Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Hire Mike Babcock as Head Coach: 8 years, 50 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Here is the 2 line summary from my drive home yesterday and to work this morning.

Leafs overpaid for someone who isn't going to be a huge difference maker.
Leafs have a bad locker room.
Due to the players why do they think Babcock is going to get them into the playoffs?

Most of the comments are about how this isn't going to make a huge difference. And that the Leafs could have signed any number of coaches for half the money for the same benefit Babcock will make.

Again, IMO, this isn't about 2015-2017 seasons. It should be about 2018-20## seasons.

Warrener did however suggest the Leafs are a better team than their record and their collapses are their problems. He got cut off, as they tend to talk over each other, but it seemed he was heading into the Babcock might be able to do something about that.

Then they went on about do players really care how much the coach makes, Warrener said he didn't have a clue and didn't care when he played.

Then they talked about the Leafs coaches this year being deadmen walking impacting their performance.

They referenced Dowbiggin apparently saying the Leafs bought the best jockey, but still had a crappy horse.

If Shanahan holds to his word, the Leafs did get this jockey for these horses today, but want the jockey for tomorrow's horses.

Simmons still managed to be negative yesterday on the radio which was pretty brutal.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Mess , ULF_55 , blasted_Sabre , Epictetus , TMLeafer , hatterson , BertCorbeau , King Mapes , 7even , Hurt
Agreed with those guys. A SC by 2023 is guaranteed and in the bag. ;)

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I feel bad for Babcock, he's going to make a lot of money, but the media in Toronto is terrible; as soon as the Leafs lose more than 3 in a row, the headlines will be "Babcock must go". Look at Carlyle he was fired when the Leafs were in a playoff spot, but were 3-7 in their last 10, that's not worthy of being fired, but he was. Imagine what will/is going to happen when the Leafs have a losing streak, poor Babcock.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Is that always how Wayne talks now, or was just just totally ****faced in that interview?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Let me guess....he somehow found a way to throw in a line about how a coach was hired before a GM 'again'

Yeah, that and some other stupidity. It wasn't worth remembering that is how dumb it was.

I think the next best move they can make....and they do do it before they even hire a GM (;)) would be to remove Feschuk and Simmons media access.

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
Anyone got a link for people outside north america??

TSN stream was working then it suddenly stopped & now keeps asking me to sign in using my tv service provider :(

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Burke said he was going to change the culture, Shanny has!

Anyone who thinks that Babcock is not a difference maker really has not paid attention to how Detroit has played and more importantly who played.

I stated many times that we needed a my way or the highway coach who had the authority to do so.

Shanny and Babcock and company should have our full support!

Be happy Leaf fans...

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I am so scared for the ******* fans/media to bash him. I really hope it doesn't occur to this but rather to the players.

Toronto13

Mar 26, 2015
Markham
Babs will get a 3 yr pass from the Toronto media no fan believes we are going to make the playoffs in that time frame.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Burke said he was going to change the culture, Shanny has!

Anyone who thinks that Babcock is not a difference maker really has not paid attention to how Detroit has played and more importantly who played.

I stated many times that we needed a my way or the highway coach who had the authority to do so.

Shanny and Babcock and company should have our full support!

Be happy Leaf fans...

Exactly. He got an AHL Detroit Red Wing team into the playoffs last year, when Datsyuk and Zetterberg were injured. A year without Lidstrom as well. That says a lot. I feel as though most of our roster is very stubborn (Kessel, Lupul etc). I think Babs can change that, but i'd rather see some movement of certain players as such. Also, it will be interesting to see the development of Gards and Rielly.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babs will get a 3 yr pass from the Toronto media no fan believes we are going to make the playoffs in that time frame.

Not making the playoffs is one thing, progress is entirely another.

If the Leafs don't show progress in the following few years, people will be on him fast. The expectations are very high, with good reason.

I don't think anyone expects this team to be a contender in the short-term, but progression in development in both players and the system will be expected in that time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad