Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Chief is an alright pick but it is anyone's guess on how the players will respond. Doesn't matter what business you're in, it's all about the people and their relationships with each other. I would run through a wall for some of my coaches. Let's see how many players buy into what he's selling.

It’s easy, do what the coach asks or sit. Sit often enough and get asked to waive your NMC

Okay bud. You can keep your conspiracy theories to yourself.

The Leafs fired Dubas and hired Treliving. The Leafs fired Keefe and hired Berube. It’s not that complicated.

Only in Toronto can fans of other teams turn an under-achieving coach and GM change into a controversy lol

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Could be okay, but it's tough with the pampered stars who run the organization. He won't be allowed to even mildly criticize his top players (remember what happened to Keefe?). Until Shanahan is gone, the entire core is gone, and a new culture is brought in, the coach won't make a difference.
I don’t think Chief is going to be a fall in line guy. He probably gives 0 Fs about pampering. He didn’t care to do it with the Blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Berube is going to be a good litmus test for the roster construction. If the players can learn to “put on the work boots”, then things will go well. If not, changes will need to be made (ones that probably already should have been years ago at this point).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm assuming if we don't trade him this summer he'll be re-signed either July 1st or sometime during the season. Basically, just saying he could very well be re-signed and then go on to have his best season next year and be that much more attractive. I don't see Marner as an asset that is close to his downward swing at this point imo. I still think he has 120ish+ points in him.
Didn’t address what I said in your quote.

that’s different than what you said originally.
Which was trade him after his contract was done.

Maybe the best time will be after the 2024-2025 season,

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Leafs aren't even going to make the playoffs next year, Berube sucks. He had one lucky run with St Louis..a team who actually had a goalie...a basket case of a goalie, but one who went on a hot streak no doubt. Should have kept Keefe and would have been better off. Bonehead move

• Haha
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Leafs aren't even going to make the playoffs next year, Berube sucks. He had one lucky run with St Louis..a team who actually had a goalie...a basket case of a goalie, but one who went on a hot streak no doubt. Should have kept Keefe and would have been better off. Bonehead move
Take away his entire cup run and hes still won as many series as Keefe.

• Haha
Reactions: BB79

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
…and the NHL recycling machine keeps rolling…I swear these teams are terrified of trying new things and giving new people any kind of chance at all…

• Haha
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
And then went right back to the same ol same ol… Keefe is taking the fall for the players… it’s not on Keefe that the Leafs went out the way they did
Yeah and he could only muster up 1 playoff series win during his time. Probably best to try something different at this point. Its much easier to change a coach than an entire roster.

Keefe was also out coached in every single playoff series he was in lol. But you probably didnt see that happen.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
And then went right back to the same ol same ol… Keefe is taking the fall for the players… it’s not on Keefe that the Leafs went out the way they did
Uhh, ya it is..

Keefe has never made adjustments and did the same thing Year over year in the playoffs.

His time was over.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Uhh, ya it is..

Keefe has never made adjustments and done the same thing Year over year in the playoffs.

His time was over.
Its okay a Jets fan clearly knows more about Keefe than the people that watched him for the past 5 years.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
…and the NHL recycling machine keeps rolling…I swear these teams are terrified of trying new things and giving new people any kind of chance at all…
Google the definition of insanity.

Mar 12, 2009
So Leaf fans, with this coaching change, does the Cup Parade Route change at all?
Well it doesn't change the cornball's from trotting out the cliche's like they invented the line.

Keefe hasn't been any good, it's very funny how the spin changes the second a move is made. Keefe sucks, Keefe's gone, oh it's actually not Keefe's fault at all. Same ol same ol.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It's pretty clear no matter who the Leafs hired everyone would shit on it. And if they didn't fire Keefe, people would shit on them. We all know it doesn't matter what the Leafs do, there is a large subset of people here, both Leafs fans and otherwise that will always find a way to talk shit. They hold the Leafs to an unattainable standard. We all know if the Leafs won a cup the first thing those fans would say is, "ya but let's see you do it again".

I didn't mind Keefe, but a change was needed. Excited to see what happens next season.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
no, he won a cup a few years ago on the back of a goalie coming from nowhere, he's a cup winning coach thats available so leaf media is blowing him up to be some great.

Also what does far down the road mean? To me it means not close.
Binnington helped turn the last place team around with 2 months of hot play when he first came up(berube also stepped up as coach during that time and didnt statt year as coach), but was league average the last 2 months of the year and had barely above league average sv% during the playoffs, and other than the really bad darcy kuemper playoffs win, was one ofnthe lower recent playoff sv% by a cup winning goalie. So to say binnington carried him isnt really accurate at all as binny wasnt that amazing during the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad