Marc Bergevin: The Polygraph Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

Last post before I go out for a bit.

Isn't bergevin tieing himself to therrien if he brings him back?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

On the surface, sure, an employer will make the right noises about loyalty and confidence in an employee. But how much weight do those nice words carry? Hard to say. In hockey there's no such thing as individual loyalty at the expense of the team. Bergevin better realize that and act on it.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
What if Bergevin views every million dollars spent as a lost opportunity to sign another smallish 4th line tweener? Pk is making 9 million which could be 9 smallish 4th line tweeners instead. Can this possibly be why Bergevin wants PK gone? So he can feed his addiction of signing smallish 4th line tweeners to multi year deals, maybe?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

His extension hasn't even kicked in yet. He didn't double-down on Therrien, he split pairs. He knows his job is more than safe, he has no one to report to and only one "bad" season according to superficial analysis.

He's not in trouble whatsoever, and the longer he establishes himself as the GM the more complacent the fanbase and media will be to his consistent mediocrity.

In response to the previous discussion:
you said "BargainBin has categorically rejected signing ufa's "

then I said what about Justin Williams.

You don't seem to follow the discussion.
BargainBin has not signed any good UFAs. That's the implication in saying "categorically rejected signing UFAs" - he has literally gone on record as saying that July 1st isn't his day, that teams aren't built through free agency, that good players don't move on that day and that there aren't bargain to be had.

Failing to sign Williams isn't a coup. Even if he had signed Williams, he wouldn't have been a CORE player. Good teams with good GMs add CORE players. Jim Nill added at least three to Dallas, and that's a team on a budget that was mired in mediocrity before he showed up. BargainBin could've kept Briere, acquire PAP, signed Semin, Kassian, Sekac and Fleischmann and ALSO signed Williams and they would've all still been superficial, not-enough, or over-the-hill additions.

Not a single core player.

And you know what? Josh Gorges' career high is 23 points, Jeff Petry's is 27. Petry is definitely and definitively better than Josh Gorges but he is far from being a key player or a core player - he is a 2nd pairing d-man at best and it's looking increasingly likely that his post-trade hot-streak was exactly that. Ever since he got rocked and owned by Jamie Benn he played poorly or was injured this season. BargainBin's great-white-hope better step up next year or he's going to be a cap anchor more than a coup.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Molson has to step in and fire MB. It's unacceptable to bring back MT for another year.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
MB said himself that he did his best. that best of his amounted to zero. so why would the Org continue to employ a GM who's best adds up to nothing?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Bergevin is on the thinnest of threads for me. If he doesn't do what needs to be done and fire MT.....he should be the FIRST one gone.

It shows a lack of judgement and disconnect with the fans and city. You cannot run a hockey team like a old boy's club, ala Edmonton. Hiring and sticking by your friends, isn't noble, it's selfish.

If you want to surround yourself with Yes men and friends, you should not be the GM of what should be the best hockey team in the world.

It's truly depressing that we are at this point. I had really high hopes for Bergevin and patience.

The excuses today will be as follows:

-Michel did a good job, we lost the best player in the world (Price)
-You cannot make trades nowadays.
-I have faith in Michel, it's on me not him.

I really get chills thinking about this presser.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Originally posted by ECWHSWI
Subban and Petry played respectively 14 and 12 of the 14 games in december, Gallagher didnt play : below .500
Subban and Gallagher played all of the 11 games in January, Petry 10 / 11 : another month below .500
Subban and Gallagher again played all February games, Petry only 4 : another sub .500
half the games missed by Subban were AFTER the Habs were officially eliminated.
makes for a great excuse though.

Great post. That's what some people are missing blaming all the injuries for missing the playoffs. Despite being relatively healthy, excluding Price, in Dec, Jan and Feb the losing skid continued. The absence of Price along with the poor decisions by the coach and gm are the reasons this team failed to reach the post season. By the time the majority of injuries occurred late in the season the team was already behind the 8-ball.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
No matter what is said at today's presser, I'll withold my judgement until I see the summer. Last season end presser he said Galchenyuk may never play C....then it came out that his season end interview with Chucky he told him he was playing C.

So, if by the end of the summer Bergevin hasn't gotten two more bonafied top 6 players and brought in a new coaching staff....well....at that point, I will officially have my pitchfork and torch out....but for now, they are just sharpened and ready to go.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I just lost faith in Bergevin. Him keeping Therrien did it for me. Can't wait for another disaster season next year so they can both get fired.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
There's no way he fires Therrien. The guy is too chicken **** to do anything except keep the status quo.

Yep agree completely.

Enough of this 'let's wait to see what he does this summer' BS too. I'm really sick of waiting to see what he does each summer.

If we keep the same coach, we are still gonna have the same issues. TRY luring the best UFAs here when we have one of the worst coaches in the league......

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I'll tell you what he'll do this summer.

- Acquire a couple of 4th liners on waivers and they'll end up playing top 6 minutes.

That's it.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
His extension hasn't even kicked in yet. He didn't double-down on Therrien, he split pairs. He knows his job is more than safe, he has no one to report to and only one "bad" season according to superficial analysis.

He's not in trouble whatsoever, and the longer he establishes himself as the GM the more complacent the fanbase and media will be to his consistent mediocrity.

In response to the previous discussion:

BargainBin has not signed any good UFAs. That's the implication in saying "categorically rejected signing UFAs" - he has literally gone on record as saying that July 1st isn't his day, that teams aren't built through free agency, that good players don't move on that day and that there aren't bargain to be had.

Failing to sign Williams isn't a coup. Even if he had signed Williams, he wouldn't have been a CORE player. Good teams with good GMs add CORE players. Jim Nill added at least three to Dallas, and that's a team on a budget that was mired in mediocrity before he showed up. BargainBin could've kept Briere, acquire PAP, signed Semin, Kassian, Sekac and Fleischmann and ALSO signed Williams and they would've all still been superficial, not-enough, or over-the-hill additions.

Not a single core player.

And you know what? Josh Gorges' career high is 23 points, Jeff Petry's is 27. Petry is definitely and definitively better than Josh Gorges but he is far from being a key player or a core player - he is a 2nd pairing d-man at best and it's looking increasingly likely that his post-trade hot-streak was exactly that. Ever since he got rocked and owned by Jamie Benn he played poorly or was injured this season. BargainBin's great-white-hope better step up next year or he's going to be a cap anchor more than a coup.

Great post

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A familiar refrain ... 2012-2013

Here's what some posters had to say at the end of the 2012-2013 season:

Subban, Prust and the Gallys were the best part of the season for me, lots of work for M.B. this off season .

When your only move at the trade deadline is signing Davis Drewiske (where the hell has he been anyway?), you are letting the rest of the NHL know that either you have no idea what you are doing or you are signaling to the rest of the NHL that you have surrendered a very good season and are not serious about competing in the playoffs.

I was one of the most vocal about Bergevin not taking any action during a very good season. He basically threw the season away.

That decision sucks for the Habs players who competed hard without management giving them some help.

Maybe Bergevin will learn......or maybe he is just another incompetent Montreal GM.

We will find out soon enough with the moves he makes. So far not encouraged by what I have seen but hope he makes up for his biggest mistake of his short career.

This upcoming summer is the time to see if bergevin has the guts to take this team to the next level ]

1) six draft picks in the first three rounds
2) what he does with players like gionta, kabrle,webber ryder
3) will the desharnais signing become justifiable ( I will give him to the middle of next year)
4) What players does he bring in to compliment the young guys ( Morrow, Murray guys like that)

This summer will be a fun to one to watch.

So many cons he is a questionable GM already.

At least the future wasn't mortgaged.

(Habs sure could have used Ryan McD, eh? .... whatever)

Sound familiar? :laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1425663&highlight=best

(reposted by request)

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's mind boggling that there are still people here who support this guy and expect him to "finally" make that move that the team has needed for many years now.

It's like they think the guy is hiding some crazy gambit and has been playing the long game all this time and he's FINALLY ready to reveal his hand.

At a certain point, you got to realize the guy is bluffing. I can understand that you're embarrassed to admit you have been fooled by his charm and silver tongue but it happens to the best of us. I mean the guy managed to weasel his way into a huge contract that pays him millions and millions of dollars until 2022. At least you're not on the hook for that. Imagine?

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
I guarantee you that three of the following will be stated by Bargainbin today:

- Price's injury made it difficult to win
- I have full faith in Michel Therien
- Making trades without creating holes in the depth chart is hard
- Injuries to Petry, Gallagher, whoever made it hard to win games
- Build through the draft

I don't think we'll get anything of substance from the GM today or the coach. Aka the usual regurgitated PR stuff you expect from press conferences. All we can do now is wait for the summer for Bergie to make moves, but I'm not even sure he'll do that.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's mind boggling that there are still people here who support this guy and expect him to "finally" make that move that the team has needed for many years now.

It's like they think the guy is hiding some crazy gambit and has been playing the long game all this time and he's FINALLY ready to reveal his hand.

At a certain point, you got to realize the guy is bluffing. I can understand that you're embarrassed to admit you have been fooled by his charm and silver tongue but it happens to the best of us. I mean the guy managed to weasel his way into a huge contract that pays him millions and millions of dollars until 2022. At least you're not on the hook for that. Imagine?

very well said

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I guarantee you that two of the following will be stated by Bargainbin today:

- Price's injury made it difficult to win
- I have full faith in Michel Therien
- Making trades without creating holes in the depth chart is hard
- Injuries to Petry, Gallagher, whoever made it hard to win games
- Build through the draft

You forgot playstation, trade don't happen and doing anything is hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad