Manitoba Moose 2016-2017 Season (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
1:01 MB Julian Melchiori (1) ASST: Andrew Copp (5), JC Lipon (1)
4:43 MB Jan Kostalek (2) ASST: None
15:26 SD Scott Sabourin (1) ASST: Andrew Welinski (4), Stu Bickel (1)

2nd
8:29 MB Patrice Cormier (1) ASST: None
13:21 MB Patrice Cormier (2) ASST: None (SH)
14:10 SD Nick Sorensen (1) ASST: Nick Tarnasky (1), Jeff Schultz (3)
18:10 SD Nick Tarnasky (2) ASST: Nick Sorensen (2)

3rd
12:11 SD Andrew Welinski (1) ASST: Kalle Kossila (3)
13:29 MB Nic Petan (3) ASST: Peter Stoykewych (1), Jan Kostalek (1)

Pavelec 37/41

WHL prices in Vancouver (well Langley this year) are tops at $30 a game. WHL. $25 is more then reasonable for a family of 4 per game for AHL. Jets it'd be near $1000. They still have costs to cover, etc. You're being a cheapo.

Sure, the alternative NHL product makes the the supply/demand different for the Moose than in a non-NHL market, but the difference in price reduces that overlap since there are those who will be priced out of the Jets.

25 is also fairly cheap. It's not dirt cheap, but it's cheap.

Moose-sweep-Gulls-300x225.jpg

Including scoring summary, player analysis and post-game audio (Peter Stoykewych, Scott Glennie and Coach Vincent). Credit to Stoykewych who found out mid interview that his "first AHL goal" was in fact tipped in by Petan but managed to roll with it and says something to effect of "Give a lot of credit to the guys who go to the front of the net they provide the screens and tips obviously....."

To read/listen click here.

Would be more reasonable if Ticketmaster didn't slap another 12 on the top.

$21 plus fees for the cheapest single game tickets. That is too expensive. But they can charge what they want. If you are poor go watch Bisons for $5 . You won't notice the difference.

I would notice the difference between football and hockey. ;)

Carry on.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Behind the Mask with Manitoba Moose goalie Eric Comrie

JK2_1961-300x200.jpg

He isn't quite as involved as Hellebuyck and Hutchinson are with their masks. Still interesting how goalies have gravitated to Bob Essensa in their mask design.

To read click here.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Glad to see them off to a pretty good start this year. Haven't gotten to a game yet but plan on getting to a few this year.

That was expected. The forward depth is pretty good this year and the defense is.. not.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Pretty entertaining final 40 minutes from the Moose tonight! The first period was a bit of a snoozefest 1-1 game, but the Moose turned it up in the final 2 frames. Here are some of my thoughts (single game sample, so take everything with a grain of salt):

Comrie - made two ultra-Pavelecian plays behind the net, the first that ended up in the back of the net. Passed it up the boards to a Cleveland player and was slow getting back to the net. Looked pretty darn good other than those 2 brain farts.

Petan - was worried about him at first, seemed like he was trying to do too much himself. Settled in after about 15 minutes and easily looked like one of the best players on the ice. Had some pretty good chemistry with Scottt Glennie I thought. Worked the PP like the god damn magician I knew he is. Like Perreault+.

Glennie - totally forgot he was on our team until I went to the game tonight. Honestly not a bad pickup in my opinion - dude has everything to prove, so hopefully he's got his head on straight now. As he continues to get into game shape I'm sure people will like what they see. Dude is a beast in front of the net and is very physically gifted.

Olsen - I was pretty high on Olsen last season, but as others continue to improve, he might be the next Blomqvist. Other than his goal (a beauty feed from Lodge) he didn't do a whole lot.

Peluso - still useless at the AHL level. Oh well.

De Leo - love his hustle. Absolutely love it. Just not sure where his ceiling is, and with some other "small" guys on the Jets, it makes you wonder just how small they want to go.

Roslovic - didn't notice him too much in the first two periods, but he played the whole game with Lemieux and Peluso. Absolutely turned on the jets near the end for an empty netter. May have just been a quieter game for him.

Lemieux - scrappy, hard working, belongs in the A right now. he'll get there.

Stoykewych - my surprise of the game. played great. hadn't really heard much about him, I see he's a hometown guy! definitely one of the top defenders on the Moose this season.

Pavelec - has the sweetest gig around for the $$ that he's making. looked friggin' great on that bench.

No one else really stood out, good or bad. Fairly even-keel game on the Moose end of things, which is nice to see! Definitely more fun than seeing a bunch of losses, like last year.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Pretty entertaining final 40 minutes from the Moose tonight! The first period was a bit of a snoozefest 1-1 game, but the Moose turned it up in the final 2 frames. Here are some of my thoughts (single game sample, so take everything with a grain of salt):

Comrie - made two ultra-Pavelecian plays behind the net, the first that ended up in the back of the net. Passed it up the boards to a Cleveland player and was slow getting back to the net. Looked pretty darn good other than those 2 brain farts.

Petan - was worried about him at first, seemed like he was trying to do too much himself. Settled in after about 15 minutes and easily looked like one of the best players on the ice. Had some pretty good chemistry with Scottt Glennie I thought. Worked the PP like the god damn magician I knew he is. Like Perreault+.

Glennie - totally forgot he was on our team until I went to the game tonight. Honestly not a bad pickup in my opinion - dude has everything to prove, so hopefully he's got his head on straight now. As he continues to get into game shape I'm sure people will like what they see. Dude is a beast in front of the net and is very physically gifted.

Olsen - I was pretty high on Olsen last season, but as others continue to improve, he might be the next Blomqvist. Other than his goal (a beauty feed from Lodge) he didn't do a whole lot.

De Leo - love his hustle. Absolutely love it. Just not sure where his ceiling is, and with some other "small" guys on the Jets, it makes you wonder just how small they want to go.

Roslovic - didn't notice him too much in the first two periods, but he played the whole game with Lemieux and Peluso. Absolutely turned on the jets near the end for an empty netter. May have just been a quieter game for him.

Stoykewych - my surprise of the game. played great. hadn't really heard much about him, I see he's a hometown guy! definitely one of the top defenders on the Moose this season.

Pavelec - has the sweetest gig around for the $$ that he's making. looked friggin' great on that bench.

No one else really stood out, good or bad. Fairly even-keel game on the Moose end of things, which is nice to see! Definitely more fun than seeing a bunch of losses, like last year.

Roslovic deserves a ton of credit on Petan's goal. I know it was a 5 on 3 but that was tape to tape back door while staring at Czuczman. Nobody knew where he was going with it. Beautiful play.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
great write up. thanks.

Not a problem! I'll add that Sonny Milano was pretty invisible until there was about 10 minutes left in the 3rd, and Cleveland was down by 1. Then he had about 2 shifts where he absolutely dominated in our end. Petan scored with 6(?) minutes left and he was nowhere to be seen again. I'm sure the CBJ want that "10 minute left effort" a bit more consistently, but he's only 20.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Roslovic deserves a ton of credit on Petan's goal. I know it was a 5 on 3 but that was tape to tape back door while staring at Czuczman. Nobody knew where he was going with it. Beautiful play.

True that, credit where credit is due. Glennie was also battling like a madman in front of the net during that 5 on 3.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Thanks a lot!

Glad to hear some of our guys are looking good. I'm also happy to see the Moose playing well this year. I think the crowds come back if they keep this up.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Also attended the Moose game this evening and echo a lot of the same sentiments:

De Leo: Super quick and caused a tonne of rushed passes and throwaways with his tenacious forechecking an backchecking. He was very solid positionally in the defensive end and is surprisingly good at tying guys up for someone his size. He definitely doesn't have a high end offensive skill but he goes to the dirty areas and finds pucks often, he likes to shoot and finds ways to get shots off fairly consistently.

Roslovic: He got used a lot on defensive zone faceoffs and was pretty decent positionally. He didn't create much in the offensive zone offensively (might have had something to do with his line mates as well) other than the PP assist and sweet toe drag when puck squirted out and the Monster defenceman was in a bit of a bad spot. He is easily the most skilled player in the neutral zone though, he's a fast skater and change directions really well and has the hands to beat guys in open ice. Really effective at gaining the offensive zone.

Petan: Had a bad couple shifts to start, after that was probably the best forward on the ice and looked the most "ready". Consistently had great positioning in both ends, won board battles in both ends with a quick stick and good body positioning and he was fantastic supporting the defencemen in puck battles in their own end. He was fantastic at supporting puck carriers on the breakout and the neutral zone finding open spots and offering a safe outlet. Looked great on the cycle in the offensive end making very quick decisions to find open guys or dumping it to areas where only his teammates could reach and created a bunch of scoring chances. He seemed to really tilt the ice 5 on 5 and was an integral part of 3 goals which he didn't up with any primary points. On the PP he was everything he usually is, he played most of his PP minutes down low to the left of the net and squeezed some nice passes across and to the blue line.

Howden: His speed and size seemed to be a lot to handle for many of the Monster players.

Glennie: Was effective didn't pay super close attention TBH.

Lemeuix: Really nasty but took what looked to be 2 questionable penalties. Wins lots of board battles with his strength and likes to finish his checks whenever he gets a chance. He missed a lot of easy passes in the neutral zone which would have gained the zone for the Moose, one on the PP really stuck out. He had Petan wide open near the opposing blue line and instead put his head down tried to beat the Monster forward and basically skated into Petan and the Monster D who moved up then threw a weak one handed dump into the zone which was sent back immediately. He has a really good shot based on what I saw from him in junior and for the Moose last year but struggled to find any soft spots to use it. Maybe just a bad game from him but he didn't look significantly more talented than Lipon offensively TBH.

Peluso: Kind of funny, his physical talent is actually probably above average in the AHL but still looks lost and too slow mentally to be effective with any consistency.

Lodge/Kramer/Olsen: Pretty bad despite the goal hemmed in their own zone a lot. Olsen is actually a reasonably good skater and throws some hard hits but made a lot of poor plays with the puck and his hands are pretty poor. Lodge has decent vision if he gets the puck with some time and space but otherwise is basically a non factor.

Didn't watch the D super closely but Czuzcman and Stokewych both stood in that they were able to move the puck out of their own end effectively and pretty consistently. Also good in their own end. Rest of the guys were pretty tough to watch. Kostalek wasn't a disaster, in fact I barely noticed him so that seems to be an improvement on where he was at last year.

Last edited:

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
How did Darcy Murphy look? He was one of Tulsas best players this season and we signed him to a PTO a few days ago. Only 24 years old and he could definitely be another DeSalvo type player.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
1st
6:35 CLE Justin Scott (2) ASST: Nick Moutrey (3)
14:15 MB Darcy Murphy (1) ASST: Jan Kostalek (2), Chase De Leo (3)
2nd
8:29 MB Peter Stoykewych (1) ASST: Quinton Howden (1)
14:18 CLE Ryan Craig (1) ASST: Daniel Zaar (3), Alex Broadhurst (4) (PP)
16:48 MB Ryan Olsen (1) ASST: Jimmy Lodge (2), Darren Kramer (1)
3rd
7:16 CLE Cody Goloubef (2) ASST: Jaime Sifers (4), Alex Broadhurst (5)
8:44 MB Quinton Howden (5) ASST: Scott Glennie (1), Kevin Czuczman (3)
14:13 MB Nic Petan (4) ASST: Jack Roslovic (5), Kevin Czuczman (4) (PP)
16:24 MB Quinton Howden (6) ASST: None (EN, SH)
19:23 MB Jack Roslovic (3) ASST: Scott Glennie (2), Kevin Czuczman (5) (EN)

Comrie 32/35 .914

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure how howden isn't talked about more. This kid should be recalled today, and played ahead of thorburn. 6 goals in 9 game. Howden copp Tanev would have a little speed.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Not sure how howden isn't talked about more. This kid should be recalled today, and played ahead of thorburn. 6 goals in 9 game. Howden copp Tanev would have a little speed.

Won't happen. He would need to clear waivers again as soon as someone gets healthy. I agree though, he's playing well, but let him get some long-term traction and then see what he can do for us in lieu of Burmi/Thor.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Won't happen. He would need to clear waivers again as soon as someone gets healthy. I agree though, he's playing well, but let him get some long-term traction and then see what he can do for us in lieu of Burmi/Thor.

No he wouldn't. He does not require waivers again until hes spent 30 days on nhl roster or played in 10 games at nhl level. Whichever comes first. Until then he can move freeely from ahl to nhl and nhl to ahl.

Also that doesnt matter. Hes a tweener signed to be a back and forth guy. People freak out way too much about waivers considering how few players are claimed on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad