Marc Staal quietly becomming a two-way threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Marc Staal is putting up some SERIOUSLY impressive numbers in the OHL this year so far. Once thought of as much more of a stay at home kinda guy, he seems to be really showing his two-way game.

Impressive as hell and I've heard he's an absolutely amazing team leader (hence why he's wearing the C).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's nice to see. I've heard he's pretty much dominating in the OHL and really doesn't have much left to proove. That's a good thing since most Ranger fans are penciling him into the starting line-up next year. The kid is a lot better than first billed.

I was never a big fan of him before (I think I've made that apparant a few times), but his play in pre-season and now in the OHL with this two-way game have really changed my opinions on him.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Marc Staal - Offensive Upside

So far....

Marc Staal Sudbury Wolves 10GP 5G 8A 13P

Does he have a better offensive game than some of us might have been led to believe?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Mallard said:
So far....

Marc Staal Sudbury Wolves 10GP 5G 8A 13P

Does he have a better offensive game than some of us might have been led to believe?

It's hard to say because look at the numbers some guys are putting up so far, pretty inflated if you ask me!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Looks like we finally found a dance partner for Bourdon. I can't wait for the future it's going to be just like 94' all over again. :sarcasm:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
if you are gonna pat him on the back for the off, you have to talk about the bad as well. like the other day when he was a -4 while 2nd round pick, mcquaid was a +1 in the same game. not saying he aint good, but you guys seem to be getting ahead of yourselves a bit

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
HabLover said:
It's hard to say because look at the numbers some guys are putting up so far, pretty inflated if you ask me!

Yea if your comparing his #'s to offensivmen. Again, he's first among defensivmen.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
RDriesen16 said:
if you are gonna pat him on the back for the off, you have to talk about the bad as well. like the other day when he was a -4 while 2nd round pick, mcquaid was a +1 in the same game. not saying he aint good, but you guys seem to be getting ahead of yourselves a bit

+- is pretty overrated. How do you know what type of goals the goalie was giving up, or if Staals undrafted partner was having mental cramps in the game, you don't. He could have been at fault for all those GA..maybe...nobody knows unless someone saw the game...if you did please post.

Last edited:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
FLYLine88 said:
+- is pretty overrated. How do you know what type of goals the goalie was giving up, or if Staals undrafted partner was having mental cramps in the game, you don't. He could have been at fault for all those GA..maybe...nobody knows unless someone saw the game...if you did please post.
I didn't see that game, but Staal has been dynamite so far, he's just been all over the ice, I didn't see him last year, so I'm not so sure how his game has progressed, but his offensive reads have been stellar, he reminds me a lot of Rhett Warrener out in Calgary, tough, great leader and has underrated offense. I still think Staal will top out at 30-35 points in his career year, but he will be excellent in his end for years.

BTW, his younger brother Jordan is looking dynamite for this years draft.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
RDriesen16 said:

Alright! The ULTIMATE telling of how great a player is! The +/- stat! Oh, boy, how can anyone ever defend that?

turnbuckle*

I know of at least three scouts that had Staal in their top three entering the draft, one even had him second overall. That's why I ws frankly shocked to see him drop to 12th, and to be honest he was, and still is, the player I wanted the Habs to select - we don't even have a number one defenceman on the team (although Markov is getting close), let alone in the prospect department.

The scout who had him second overall kept telling me last season that there was lots of untapped potential in Staal that would come out with maturity.

NYRGoalieGlut*

If he continues this new found offense and it translates into the NHL, will he potentially be a #1 defenseman? Many people called him a #2 at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad