Speculation: Maple Leafs Ticket Troubles

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Honestly good news. I get tickets from my company. I’m a huge fan, but I can’t justify buying tickets that are so overpriced relative to other markets. It’s not an affordability thing at all, but it’s really like why would I pay 200+ for the nosebleeds to watch the buds possibly get slapped.

I’ve wondered how long or what would cause this, and I guess the pandemic/vaccinations is what finally bursted the bubble. It’s been years coming that the on ice product deserved empty seats.

Also as a final side note, I think most companies have all but cut off all non essential sending, and the leafs tickets were largely a tax write off and went to non fans anyways.

Goods news is the city of Toronto has the money and potential fan base if they can actually ice something good consistently (and have playoff success)

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I love the product on the ice now but honestly I can't stand live games anymore.

Every single moment you go you're just blasted with stupid, crazy loud, promotions which have nothing to do with hockey. Can't even have a conversation.

You'd think a hockey game would be for hockey fans.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
ACC has a brutal atmosphere. I went once and would never go again, especially for the price you have to pay.

I've seen the Leafs in Ottawa and Buffalo and it was far more exciting.

However I now would much rather just watch hockey from home. Its more comfortable, can have the boys over, and you wont have to take a loan out to have food and drinks during the game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The tightwads if they were missing 10 people would be screaming. What a shitty product for so many years and charge more than anybody in the League. And want people to keep paying max Try taking a family of four and See what it cost.
300 for seats another 2 or so for dinner drinks. Life’s expensive

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
While the Gardens were not a great facility as they compare to modern ones, at least it had atmosphere.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
I got 2 tickets against the sharks a few weeks back for 180 a piece because i bought them earlier that day. Row 22 dead centre lower bowl. I understand the sharks aren't a marquee matchup but that wasn't bad at all.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lotta better things to pay your money with That’s called living beyond your means even if the product on the ice was worth it still a big no Mapleleaf Gardens is way too greedy
If the 4 of us go to the movies it’s a few hundred, life is expensive. Everyone has different means.

Reactions: Holls Blackmail

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
A drop in ticket prices for games isn't a big deal but I wonder about the seat licenses, have they dropped in value? I think it was close to 100,000 for a platinum seat a few years ago.

Anyway the place is a lot nosier this year and apparently with less people, not a bad thing.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
While the Gardens were not a great facility as they compare to modern ones, at least it had atmosphere.
The Gardens was a great place to watch hockey.

The ACC is not.

But they're all like that: the Bell Centre is good, but the Forum was the best place ever!

Reactions: Tlo1

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Never felt the atmosphere was that bad especially now that the team is good again.
I've been in Montreal many times where you could hear a pin drop. Most rinks are the same.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The crowds seem to be more lively this season, and I think that is a direct result of less of a corporate presence in the stands.

I don't think there will be ticket troubles, I think there will continue to be more real fans in the seats.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The crowds seem to be more lively this season, and I think that is a direct result of less of a corporate presence in the stands.

I don't think there will be ticket troubles, I think there will continue to be more real fans in the seats.
I think they've changed or added more mics. It doesn't sound much different when you're there but I noticed it did while watching from home.
They have played some exciting games this year though which certainly adds to it.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Surprising, but not. For a few reasons:

1. Obviously, the pandemic. Sure, there are lots of people who have no problem returning life back to the "new normal". Many others aren't. Lots of people still are uncomfortable in such a populated setting.

2. Ticket prices have always been insanely over-priced...

3. ...so you can get the same experience at home for a fraction of the cost (especially with the TV technology these days)...

4. ...and some teams are just not worth the price of admission (ie. Arizona).

5. People just don't have the same disposable income as they used to, particularly those who may have lost their jobs in the last 20 months. $300 for a Leaf game which guarantees nothing in terms of entertainment or a win to go home to, or putting food on the table? Decisions more people have to face nowadays.

6. The ACC/SBA is just a shitty place to watch a game (has always been for me). Way too corporate, both in terms of the hoity toity crowd and the constant barrage of advertising throughout the entire game experience. Off-putting. Unless I get a pair of purple tickets offered to me at face value and it only costs like $130 to take my son to the game, it's not worth it. Would rather spend just as much to head down to Buffalo and make it a night/weekend road trip out of it.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Most people have stated the obvious we all know is the main issues, ticket costs, product on the ice etc. But I feel atmosphere is a huge issue you look at how the islander fans banned together to chant “snake” and “pyjama boy” at JT you can’t tell me that didn’t have an effect on the leafs at game, it’s intimidating. If the leafs had a section like in soccer that’s dedicated to chants and fan culture you would see a huge difference

they do this is Europe and I don’t think it would ever be on this level just due to corporate influence but I think you could find a happy medium. The 300 section is what brings the noise during the games those are the fans who are in the bars and homes with friends going nuts on a regular basis.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
A drop in ticket prices for games isn't a big deal but I wonder about the seat licenses, have they dropped in value? I think it was close to 100,000 for a platinum seat a few years ago.

Anyway the place is a lot nosier this year and apparently with less people, not a bad thing.
Prices have dropped quite a bit over past 2 years
# OF SEATS2
SECTION304
ROW2
SEATS11 - 12
ASKING
PRICE$69,500
PRICE
PER SEAT$34,750
These seats were over $50,000 per 3 years ago now asking is $35K per
Bad time to sell right now .. best to hold onto your license .. to me I won't see mine ever

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be wary about drawing too large of a conclusion from attendance during an ongoing pandemic. Aren't other Canadian teams also experiencing lower than usual attendance?

There's lots of reasons why folks will be avoiding attending games, ie health concerns, or vaccination proof ect

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad