Line Combos: March 1st madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
i doubt Hayes will be in the middle after picking up Sheppard. itll shake the lines up a little but Hayes will be on the wing imo because Sheppard wins faceoffs and thats an area this team needed to address.

as far as defense goes, dont touch the top pair. Yandle can slide in anywhere under that and with Staal and Klein having the abilty to log super minutes this teams defense is the best I can remember. we were all concerned about the Hunwick/Moore combo and we've remedied that with Keith ****ing Yandle. and hes signed next year, for half price. Insanity.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
For those of you advocating it, why would the team play two players (Yandle, Klein) out of position? I can't see it happening. The team now has 3 excellent LHD and 3 good RHD. I sincerely doubt they'll be swapping.

Thats whats so scary. The lefty righty thing is so important to some teams that they insert a player on the bottom pair that really should be a 7th or 8th guy just to even things if have a bunch of lefties lr righties. The Rangers have 6 defensmen who all have played 1st pairing minutes against the other teams best.

Dropping Yandle, even to the second pairing allows him to focus a little less on whos coming at him. he could explode on team thats already averaging 3 goals a game. its scary to think what he could add if all goes right.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
i doubt Hayes will be in the middle after picking up Sheppard. itll shake the lines up a little but Hayes will be on the wing imo because Sheppard wins faceoffs and thats an area this team needed to address.

as far as defense goes, dont touch the top pair. Yandle can slide in anywhere under that and with Staal and Klein having the abilty to log super minutes this teams defense is the best I can remember. we were all concerned about the Hunwick/Moore combo and we've remedied that with Keith ****ing Yandle. and hes signed next year, for half price. Insanity.
I can't see AV breaking up Hagelin-Hayes-Miller while they're playing this well. I think Sheppard gets inserted on the 4th line until such time that the 3rd line stops its torrid pace. Then I suspect he'll start to switch it up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Wow, we'll seriously hurt out center depth if we do that. I pray to God that doesn't happen. Faceoffs is not a good enough reason to downgrade from Hayes to Sheppard in the middle. We'll have a below average 3rd line center over an above average one.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
Is the most talented lineup we've had since 94?
Based on talent level? I don't know - teams led by players like Gretzky (even if he was "only" scoring around 100 pts a year by that time), Messier, Leetch, etc. were extremely talented.

'94 might not even have been the most talented team of the decade. But what it did have was heart and will to win, and an excellent coach for the playoffs in Keenan.

I don't think teams in this day and age can amass elite talent like they could pre-cap. Today's NHL is a lot more about managing assets. That being said, the Rangers have managed their assets quite well this year. So we'll see.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Everyone is putting sheppard on the wing, didn't we bring him in because he's over 50% on draws and can be a 35-40 pt guy? I doubt he's here to play wing. I gotta imagine they think he can be our 3C so Hayes can move to wing and be more offensive till he improves on draws. It's too bad Lindberg hasn't developed into what we thought he'd be, I thought his scouting report was that he was an amazing Faceoff guy

Last edited:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
not interested in breaking up our 3rd line for Sheppard.. He can take Glass' spot on 4th line LW.. maybe if the 3rd line starts to struggle some, you can move him to 3rd center.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Everyone is putting sheppard on the wing, didn't we bring him in because he's over 50% on draws and can be a 35-40 pt guy? I doubt he's here to play wing. I gotta imagine they think he can be our 3C so Hayes can move to wing and be more offensive till he improves on draws

they also had 2 guys on the 4th line last year that won draws and they used late in the games to maintain the lead with Boyle and Moore, could be doing the same thing here.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Thats whats so scary. The lefty righty thing is so important to some teams that they insert a player on the bottom pair that really should be a 7th or 8th guy just to even things if have a bunch of lefties lr righties. The Rangers have 6 defensmen who all have played 1st pairing minutes against the other teams best.

Dropping Yandle, even to the second pairing allows him to focus a little less on whos coming at him. he could explode on team thats already averaging 3 goals a game. its scary to think what he could add if all goes right.

Doesnt he already play on the 2nd pairing under OEL and Michalek? He's gonna start on the "third" pair with lots of o-zone starts because it suits the strengths of his game, expect to see him get on the ice when Nash's line is taking draws in the o-zone

sir_captain

Mar 3, 2004
Everyone is putting sheppard on the wing, didn't we bring him in because he's over 50% on draws and can be a 35-40 pt guy? I doubt he's here to play wing. I gotta imagine they think he can be our 3C so Hayes can move to wing and be more offensive till he improves on draws. It's too bad Lindberg hasn't developed into what we thought he'd be, I thought his scouting report was that he was an amazing Faceoff guy

This would result in unbalanced lines because Sheppard has too little offensive game.
I much prefer the idea of Sheppard on the 4th line with no Glass and moving Moore or Sheppard up to the third line as needed to take faceoffs.

As for Lindberg, he's developing just fine. There's just not enough time left this season to see if he's ready for playoff hockey. I bet we'll see him in Sheppard's role next year.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-St. Louis
Hagelin-Hayes-Miller
Sheppard-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-Klein
Staal-Boyle

Hank

:win:

Yes qft. I would love Yandle with D. Boyle, but
maybe it's just me. :vhappy:

blueshirtbolt

Aug 12, 2009
Nash - Stepan - Zuccarello
Kreider - Brassard - St Louis
Hagelin - Hayes - Miller
Sheppard - Moore - Fast

McDonagh - Yandle
Girardi - Klein
Staal - Boyle

I like the idea of having a mix of defensive/offensive d on each line. Likely won't happen but I just love the sound of McDonagh and Yandle on top pairing.

I would prefer Boyle to go at the end of the season rather than Klein. That's hoping McIlrath or similar could step in and fill 3rd pairing defensive role. Then let Marty go, promote someone to his role and welcome in Buchnevich :nod:

Vidic15*

No way are we breaking up Hags-Hayes-Miller. That line is too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad