Roster Moves: Manning (3-to-4 weeks), Neuvirth (7-to-10 days) placed on IR; TJ Brennan and Alex Lyon recalled

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That was the best offer they got for Streit, TB had to take less when they flipped him.
Hextall has done this in a number of deals, sometimes just to improve the deal (Lehtera), sometimes both for picks and players (Weal).

I don't think they love Filppula, Hextall saw him as a one year patch, at the time he was destined to be the 3rd center (behind Giroux and Couts, with Patrick working his way into the lineup). Then the first line emerged, and it's hard to argue with tremendous success.

I can't imagine them extending Filppula, why would he take a one year deal and why would they offer anything longer?
Patrick is almost certain to be the #2C next year, and Rubtsov/Frost/Vorobyev/Laughton/MV the #3 and #4 centers in 2019-20.
So there would only be room for him at center for one season, and that only if AHL centers aren't ready.
Same at LW, Lindblom will be up next year, and Rubtsov, Laughton, Bunnaman in 2019.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Nope, Filppula was a salary dump, we got 4th, 7th and Filppula for Streit, TB then traded Streit for 2018 4th rd pick.
So we got more value for Streit by taking Filppula.

I'm confused, are you disputing that Filp is a veteran, or that Hex traded for him?

Because from where I'm standing, both of those are true.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm confused, are you disputing that Filp is a veteran, or that Hex traded for him?

Because from where I'm standing, both of those are true.

That Hextall gave up a net asset to get him.
All his veteran acquisitions have been plus asset deals, where he gets a veteran on a short-term deal along with draft picks.
Not one deal where he targeted a veteran and traded a draft pick or prospect to obtain him.

Even in free agency, MDZ -2yr, Schultz-2yr, etc. Weise was the only long-term deal and all of $2.35M a year.

You'll know the rebuild has entered the next phase when Hextall trades picks/prospects for a NHL player.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's extraordinarily nitpicky to claim he hasn't traded for veterans because they also happened to come with picks. It makes zero sense.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That Hextall gave up a net asset to get him.
All his veteran acquisitions have been plus asset deals, where he gets a veteran on a short-term deal along with draft picks.
Not one deal where he targeted a veteran and traded a draft pick or prospect to obtain him.

Even in free agency, MDZ -2yr, Schultz-2yr, etc. Weise was the only long-term deal and all of $2.35M a year.

You'll know the rebuild has entered the next phase when Hextall trades picks/prospects for a NHL player.

If I understand your post correctly, you are saying that Filp is a veteran, and that the flyers traded for him.

I'm glad we agreed on that.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
That's extraordinarily nitpicky to claim he hasn't traded for veterans because they also happened to come with picks. It makes zero sense.

Umburger....not like we traded Hartnell for a young player or picks. We traded him for a veteran dumpster fire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad