you have to try to keep him. Theodore has proven to be one of our hottest young prospects and will be pretty expensive coming off the ELC, but I think you have to keep him. A future D pairing of Theodore and Barnnstrom sounds pretty exciting! Miller might be our best all around D, and is still young (though with McNabb signed, are we set there?). This year has proven how important goalie depth is so Dansk would be great to keep if we can. Thoughts on Carrier and Sbisa?

I'm not a wiz at figuring CAP (even looking at the site posted earlier), so I wonder how much we should legitimately expect to keep vs move? Are the draft picks we have stocked up enough or should we be looking to add more?

I think Karlsson is the next pressing one. After that, I guess it doesn't matter too much and they'll likely get done.

The couple of exceptions I see are potentially Carrier and Sbisa, though that might just be because they haven't shown up on the ice due to the streak. Keeping Dansk would be pretty good since MAF is one year from a new contract and some potential changes, though backup/goalies in waiting seem to be fairly easy to find lately.

We've got a ton of draft picks through the draft though we're a little slim in 2018, which is supposed to be loaded. Cap-wise, I don't think there's many issues unless Karlsson, Neal, Sbisa, and Theodore clean up. The cap dumps we took start falling off next season and (apparently) we can just LTIR them and get that cap space back if needed, though I'd like someone to check that for me.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Karsson should have been signed first, preferably 2 months ago. Marchy deal makes things very expensive...

We are a team with 4 lines, and 30 mil$ is a lot of money.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Karlsson won't be signed until after the season, as well as any of the other RFAs. The UFAs are the only ones we need to worry about before the end of the season. Neil, Perron, Sbisa and Engelland.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
So obviously this particular contract is a good deal for the team, shouldn't be a problem down the road for us.

BUT

Just want to say that in general I detest 6+ year contracts. Only guys who should be getting those are the rare ones who earn it at a young age. And with them reportedly talking to Neal about a contract I really hope they're careful. As a former Kings fan those long contracts simply horrify me. And yes, I know that Brown is finally earning his ridiculous contract with his renaissance season, but still.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I get the feeling hockey players are mostly grounded enough to realize losing out on $5-10 million over a career isn't going to change their lifestyle when they are making nearly $50 million lifetime. NBA players need every dime to pay for their lifestyle and NFL player incomes are so uncertain with cut rules that I can see why there has been a sort of extract every penny mentality down to deciding which state to live in off season and what state to play on. Don't see or hear that in NHL so seems these guys just are a lot better with money and can decide on a place that makes them happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad