Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign Patrick Marleau (3 years, 6.25M (AAV), NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We have a unique window right now when our stars are on ELC's. This signing is just taking advantage of that.

That's exactly it and its a player others can learn from. Same goes for the Hainsey signing.

With Lupul and Horton (10.5m) minus the 5m bonus overage and Marleau we break even. I'm fine with that.

Charles Chuck Finley

Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
Love this signing, the way the contract is structured is the key.

Enough money to lure him away from SJ for two solid seasons, while staying attractive to cap floor teams in the third year.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Two years would've been ideal but I'm not losing sleep over this. At the very least, it all but guarantees that neither Bozak nor JVR will be extended, and at least one of them (probably JVR) will be traded imminently for an upgrade on the back end. We have loads of cap space opening up in the next couple years for when we have to extend the big 3, we'll be able to make it work. I'm excited to see how a seasoned pro like Marleau will impact this team

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
We payed average market value, for ok term, in a window that we can afford it.

This signing is ok, the sky is not falling.

BTW- This isnt what "cost us JVR" -look around the league; big winger, in his prime, scoring around 30G 30A. Just take a look at a few comparable players; Okposo, Perry, Vorocek, Ryan, Eriksson..... JVR is getting atleast 7 for a long term and THAT would be the contract that restricts signing our big 3.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Having slept on it, still not a fan. Doing this move in the same off-season that Williams gets $4.5M@2Y just highlights the flaws in this deal. Williams is an RW so not saying we should have signed him instead, but he is a better player signed to a much better deal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Having slept on it, still not a fan. Doing this move in the same off-season that Williams gets $4.5M@2Y just highlights the flaws in this deal. Williams is an RW so not saying we should have signed him instead, but he is a better player signed to a much better deal.

I nearly puked and then i thought about it. If JVR and Bozak go we can even grab Vanek or another short term quite likely and go for it. They will retire and we will have an entirely new support cast ready to go. The key is converting guys into picks and prospects lining up for 3yrs from now. I proposed here that we get old to get young last year around my JVR Bozak out kick. Martin and Komarov are included in this strategy next year they too probably go.

If they want to do that exact thing this year, do it. It will not bother us and cant not make us a team fighting for a PO position.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
As our new highest paid player I wonder how this reshapes future negotiations (aka Nylander extension).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As our new highest paid player I wonder how this reshapes future negotiations (aka Nylander extension).

Wont matter, heck we could gather prospects for JVR and Bozak and bring in Jagr for a year as well.

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
Anyone who thinks this will directly impact MWM...lolz.
Anyone who expects this contact to be worth it in the final 1/3rd..also lolz.

It is a year too long and a million too much. Whatever. Dump the final year to a floor team (which has become one of the most common trades in the league) or...perhaps...Lou is predicting another expansion? haha

Last edited:

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
This is a terrible contract. 38 year 45-50 point guy at that price? Crazy

its basically replacing lupul ,with a guy who can play ,and play on Mathews line ,show young players what it takes to play 20 years in the league ,and its what u get now for solid ,durable 25 goal scorers ,people should relax ,hs probably stil as good as Duchene right now ,and it didn't cost us 4 assets ...relax it isn't your money :yo::yo:

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
Also, did we have a legit HOF scorer to mentor the young scorers?

Nothing against them, but I am not sure Brian Boyle or Eric Fehr were showing our young guys what it takes to be a top 20 player in the NFL year in and year out.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Also, did we have a legit HOF scorer to mentor the young scorers?

Nothing against them, but I am not sure Brian Boyle or Eric Fehr were showing our young guys what it takes to be a top 20 player in the NFL year in and year out.

Boyle could be top centre in the NFL easily:laugh:

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I'd hate to see a future thread when we lose a prospect or a high draft pick in a trade. The amount of catastrophizing on here is unreal.

We've signed 3 solid free agents for 2 years. Just money and cap space. The only controversy in all of this is Marleau's third year. However, I'd argue that Leafs management have imagined every scenario playing out. They are privy to a ton of info we don't know. Maybe Marleau will move his NMC at year 3. Maybe Marner accepts a bridge deal. Maybe Nylander and Marner sign reasonable long-term deals. Or maybe they've crunched the numbers and concluded that they can fit everybody under the cap in 3 years time. Don't forget all of the salaries coming off the books in the next few years.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'd hate to see a future thread when we lose a prospect or a high draft pick in a trade. The amount of catastrophizing on here is unreal.

We've signed 3 solid free agents for 2 years. Just money and cap space. The only controversy in all of this is Marleau's third year. However, I'd argue that Leafs management have imagined every scenario playing out. They are privy to a ton of info we don't know. Maybe Marleau will move his NMC at year 3. Maybe Marner accepts a bridge deal. Maybe Nylander and Marner sign reasonable long-term deals. Or maybe they've crunched the numbers and concluded that they can fit everybody under the cap in 3 years time. Don't forget all of the salaries coming off the books in the next few years.

Yeah pretty much this. I like this signing, and I think I'd like it more if it led to a JvR for top 4 RHD Unicorn Deal.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Yeah pretty much this. I like this signing, and I think I'd like it more if it led to a JvR for top 4 RHD Unicorn Deal.

That would be ideal. The way this contract is setup you gotta think they have a side agreement for that last year. Also I doubt they sit Leivo again for the season, JVR or Leo need to move.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Yep. Prior to Marleau signing, our highest paid cap hit on the book when the season starts is 5M. Even now it's just 6.25M. Look around the league and you will find at least 3-5 guys on each team with bigger cap hits than that.

Lou said it perfectly. We could do this now, we wouldn't be able to do this a year from now. What does that indirectly say? He knows the kids are getting paid and he plans on keeping Gardiner.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Who says Williams is better than Marleau ? Even so your concern is more about the difference between what Marleau and Williams got ? Let the Shannaclan worry about that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Who says Williams is better than Marleau ? Even so your concern is more about the difference between what Marleau and Williams got ? Let the Shannaclan worry about that.

My issue was that it's a bad deal with a problematic last year. Cap management is important. Why exactly would we ignore that?

As for Williams compared to Marleau, he's been the more productive player while being a much better possession player. He's better.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's fine if you don't like this deal, but these guys who couldn't coach a 12 and under ringette team should pipe down with the "Lou is a an idiot" routine. There is logic here, and a cap room window, these people actually do have a clue unlike some of the detractors on here. Go have a waffle and stuff it :)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We just paid Marleau for things he did 4+ years ago, and that he won't be able to do for us. He hasn't been a 6.25M calibre player for a few years. This is a pretty risky signing, because even best case scenario of him repeating his last two seasons ~46-48 points), he'd still be overpaid. And chances are he'll be declining from even that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad