Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign Patrick Marleau (3 years, 6.25M (AAV), NMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Knowing how the Leafs structure their deals.
it's probably ALL the money this year and next year including signing bonuses and a teensy weensy thing we can hide/retain in year 3 when it matters.

Interesting enough - I don't think Joe's contract finalized - no one said anything.

Yes. Loaded in the front end with signing bonuses.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
My issue was that it's a bad deal with a problematic last year. Cap management is important. Why exactly would we ignore that?

As for Williams compared to Marleau, he's been the more productive player while being a much better possession player. He's better.

2 possibilities come to mind:

1. There is some agreement for him to waive to be traded down south in the last year to a cap floor team; or
2. Send him to Robidas Island in the last year, a year where we presumably don't have a bonus overage issue.

So I feel like there is some flexibility here, but I'm in your boat in that I've been jolted a bit by how big this contract is is, and question the current direction.

Maybe they were running out of options at improving the forward corps, and had to burn some cash to get Marleau out of SJ? If that's the case, then you're right, their execution seems to be lacking to wind up in this position.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
My issue was that it's a bad deal with a problematic last year. Cap management is important. Why exactly would we ignore that?

As for Williams compared to Marleau, he's been the more productive player while being a much better possession player. He's better.

Debatable who is better but Williams was either not an option or Leafs like Marleau better. As for the money, consider it splurging. As long as you don't have many long term horrific contracts it should not be an issue. If the Shannaclan worked around the Clarkson contract, they can certainly work around this one if need be. With the Pens and Caps taking steps back, the door is wide open to win the East. Get to the finals with Marleau and it will all be worth it.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Debatable who is better but Williams was either not an option or Leafs like Marleau better. As for the money, consider it splurging. As long as you don't have many long term horrific contracts it should not be an issue. If the Shannaclan worked around the Clarkson contract, they can certainly work around this one if need be. With the Pens and Caps taking steps back, the door is wide open to win the East. Get to the finals with Marleau and it will all be worth it.

unless marleau forgets how to skate in the summer :laugh: u cant go wrong u got a live body for lupul and Horton ,perfect fit ,gives u leadership and another solid pro day in and day out

TMLFOREVER**

May 8, 2017
its basically replacing lupul ,with a guy who can play ,and play on Mathews line ,show young players what it takes to play 20 years in the league ,and its what u get now for solid ,durable 25 goal scorers ,people should relax ,hs probably stil as good as Duchene right now ,and it didn't cost us 4 assets ...relax it isn't your money :yo::yo:

actually....it is.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i'm just curious if Leaf fans would have rather had a D-man signed. even having Kulikov signed, in my opinion, would be more beneficial for Toronto.

while Marleau is unquestionably a solid player, i'm still not sure if/how this makes Toronto better.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
On second thought, this makes sense if the plan is to trade JVR to get a top RH defender (eg: Trouba)...

JVR gets us no where close to trouba. The +'s with JVR would have to be better than JVR

Yes, I see this posted all the time. It would ideal if JVR could fetch a good, young top-4 defender.

But when I look at the market and trades over the last years, I don't see it.

The additional pieces that very few talk about would have to be more significant to offset just one year of JVR. Most teams will absolutely consider the issue of JVR going to free agency. A GM can not just shut his eyes and be blind to this. However, the market that would express the most interest are teams that are all-in this year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leaf management has stated that they wanted to upgrade the D. They haven't done so yet but they will. I am just waiting for everything to play out.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Package him with something to s bottom feeder or buy him out.

A buy-out in the 3rd year would double the amount of years his salary would count against our cap. It's not exactly a magical get-out-of-jail for free card that some imagine.

By packaging, I assume you mean lose a good prospect or pick?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Doesnt that mean we could buyout the 3rd year and only pay a $1.4 million penalty for 2 years?

No, don't think so. Its ($4.25 divided by 2) x 2, so its $2.125 for 2 years.

A full NMC means that he can't be sent down to the Marlies, and Marleau will control which team he goes to. I think this is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad