Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Depends on the size of the bag, but $50 sounds like a good guess.

Might get a good price on that online marketplace that starts with an "A". I would say the bag is no bigger than a plastic Pathmark grocery sack.

Deleted member 23124

Staal was drafted in 2005. I know this because it was my draft year (I went undrafted).
Interesting...when I googled it, it said 2007 -- now it says 2005....even still, his first year with the big club was 2007, so that still explains why renney didn't use him.

Thanks for the correction.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I heard I was on the Rangers' radar, but I played a very similar game to Mike Sauer, and they went with him because he owned a pair of skates and I didn't.

I'll bet the organization regrets going with Sauer over you.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
D-v4zMUXYAA7lQO.jpg

"Solid bottom pair D"
There's a reason why - once upon a time - there was a heated debate whether NYR should buy out Girardi or Staal. There was only room to buy out one. They were both garbage and are still garbage. And while we signed them to $5.5m contracts, NYR treated Strålman like garbage and kicked him out to the curb (NO, I will NEVER be done with that). Par for the course. The New York Rangers management has traditionally seeped of their garbage decisions and garbage moves.

Until there are competent people taking the decisions, this franchise will never have a chance to win a cup. It starts there. I have to say it looks better now with unproven cards than before with cigar smoking idiots. But there's a long way to walk to correct this wreck. Every decision matters.

So here we are, with Marc Staal as a defenseman at 2020. You're not winning anything with him on the team. His salary is merely the slap in the face.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
There's a reason why - once upon a time - there was a heated debate whether NYR should buy out Girardi or Staal. There was only room to buy out one. They were both garbage and are still garbage. And while we signed them to $5.5m contracts, NYR treated Strålman like garbage and kicked him out to the curb (NO, I will NEVER be done with that). Par for the course. The New York Rangers management has traditionally seeped of their garbage decisions and garbage moves.

Until there are competent people taking the decisions, this franchise will never have a chance to win a cup. It starts there. I have to say it looks better now with unproven cards than before with cigar smoking idiots. But there's a long way to walk to correct this wreck. Every decision matters.

So here we are, with Marc Staal as a defenseman at 2020. You're not winning anything with him on the team. His salary is merely the slap in the face.

This is the best management since '94. Every franchise has decisions they regret, in hindsight.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gorton inherited a mess. It is going to take time to set it back on track. But I feel much more comfortable about management of the team than I have probably since the early 90s.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Gorton inherited a mess. It is going to take time to set it back on track. But I feel much more comfortable about management of the team than I have probably since the early 90s.

Calling it a mess is a bit inaccurate, I mean Gorton inherited a team that had just been to back to back ECFs.

What he definitely did inherit was a depleted farm system, and he did a great job of using big club assets he also inherited (Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarello, Hayes, Nash, McDonagh, etc) to rebuild it. Having that talent to trade was likely a big help.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yeah, I agree with you all, this is the most modern and forward thinking management NYR has had in decades and that's a good thing. Sign less dead weight and sign more corks that lift above the surface. That's a good start.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Calling it a mess is a bit inaccurate, I mean Gorton inherited a team that had just been to back to back ECFs.

What he definitely did inherit was a depleted farm system, and he did a great job of using big club assets he also inherited (Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarello, Hayes, Nash, McDonagh, etc) to rebuild it. Having that talent to trade was likely a big help.
You are not wrong in what you describing. That said when lumping in the cap space and a completely depleted farm system, he had to get creative. The team was clearly on the downside and he had to move quickly.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Buying out Staal saves $2.8 million in cap space this season and $2 million in cap space next season. That's a pretty obvious move to create cap and roster flexibility at the same time. I don't see what the dilemma is, especially since the Rangers have a ton of lefty blueliners on ELCs ready to fight for spots.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Buying out Staal saves $2.8 million in cap space this season and $2 million in cap space next season. That's a pretty obvious move to create cap and roster flexibility at the same time. I don't see what the dilemma is, especially since the Rangers have a ton of lefty blueliners on ELCs ready to fight for spots.

So your saying Smith over Staal ?

Skjei will stay then say Hajek and Rykov ....Atleast Smith is easier to scratch

Would Staal waive to MN for say Foligno ?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Look at the hits later on. That is one thing. Second of all, there is no chance Gorton is buying Staal out.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Look at the hits later on. That is one thing. Second of all, there is no chance Gorton is buying Staal out.

The hits later on are two years of $1.2 million. That's as close to negligible as it gets. What good reason is there for Gorton not to buy him out? Gorton bought out Girardi two years ago, what makes Staal any more untouchable? Staal's toast and the Rangers have no shortage of kids ready to take his spot.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The hits later on are two years of $1.2 million. That's as close to negligible as it gets. What good reason is there for Gorton not to buy him out? Gorton bought out Girardi two years ago, what makes Staal any more untouchable? Staal's toast and the Rangers have no shortage of kids ready to take his spot.
The only people who look at dead cap space and state "negligible" are fans. That is one thing. Second of all, Gorton is not buying out a player who is immensely respected in the locker room and is a leader and a role model for the young kids. If he could trade him, he would. But I do not see a buy out coming.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The only people who look at dead cap space and state "negligible" are fans. That is one thing. Second of all, Gorton is not buying out a player who is immensely respected in the locker room and is a leader and a role model for the young kids. If he could trade him, he would. But I do not see a buy out coming.

He bought our girardi

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He bought our girardi
I knew this would come up.

What do I know? Nothing, John Snow. I just feel like Staal is in a different category. Just my gut feeling. Then again, Gorton has shown that he cares very little for what players or people think or feel. There is a plan and he is sticking to it. My gut just says that this one would be extra delicate.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm a Staal guy.... but...

Things Staal is still good for: Long reach, heady patient player, locker room presence
Things Staal is no longer good at: Skating, playing defense, answering 'how many fingers am I holding up'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad