Blue Jays Discussion: Manoah gets the Halladay treatment (optioned to rookie-ball to try and fix him)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The knee injury hasn't helped since frankly he's been dogshit since it happened.

I do hope he's not playing through something serious. If needs the time to rest, give it to him. With Springer and Varsho finding their stroke this team has plenty of offensive depth to go without him for a bit if they need to.

Would be a crazy timeline if Bo ends up being the guy the Jays commit to long term rather than Vlad. Luckily there's like 2 and a half years before they have to make that decision and a lot can change before then.

Reactions: MS

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The knee injury hasn't helped since frankly he's been dogshit since it happened.

I do hope he's not playing through something serious. If needs the time to rest, give it to him. With Springer and Varsho finding their stroke this team has plenty of offensive depth to go without him for a bit if they need to.

Would be a crazy timeline if Bo ends up being the guy the Jays commit to long term rather than Vlad. Luckily there's like 2 and a half years before they have to make that decision and a lot can change before then.
Yeah I mean while being careful in being hot takeish based off the best run of Bo's career and one of the worst runs of Vlads....If you had to choose one to give a mega 300 million dollar contract to it would kind of have to be Bo at this point. Hopefully we can get both locked up but I think there is more risk in a long term expensive contract with Vladdy at this point while he is also the more replaceable of the two in their current form.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Framber Valdez is an obese pitcher and he's just doing fine, if not better than before despite the pitch clock. He had a similar uptick in innings, his velocity has increased again after a decline a few years ago, and he almost exclusively gets his results with his sinker. Vladdy has a higher sprint speed than guys like Yordan, (Corey) Seager, Alonso, Devers, Arenado, Bregman... plus his peripherals are way better than last year and closely align to his 2021 breakout.
Framber is not really obese, he just has a huge head

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Framber Valdez is an obese pitcher and he's just doing fine, if not better than before despite the pitch clock. He had a similar uptick in innings, his velocity has increased again after a decline a few years ago, and he almost exclusively gets his results with his sinker. Vladdy has a higher sprint speed than guys like Yordan, (Corey) Seager, Alonso, Devers, Arenado, Bregman... plus his peripherals are way better than last year and closely align to his 2021 breakout.
Framber could be a lot better if he lost some weight.

Vladdy is nowhere near the level he was in 2021 but could be a real base stealing threat if he was in better shape.

Again this idea that because an overweight player is capable of playing time in the majors it must mean that conditioning a non factor is ridiculous. improved conditioning will almost always improve performance.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Framber could be a lot better if he lost some weight.

Vladdy is nowhere near the level he was in 2021 but could be a real base stealing threat if he was in better shape.

Again this idea that because an overweight player is capable of playing time in the majors it must mean that conditioning a non factor is ridiculous. improved conditioning will almost always improve performance.

You can’t say that for certain. CC Sabathia trimmed down for two straight seasons and contributed his weight loss to his pitching struggles. It’s like when HS players have growth spurts and have to figure out how to perform in their new body (skating stride, basketball dribbling/jumpshot, pitch command/strike zone discipline). Perhaps Manoah struggles because he has put on a significant amount of weight in an offseason, but you can’t say for certain that a fit Manoah would yield more positive results in the short term. He would still have to fix his mechanics.

And I was strictly speaking about Vladdy’s PERIPHERALS. Every advanced metric is at his 2021 level which suggests he’s due for a big breakout again.

Reactions: Discoverer

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
How is this obese?? Have you seen Manoah, Vladdy and Kirk??

1686234375595.png

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How is this obese?? Have you seen Manoah, Vladdy and Kirk??

View attachment 716055

Okay maybe Framber is more like JRam with a big head, but he was definitely overweight before. And yes, all the guys you mentioned are “obese” by BMI metrics. Still, they’re athletes and can push more weight than the typical average joe.

This perception that they need a marathoner’s stamina to play at a high level for an entire MLB season is farcical.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Red Sox rotation in absolute shambles. Sale down, Pivetta and Kluber suck and got moved to the pen, Houck, Crawford, Whitlock suck, and now former Jay Matt Dermody is coming up for a start.

Reactions: Discoverer

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Okay maybe Framber is more like JRam with a big head, but he was definitely overweight before. And yes, all the guys you mentioned are “obese” by BMI metrics. Still, they’re athletes and can push more weight than the typical average joe.

This perception that they need a marathoner’s stamina to play at a high level for an entire MLB season is farcical.
The very nature of baseball makes it so fat dudes can not only survive, but thrive in the big leagues. That kind of body could survive in what other sport, darts? bowling? I'm not saying they need to be marathoners, maybe just take their profession with a little bit of seriousness?

To think that a guy who performs at a certain level grossly overweight wouldn't perform better if he was in better shape is pretty ridiculous. Not to mention the added wear and tear caused by carrying the extra weight.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The very nature of baseball makes it so fat dudes can not only survive, but thrive in the big leagues. That kind of body could survive in what other sport, darts? bowling? I'm not saying they need to be marathoners, maybe just take their profession with a little bit of seriousness?

To think that a guy who performs at a certain level grossly overweight wouldn't perform better if he was in better shape is pretty ridiculous. Not to mention the added wear and tear caused by carrying the extra weight.
CC Sabathia would like a word.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is too soon to say that Bo Bichette is in the MVP conversation right now approaching mid-season?

2nd in the AL in WAR (3.3) to only Wander Franco (3.4) but Bichette has a much more eye-catching offensive stat line.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

You just said it, they can thrive in baseball. I don’t need to explain how some of the best players of all time were overweight. The wear and tear is a concern but the shelf life of being a major league player is also not an incredibly long one. I and now Blitzkrug referenced CC who is the most prominent example of an ace losing weight to help quell those wear and tear concerns, only to then pitch worse.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
CC Sabathia would like a word.
How much better could he have been? Not saying he wasn't good, he himself has said he wasn't in great shape and struggled with alcohol.

I'm sure CC would like a word with his younger self too ;)

1686247558529.png

You just said it, they can thrive in baseball. I don’t need to explain how some of the best players of all time were overweight. The wear and tear is a concern but the shelf life of being a major league player is also not an incredibly long one. I and now Blitzkrug referenced CC who is the most prominent example of an ace losing weight to help quell those wear and tear concerns, only to then pitch worse.
CC had much bigger problems and his priorities were clearly not baseball as much as they were booze and sneakers.

All I'm saying is, if you're doling out massive contracts you might want to make sure the players are as committed to their craft as they are to the paycheck and the buffet line.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It is too soon to say that Bo Bichette is in the MVP conversation right now approaching mid-season?

2nd in the AL in WAR (3.3) to only Wander Franco (3.4) but Bichette has a much more eye-catching offensive stat line.

Not only has his hitting taken off, but his defence so far has been a revelation. Really impressed with him and he’s for sure in the convo with Wander, Semien, and Judge.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How much better could he have been? Not saying he wasn't good, he himself has said he wasn't in great shape and struggled with alcohol.

I'm sure CC would like a word with his younger self too ;)

View attachment 716130

CC had much bigger problems and his priorities were clearly not baseball as much as they were booze and sneakers.

All I'm saying is, if you're doling out massive contracts you might want to make sure the players are as committed to their craft as they are to the paycheck and the buffet line.

Manoah is on a min contract, nothing to worry about financially at this point for the Jays. Of course in terms of assets one of their best has tanked his value considerably. I just can’t say with certainty that a greek god physique’d Manoah would out pitch even current Manoah because that would require him to completely overhaul his mechanics.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

In the conversation for sure but i wouldn't expect him to win it. Ohtani likely has the MVP on lock until he decides he's bored of winning it. Ace level pitching stats + an OPS+ of 145 is kinda hard to argue against.

Top 3 right now would probably be him, Bo and Judge since he's doing that thing where he drags the Yankees to relevance again before he got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad