March 13th, 1971 NHL Coaches Poll - Toronto Star

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Came across this when researching another project, thought it would be fun to share. In an article written by Jim Proudfoot of the Toronto Star, dated March 13th, 1971, all of the NHL coaches were asked anonymously to submit their choices in various categories given by the Toronto Star. Each NHL head coach at the time participated.

Below I have listed the winners in each category. In brackets I have put the runner-ups in order of finish. Sometimes the article lists the runner-up only. Other times it goes a few players deep.

Most Underrated Player - Dennis Hull

Best Shot - Bobby Hull (Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Yvan Cournoyer)

Hardest Shot - Bobby Hull (Bobby Orr)

Best Stickhandler - Phil Esposito (Bobby Orr)

Best Penalty Killer - Derek Sanderson (Dave Keon)

Best Skater - Bobby Orr (Dave Keon)

Best Checker - Norm Ullman, Dave Keon tie

Best Referee - Jon Ashley, Art Skov tie

Best on Faceoffs - Derek Sanderson (Stan Mikita)

Best Fighter - John Ferguson (Orland Kurtenbach)

Most Dangerous Near Goal - Phil Esposito

Best Coach - Scotty Bowman (Red Kelly)

Smartest Player - Bobby Orr (Phil Esposito, Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau)

Best Bodychecker - Bob Baun, Bob Plager tie

Hardest Worker - Bobby Clarke (Jim Roberts)

Best Defensive Defenceman - Ted Harris, Al Arbour, Bobby Orr tie

Best Goalie - Jacques Plante (Tony Esposito, Bernie Parent, Ed Giacomin, Glenn Hall)

Best Young Player - Gilbert Perreault

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Nice stuff!

Haven't posters around here been quoting a similar poll for years? I think it was from later on in the 1970s, and Bobby Clarke won in a ton of categories.

The reason I ask is, maybe they did this every year for a while - it would be worth looking up!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm surprised they have Orr second to Bobby Hull in hardest shot. He rarely took a big wind up. Lemaire and Dennis Hull would have been up there at that time.

Also odd to see him as best defensive defenseman. I wonder how they worded that question, especially where he tied Harris and Arbour?

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Nice stuff!

Haven't posters around here been quoting a similar poll for years? I think it was from later on in the 1970s, and Bobby Clarke won in a ton of categories.

The reason I ask is, maybe they did this every year for a while - it would be worth looking up!
I think it was every 2 or 3 years that they did it.

GNick42

Came across this when researching another project, thought it would be fun to share. In an article written by Jim Proudfoot of the Toronto Star, dated March 13th, 1971, all of the NHL coaches were asked anonymously to submit their choices in various categories given by the Toronto Star. Each NHL head coach at the time participated.

Below I have listed the winners in each category. In brackets I have put the runner-ups in order of finish. Sometimes the article lists the runner-up only. Other times it goes a few players deep.

Most Underrated Player - Dennis Hull

Best Shot - Bobby Hull (Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Yvan Cournoyer)

Hardest Shot - Bobby Hull (Bobby Orr)

Best Skater - Bobby Orr (Dave Keon)

Best Referee - Jon Ashley, Art Skov tie

Best Fighter - John Ferguson (Orland Kurtenbach)

Best Coach - Scotty Bowman (Red Kelly)

Smartest Player - Bobby Orr (Phil Esposito, Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau)

Best Bodychecker - Bob Baun, Bob Plager tie

Hardest Worker - Bobby Clarke (Jim Roberts)

Best Goalie - Jacques Plante (Tony Esposito, Bernie Parent, Ed Giacomin, Glenn Hall)

Best Young Player - Gilbert Perreault

Hey, this is a great find...do you have a link? I'd like to read some of Proudfoot's old columns

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
wait, orr didnt even get an honorable mention for penalty killing? strange. i got the impression that orr could hold the pouck for pretty much the full 2 minutes of he wanted to.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
I'm surprised they have Orr second to Bobby Hull in hardest shot. He rarely took a big wind up. Lemaire and Dennis Hull would have been up there at that time.

Also odd to see him as best defensive defenseman. I wonder how they worded that question, especially where he tied Harris and Arbour?

I'm not surprised at all. Every time the question comes up about who had the hardest shot I always mention Orr. You are correct, very little wind up but very heavy.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that, good stuff.
I'm one of the few old enough to remember all these guys and its hard to disagree with any of it, especially nearly 40 years later.;)

Two things:

Kudo's for Kurtenbach being acknowledged as handy with the dukes and to Dennis Hull's recognition, he truly was buried in his brothers shadow.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
This is a great find, Candiens Fan. Thanks for posting it. A few comments:

A few people here consider Esposito slow, lumbering, and a product of Orr. I wouldn't exactly call him a graceful or elegant player, but his skill is underrated today.

Although he was before my time, Sanderson is still one of my all-time favourite players. I liked having him as my third line centre in ATD #10.

I've often stated that Ullman is an underrated. I always knew Ullman was a good defensive player but I never realized he was respected so highly.

Biggest no-brainer?

Every once in a while you get somebody who says Orr was only average defensively...

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
A few people here consider Esposito slow, lumbering, and a product of Esposito. I wouldn't exactly call him a graceful or elegant player, but his skill is underrated today.

He's a self-made man I guess! ;)

I've often stated that Ullman is an underrated. I always knew Ullman was a good defensive player but I never realized he was respected so highly.

I pick too many underrated players in the ATD, apparently. Syd Howe, Craig Ramsay, Norm Ullman, Clint Benedict... I always get you coming in and saying a few words about them, but they can never quite get me to the final!

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Hey, this is a great find...do you have a link? I'd like to read some of Proudfoot's old columns

There are two ways to access the old Toronto Star archives. One is through microfiche at various libraries or you can go on to the website "Pages of the Past" where for a fee you can search and/or browse through the old issues.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
How much does it cost? I pay to browse through the NY Times but perhaps this is an even better source.

From the Pages of the Past Website ....

1 Hour Subscription is $3.95 CDN
(1 consecutive hour to search Pages of the Past. Subscription is actual time not usage time).

24 Hour Subscription is $6.95 CDN
(24 consecutive hours to search Pages of the Past. Subscription is actual time not usage time).

72 Hour Subscription is $9.95 CDN
(72 consecutive hours to search Pages of the Past. Subscription is actual time not usage time).

7 Day Subscription is $14.95 CDN
(7 consecutive days to search Pages of the Past. Subscription is actual time not usage time).

1 Month Subscription is $29.95 CDN
(1 consecutive month to search Pages of the Past. Subscription is actual time not usage time).

1 Year Subscription is $149.95 CDN
(1 consecutive year to search Pages of the Past. Subscription is actual time not usage time).

There is also an added GST charge.

By the way, if you don't mind sharing what is the New York Times charge for their service ??

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It is US$14.95 a month and it has been a real goldmine. It comes to about CAD$17. You can browse unlimited articles back to the 60s or something, and up to 100 from as early as 1951. You get them as .pdf files. It uses character recognition to find what you're looking for, but the .pdf files themselves are not set up to be searchable or copiable. Anything you find there that you want to share, must be typed out yourself.

GNick42

There are two ways to access the old Toronto Star archives. One is through microfiche at various libraries or you can go on to the website "Pages of the Past" where for a fee you can search and/or browse through the old issues.

Thanks...going there now

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
A few people here consider Esposito slow, lumbering, and a product of Orr. I wouldn't exactly call him a graceful or elegant player, but his skill is underrated today.

The poll was taken when Espo was at his peak. He wasn't the most graceful, more of a puck pusher, but a very smart one, and he had great hands and could guard the puck better than anyone while out muscling the defense around the net.

Orr was a better stickhandler IMO. Easily the best penalty killer on the planet at that time, possibly ever, as well (as bunjay mentioned). I suspect whatever question was asked on that one implied forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad