Value of: Mantha to wpg

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I don't think he fits with Neid and Lowry as Neid is already a shoot first player. I also don't think he fits the shutdown line mold the Jets have going for their 3rd line. Going to have to say no thank you from the Jets side.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think the Jets would be looking at another F as a priority.

But, what about TVR? He'd be a nice fit with the Jets.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
And his effort level and defence would rank last.

He might have that history, but its not really a thing this year. He has been pretty solid both ways. It is a contract year..

Dont get me wrong, he is not a selke or art ross candidate, but propably would provide a very solid middle six depth forward contribution for a contender.

The return comes to demand. Ideally Caps should get a 2nd, but If theres no demand he will be a very cheap to acquire because Caps wont be extending.

Reactions: Kolzilla

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Getting Mantha for a 2nd would be a steal for most teams. He’s a strong defensive forward and scores. That doesn’t match with peoples eye test because people assume he’s lazy due to his skating style. He can’t seem to shake that reputation for whatever reason but he scores goals and doesn’t get scored on when he’s out there.

He should be valued higher but he won’t be

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Getting Mantha for a 2nd would be a steal for most teams. He’s a strong defensive forward and scores. That doesn’t match with peoples eye test because people assume he’s lazy due to his skating style. He can’t seem to shake that reputation for whatever reason but he scores goals and doesn’t get scored on when he’s out there.

He should be valued higher but he won’t be
He's a strong defensive forward? All the numbers indicate that isn't true. He gives up 3.2 goals per 60 despite heavily skewing toward offensive zone starts and seeing below average competition. He's not a good defensive forward at all.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Mantha would be a decent pick up for a playoff team this year, he is at the end of a contract year so you might get some decent play out of him before he goes back to 0 effort next season.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If they're retaining 50% on Mantha, I would expect more than a 2nd. He's probably a 2nd in a straight-up trade.
They couldn’t give him away in the summer, a half season of decent results might tip him back into positive value but not by much. Almost no playoff bound team would be able to fit even his prorated cap hit without retention, so if they want to trade him they are retaining or taking back cap the other team doesn’t want.

Middle 6 wingers are always the most plentiful and easiest position to acquire at the deadline, Mantha isn’t in the top crop of rental wingers, he’s the guy teams circle back on last minute and pay a 3rd and a 5th for him at 50% if they strike out on their primary targets.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
He's a strong defensive forward? All the numbers indicate that isn't true. He gives up 3.2 goals per 60 despite heavily skewing toward offensive zone starts and seeing below average competition. He's not a good defensive forward at all.
Only Dowd and NAK are ahead of his even strength goal differential of +6, with nearly all other forwards on this (bad) caps squad well into the negatives.

He’s not a selke candidate, but the ice does not get tilted against him when he’s out there. He’s a solid two way forward, not sure how else to put it

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Only Dowd and NAK are ahead of his even strength goal differential of +6, with nearly all other forwards on this (bad) caps squad well into the negatives.

He’s not a selke candidate, but the ice does not get tilted against him when he’s out there. He’s a solid two way forward, not sure how else to put it
This is his best year defensively. He's not getting caved in this year. I'm going with the rest of his career where he did get caved rather than the contract year.

WPGDEVILS

Jan 3, 2018
Mantha's play style isn't a fit for the Jets. Especially on the 3rd line.
From my understanding he was having quite a great year in terms of effort and scoring, I feel like he could definitely replace Appleton

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And his effort level and defence would rank last.
He’s been much better this year. Motivated to get that next deal. Anyone acquiring him is good for this season….beyond that, wouldn’t trust him at all. Should be a good rental.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
From my understanding he was having quite a great year in terms of effort and scoring, I feel like he could definitely replace Appleton
He's not good enough defensively and is lazy. Definitely not the kind of player the Jets want in the dressing room or on the shut down 3rd line with Lowry.

Winnipeg is one of the best defensive teams in the league right now, there's no incentive to mess with that to add a mediocre 3W.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is his best year defensively. He's not getting caved in this year. I'm going with the rest of his career where he did get caved rather than the contract year.
The contract year should be exactly what any acquiring team is concerned about, not last year or next year. He’s a pure rental and we CAN retain to help him fit elsewhere.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's basically always been a positive play driver. Teams that value that and need depth scoring would be very wise to target him.

He's got a relatively poor reputation. Much of that's deserved given his raw tool set and what he could be. But on a good team with quality teammates, particularly those with pace that can create, he can definitely facilitate offensively and drive play.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's basically always been a positive play driver. Teams that value that and need depth scoring would be very wise to target him.

He's got a relatively poor reputation. Much of that's deserved given his raw tool set and what he could be. But on a good team with quality teammates, particularly those with pace that can create, he can definitely facilitate offensively and drive play.
Why try to sell him as something he's not? He's not a play driver. His possession rates have always been well below his zone starts. Exactly 4% below throughout his career. Milan Lucic is more of a possession driver than Mantha is.

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Why try to sell him as something he's not? He's not a play driver. His possession rates have always been well below his zone starts. Exactly 4% below throughout his career. Milan Lucic is more of a possession driver than Mantha is.
By that logic Jonathan Toews wasn't a play driver. Panarin, Patrick Kane, Kucherov and Matthews definitely all not play drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad