Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

LaCarriere

lol… that’s been the same under every coach for the last decade+… at what point do you leaf fans start putting the blame on the players and the organization
I think most fans (and haters) of the Leafs have put the blame on the players for some time. Coaches / gms can only do so much.

Im guessing the leafs have thrown more money at coaches/gms/scouting etc by a wide margin over anyone else. Nobody can compete with their front office budget and what has it done in 10 years under Shanahan? There's only so much you can do off the ice, eventually repeated first round exits have to fall on the players.

Problem is if Shanahan changes course now that could be the end of him in toronto, if ownership even gives him permission to move anyone. He doubled down on the big 4 and it hasn't payed off, change course now and it's not the best look for him.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I think it's because he's become obsessed with being first rather than most accurate, so he'll mention tidbits he's heard to get it out first, but throw in qualifiers in case the information ends up being wrong.

Ex: "The Leafs are in talks with a couple of teams to trade John Tavares and it appears a deal could be done, but it depends on a couple of factors before it's complete"

Translation: he's right if Tavares gets dealt and he's right if he doesn't get dealt.
He must have been a fan of Dave Meltzer.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Leafs need a coach who controls the room. When you have a coach who publicly critiques his players and than has to back track the next day you know the players are running the team. Should be interesting to see how this plays out this time around.

Reactions: pekka55

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023
The leafs players seem to play in their heads and probably need to play with fire under their asses. This might be what they need. Keefe is too soft of a coach and didn't hold players accountable. Time will tell.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The leafs players seem to play in their heads and probably need to play with fire under their asses. This might be what they need. Keefe is too soft of a coach and didn't hold players accountable. Time will tell.
Usually coaching changes do that but only temporally. With how poor Marner and the big 4 have been in the playoffs I don't see how Berube can change that. They are soft as hell and not built for playoff hockey. A coaching change won't fix that. And 8 years is a huge enough sample size.

Reactions: T REX

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Was Berube an upgrade?

Keefe
Last 5 years.

Regular season .665% Points percentage
Playoffs .432%

Berube
Last 6 years

Regular season .597% Points percentage
Playoffs .471%

The players still have to win on the ice. A coach can only do so much. It's his job to get the most out of his players but it's silly to judge a coach solely on winning percentage. But the most important winning percentage is the one in the playoffs.

Incredible how the coaching merry-go-round just never stops.

It was obvious Berube would get another coaching job. You think hiring a coach with no NHL experience would be better for the Leafs? Most people get hired based on their experience, not only NHL coaches.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
FC4IIj_WYAMLJq7.jpeg

"mitchell, we are in grave danger!"

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I think most fans (and haters) of the Leafs have put the blame on the players for some time. Coaches / gms can only do so much.

Im guessing the leafs have thrown more money at coaches/gms/scouting etc by a wide margin over anyone else. Nobody can compete with their front office budget and what has it done in 10 years under Shanahan? There's only so much you can do off the ice, eventually repeated first round exits have to fall on the players.

Problem is if Shanahan changes course now that could be the end of him in toronto, if ownership even gives him permission to move anyone. He doubled down on the big 4 and it hasn't payed off, change course now and it's not the best look for him.
I respectfully disagree.

Nothing says incompetence and lack of leadership by staying entrenched in a position which everyone can see is not working.

The finest leaders are the ones who have the humility and maturity to admit mistakes, but not only doing so but to chart a correction change in order to mitigate/eliminate the mistakes being repeated for the sake of the team and organization, irrespective of the personal consequences.

Shanahan has shown himself to be both a yes man type, but also one who does not have the intestinal fortitude to recognize that he is part of the problem here.

I didn't like Keefe but I can respect the guy for acknowledging, plainly and without excuses, that he did not get it done. Shanahan clearly does not have the capacity or willingness to do this, and it looks like Pelley's endorsement of Shanahan means that the culture of accepting mediocrity and not making the difficult decisions to plot a significant change in corporate and group cultural vision, will result in many more years of the same results for the fans.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The players still have to win on the ice. A coach can only do so much. It's his job to get the most out of his players but it's silly to judge a coach solely on winning percentage. But the most important winning percentage is the one in the playoffs.

It was obvious Berube would get another coaching job. You think hiring a coach with no NHL experience would be better for the Leafs? Most people get hired based on their experience, not only NHL coaches.
I actually thought Keefe did a good job in Toronto. This season especially with what I would term as his weakest roster. Under Dubas he had to placate to to the players. This season he was harder on the players with a new GM that is not a pushover as Dubas was. The culture was already rotten with entitlement that Dubas régime cultivated but I saw him more willingly call out players. I am not surewhat Beeube will improve on, I don’t think the problem was coaching. Keefe has historically had a great winning % everywhere he has coached. It will be tough to upgrade on what he did with the leafs. He is still the only coach to win 1 playoff series in 20 years for this franchise. A low bar admittedly for any team.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I actually thought Keefe did a good job in Toronto. This season especially with what I would term as his weakest roster. Under Dubas he had to placate to to the players. This season he was harder on the players with a new GM that is not a pushover as Dubas was. The culture was already rotten with entitlement that Dubas régime cultivated but I saw him more willingly call out players. I am not surewhat Beeube will improve on, I don’t think the problem was coaching. Keefe has historically had a great winning % everywhere he has coached. It will be tough to upgrade on what he did with the leafs. He is still the only coach to win 1 playoff series in 20 years for this franchise. A low bar admittedly for any team.

Fair points. Sometimes teams just need a new voice to shake them up. I think the Leafs might benefit from a respected veteran like Berube to put a little fear in the players. But he's also a players coach who knows what it's like to play in the NHL and not a psycho like Babs. Keefe seemed a little too nice and passive IMO.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I still can’t believe it took the Leaf’s so long to can Keefe. Everyone and their grandmother knew that he couldn’t coach to win in the playoffs. No doubt that Treliving knew it too. Treliving deserves a lot of criticism for essentially throwing away an entire year of Maple Leaf’s Hockey when he knew it would have never worked. Trelivings best skill as a GM is prolonging his stay, no doubt that he kept Keefe on to have another bullet in the chamber. Great for Tre, bad for the Leaf’s core who’s having their potential completely wasted year after year.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Lots of soundbites for sure. The media is loving this hire.
"Coach Berube, we noticed Marner sitting at the end of the bench crying, what's going on there"

"Well I don't know, I just told him to take a hit to make a play and he burst into tears.."

Reactions: BaconNater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad