Marc Bergevin - Kickstart My Heart Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
Not saying I necessarily support it (or that I don't), but in the interest of tanking, is it impossible to trade Price with this contract?

I doubt it would happen anyway (though I would've said the same about PK) but we will never fully be able to tank with him in goal. Realistically it may not matter since Bergevin probably thinks this team is a couple tough grinders away from a cup, but it is becoming clearer by the day that this team is not that good and sadly we do not have the best prospects for the future.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'll note that Bergevin's narcissistic love for grinders is not unusual for hockey, as former journeymen take a disproportionate share of management positions throughout the league.

One sentence we used to hear all the time was that "third lines wins cups". It was a common dumb statement around 2010.

You know, Anaheim won the cup because of the Moen-Pahlsson- Niedermeyer line, and Chicago won the cup because of Bryan Bickel, and Pittsburgh won the cup because of Max Talbot people actually did spout and genuinely believe that garbage, and Bergevin continues to believe it.

Which is why the Habs are filled with the likes of Danault, Plekanec, Hemsky, Shaw, Benn, and other assorted mediocrities, Bergevin thinks those guys win championships.

They don't win shit. What does help though is that if you have an outstanding first line involving guys like Getzlaf, Kane, or Crosby, you end up relieving the pressure on your bottom six which gives them the opportunity to shine. Similarly, Danault would look great as a first line centre, as he did when he played that position last year.

And that's part of why the Habs miss Radulov. They're not just missing Radulov's offense. They're missing the offense that the bottom six guys are no longer scoring when Radulov is on the bench.​

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I'll note that Bergevin's narcissistic love for grinders is not unusual for hockey, as former journeymen take a disproportionate share of management positions throughout the league.

One sentence we used to hear all the time was that "third lines wins cups". It was a common dumb statement around 2010.

You know, Anaheim won the cup because of the Moen-Pahlsson- Niedermeyer line, and Chicago won the cup because of Bryan Bickel, and Pittsburgh won the cup because of Max Talbot people actually did spout and genuinely believe that garbage, and Bergevin continues to believe it.

Which is why the Habs are filled with the likes of Danault, Plekanec, Hemsky, Shaw, Benn, and other assorted mediocrities, Bergevin thinks those guys win championships.

They don't win ****. What does help though is that if you have an outstanding first line involving guys like Getzlaf, Kane, or Crosby, you end up relieving the pressure on your bottom six which gives them the opportunity to shine. Similarly, Danault would look great as a first line centre, as he did when he played that position last year.​

Makes sense to me, also explains why Chucky was asked to grind more. They confused his skill for not trying and thought to themselves stop trying to use your skill just work hard and the rest will come! Talent matters, offensive chemistry matters and skill players are required to setup plays/score goals. Nah...Better to pigeonhole Galchenyuk and then wonder why we can't score goals.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
King Bergevin is responsible for all things good & bad, however yee are only allowed to discuss thy good things.

You must not offend our grace, to do such will result in beheading.

Bergevin's been GM for six years. This is his team by now. He owns the failures and the successes of the 2018 campaign.

That said, when Bergevin does get fired, I hope he unleashes and doesn't hold back on his narcissistic self. I want him to have an angry, glorious press conference in which he blames Bob Gainey, Pierre Gauthier, Geoff Molson, Alex Galchenyuk, Philippe Couillard, Jiri Sekac, PK Subban, etc etc etc one by one for his failures, that he blame everyone except himself. I want his true self to be on the record.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
How this man is still a GM in the NHL I do not get. He seriously does not see to have a real plan and it has been evident for the last couple of years.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm still expecting the unexpected............

Remember when he went on record saying he traded Beaulieu because of cap implications in the future?

Remember when he said our defense was the same or better? Or that the strength of it was puck movement? Or when he said he doesn't want to be known as a defensive team?

His delusions and inability to properly assess anything as a GM are no longer becoming unexpected to me.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
No truer sign of demagoguery than the use of whataboutisms.
I like this post!!

What about letting Radulov walk?
What about Chucky playing here or there?
What about Price being the only reason...?

Today, we finally agree on something.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
What I would give to get back to the core Bergevin walked in with back in 2012.
Exactly, if I had a choice as incoming GM between the 2012 roster and today's roster I would choose the 2012 situation 10 times out of 10.

And that is really revealing that in 6 years Bergevin has managed to really water down every aspect of the team from prospects to core.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
So who is the next French general manger ? Anyone have any names ? I can’t think of anyone right now .

brianp1950

Sep 28, 2017
Far far from a Bergevin guy. Can't stand him but he tried hard to trade Galchenyuk. No one wants this guy. He's a dog. Until he shows up game after game , he will continue being a dog. His compete level is non existent for a guy with his supposed skill set
then why the hell did MB sign him to a lousy contract? that is on Mb. As usual the habs ruined this guy.

David25

Nov 22, 2016
Why does this fan base panic so fast? Give this team at least 15 games before we start shit talking them. Anyone remember the horrible start the caps had last year? And guess what, they won the presidents. Pens let in 15 goals in their first 2 games this year, are they a bad team? And the 4 goal hawks are now the hottest team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad