NCAA: Many Conference commissioners and head coaches want to shorten college football games

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
TAMPA -- Perhaps it was fitting that the first college football game of 2016, between Cal and Hawaii, lasted nearly four hours.
It was a harbinger of the coming season, in which the average game time was the longest in college football history: 3 hours, 24 minutes. That was much too long for a number of people.
"I would like to see shorter games," Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said.
Scott is not alone. He is among a number of conference commissioners and head coaches who told ESPN they believe games have become too long. The biggest challenge, however, is determining how to shorten the games.
"Fundamentally, we have to have that conversation," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said. "We need a bit more consistency [on length of games]. There are a lot of ideas that merit discussion, such as [shortening] halftime, but I think we should be careful with that."
Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said of the steady increase in length of college football games, "We need to try to look ahead. We shouldn't wait until there's a problem."
The NCAA's Football Oversight Committee is expected to discuss game length, among other matters, in a couple of weeks.
In just four seasons, the average length of games increased seven minutes, from 3:17 in 2013 to 3:24 this season. This has occurred even though the number of plays have remained virtually the same: 143 plays per game in 2013, 142.6 plays per game in 2016.
"We need to try to look ahead," Scott said. "We shouldn't wait until there's a problem."
Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze and new Oregon coach Willie Taggart said they believe there already is a problem in the game times.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...s-seek-shorter-games-record-average-game-2016

There's more to the article but I posted the first few paragraphs

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Replay is one reason. Remember that one year they tried running the clock on change of possession.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
commercials is the other

those will never go away though - the commishes have to keep that dirty money comin

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Eh commercials plays a part. Going to USF games that are only on CBSSports or ESPN3 online only and they still break for commercial over and over.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Cutting a commercial break each quarter would get 10 minutes shaved off the time of every game. I'd be in favor in doubling that for the 3:30 CBS games each week which drag on forever if you're in the stadium.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Cutting a commercial break each quarter would get 10 minutes shaved off the time of every game. I'd be in favor in doubling that for the 3:30 CBS games each week which drag on forever if you're in the stadium.

Yeah I've tried to get into college ball on several occasions but man it's hard to watch as a neutral fan, the time thing being a major factor. NFL knows what they're doing.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
hate the possession arrow in bball as well

I think a combination of the clock stoppages on 1st down and commercial breaks would solve the trick - but I never see them doing away with either. The commercials bring in revenue, and the clock stoppages would reduce the # of plays in a game. Some NCAA coaches may argue reducing the # of plays in the game reduces the product.

It will be like everything else - blame it on the refs....they're too slow, can't get calls right, etc...

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
hate the possession arrow in bball as well

I think a combination of the clock stoppages on 1st down and commercial breaks would solve the trick - but I never see them doing away with either. The commercials bring in revenue, and the clock stoppages would reduce the # of plays in a game. Some NCAA coaches may argue reducing the # of plays in the game reduces the product.

It will be like everything else - blame it on the refs....they're too slow, can't get calls right, etc...

Commercials won't be cut. $$$$

But, the NCAA can quickly do away with stopping the clock when a 1st down is gained. Make it back to the NFL. It takes about 8-10 seconds give or take to reset the chains. It will reduce the number of plays in a game.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Why do they stop the clock on First Downs. Seems like a stupid rule, kinda like the Possession Arrow in College Basketball.

Possession arrow in college bball makes perfect sense--the college refs are generally poor at throwing up jump balls.

I've always thought jump balls on tie ups were dumb. Tallest guy gets the ball, congrats...

Running the clock on 1st downs is the 1st change I would make. So silly.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That game was over four hours long last night. Something has to be done. Everyone I watched with dreaded the possibility of OT, no matter how fun it could have been, because it was a ****ing Monday and regulation had gone past 12:30.

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
That game was over four hours long last night. Something has to be done. Everyone I watched with dreaded the possibility of OT, no matter how fun it could have been, because it was a ****ing Monday and regulation had gone past 12:30.

I was screaming at my tv, don't settle for the field goal it's past midnight !!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad