Speculation: Marchand the Center?

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
OK, this is gonna get me roasted, but if memory serves when Marchand first came up, he played some center. This was when he was still competin for 4th line minutes and we were still figuring out what we had. He seemed to have the speed, skill, and tenacity to stick at center but at the time we had great depth in that position with Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly and Campbell so he moved to wing.

Now we're looking at a couple center-shaped holes on the roster going forward and I'm wondering if it's in any way realistic to slide him back into his "original" position at center. Or if that ship has sailed and he's too old a dog to learn new tricks.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't recall him playing Center. But even if he did. Next year he is 35 years old and hasn't played Center in at least 15 years. He will not be moving to Center.

One center shape hole is clearly being filled with Zacha in the future. He has shown in recent weeks he is very effective there.

Reactions: HustleB and CDJ

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I don't recall him playing Center.
He definitely played some center in the A. I THINK I remember him filling in a couple times at the NHL level. This is something he was considered capable of as a prospect but that was, of course, a long time ago.

But even if he did. Next year he is 35 years old and hasn't played Center in at least 15 years. He will not be moving to Center.
That's fair. I come up with some weird ideas at times and just felt the need to get the board's view on why this one wouldn't work so I could put it to bed.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
OK, this is gonna get me roasted, but if memory serves when Marchand first came up, he played some center. This was when he was still competin for 4th line minutes and we were still figuring out what we had. He seemed to have the speed, skill, and tenacity to stick at center but at the time we had great depth in that position with Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly and Campbell so he moved to wing.

Now we're looking at a couple center-shaped holes on the roster going forward and I'm wondering if it's in any way realistic to slide him back into his "original" position at center. Or if that ship has sailed and he's too old a dog to learn new tricks.

Yes, ship has sailed.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Anytime a poster has to preface a post with "this is gonna get me roasted", it should be a clue to stop posting.

• Haha
Reactions: Alicat and LSCII

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anytime a poster has to preface a post with "this is gonna get me roasted", it should be a clue to stop posting.

Nah, look there was nothing offensive. He brainstormed and asked a question. Nothing wrong with that. Not all threads will be 1000 posts

sometimes the wackiest of ideas are in fact the most genius

Reactions: HustleB and Ritmo

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Start him at 4c so he can adapt 😉

But seriously, with our top d core and wingers like Pasta, DeBrusk or even Bertuzzi (colorful offseason for the front office) and top goalie, we should be able to attract a proper center in the near future.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Interestingly enough, Marchand was actually listed as a center when he was drafted and during his rookie year.

Screenshot_20230410_142021_eBay.jpg

But that was a long time ago and the Bruins have better options.

The position change I'm in favor of is Krejci to the third line RW/C to keep the hot line of Bert/Zacha/Pasta together.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Interestingly enough, Marchand was actually listed as a center when he was drafted and during his rookie year.

View attachment 685115
But that was a long time ago and the Bruins have better options.

The position change I'm in favor of is Krejci to the third line RW/C to keep the hot line of Bert/Zacha/Pasta together.
Well at least I'm sure I didn't hallucinate that.

Nah, look there was nothing offensive. He brainstormed and asked a question. Nothing wrong with that. Not all threads will be 1000 posts

sometimes the wackiest of ideas are in fact the most genius
Definitely more on the "wacky" side. For some reason I was thinking that morning about the experiment of trying Blake Wheeler as the #3 center before we went and got Chris Kelly. That was something we legit tried to do at one point and that WAS pretty wacky. Also didn't fail as spectacularly as one might have thought.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
He's not defensively responsible enough to play center.

He also has a 38% win rate on faceoffs over the last decade+.

This would not be a good idea.
I don’t agree with putting him at center, but any time he takes a faceoff it is because Bergeron got thrown out and if Marchand gets thrown out it is a penalty so he doesn’t really try.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I don’t agree with putting him at center, but any time he takes a faceoff it is because Bergeron got thrown out and if Marchand gets thrown out it is a penalty so he doesn’t really try.

That doesn't make sense. He can take the faceoff as long as he doesn't commit any violations. If he doesn't know how to take a faceoff without commiting an infraction (highly doubtful) that's even less of a reason to put him at Center.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
His greatest assets of posession/recovery along the wall, and fast/agile cuts to create passing lanes to the high slot are lost with him playing C. That would be putting a square peg in a round hole so no way josé. He is already losing a bit of that agility due to the hips and age so they need to maximise what he's got and not turn his game upside down.

Reactions: wintersej

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
That doesn't make sense. He can take the faceoff as long as he doesn't commit any violations. If he doesn't know how to take a faceoff without commiting an infraction (highly doubtful) that's even less of a reason to put him at Center.
I think the stats are highly in favor of the opposing team whe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad