Manitoba Junior Hockey League Superthread

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I needed a place to put my idle MJHL thoughts, so I created this thread. Hopefully there are some other MJHL fans out there.

Anyway, not a ton of parity this season. 5 teams that are or could be nationally ranked, 5 teams that are pretty much out of the playoffs already, and 3 in-betweeners.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Looks like I spoke too soon about the parity thing... on Saturday night the Winnipeg Freeze beat the big-dog Portage Terriers!

That's nice to see. The Winnipeg-based clubs have been punching bags for too long.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Freeze have won two in a row!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o_O:eek3:o_O:eek3:

But that said, even though it's only November it looks like the playoff positions are getting close to locked down in the East Division. The Winnipeg teams or Selkirk would have to go on one hell of a heater to get back into the playoff conversation. There's still time, though...

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Steinbach Pistons ranked number 4 in the CJHL, Winkler Flyers ranked 6th this week. The Virden Oil Capitals also made the list at 12th, and the Portage Terriers got an honourable mention.

Gonna try and make it out to some games in December, I'd like to check out some out of town games. As much as I love the Blues and Freeze I need a little atmosphere instead of the morgue-like environment of the HFA Centre.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Freeze beat the Blues in the battle of Winnipeg!!!!!1

It's crazy, the Freeze are in third last place now. Slow and steady wins the race. The Winnipeg teams even have a statistical leader now, Dawson Zeller of the Winnipeg Blues is tied for fourth in goals with 13.

Looking at the standings it seems that the only playoff spot still up in the air is the fourth and final West Div spot. Neepawa has it as of now, but Wayway is only 3 points behind. Selkirk and the Winnipeg teams are pretty much out of contention in the East. :(

donald-trump-sad.gif

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Blues pounded the Nighthawks 6-2 in Niverville last night. Yeah the Blues are probably out of the playoff race at this point but they are certainly looking like a team on the rise.

Maybe now that the ICE are gone, the Blues/Freeze owners are putting some more effort into their MJHL teams...

• Haha
Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Despite the terrible roads I finally made it out a game in Niverville last night to see the Nighthawks play the Stampeders. Kind of a frustrating game for both sides, Niverville badly outshot the Stampeders but couldn't take control of the game... it was 3-3 until fairly late when the Nighthawks finally pulled ahead and held on for the 4-3 win. Swan Valley desperately needed that win and they came so close, but alas.

It was cool to see former Winnipeg ICE Josh Mettimano with the Nighthawks. They definitely look like a team on the rise.

The Niverville CRRC is an interesting rink for the MJHL. It's very new, only two years old, and has that fresh rink look and feel. But it was clearly not designed with the MJHL in mind, it's well short of what Portage has and what Steinbach will have. It's awkward getting around the seating areas and there is no media area so the PxP guys have to sit on a folding table on the cramped walkway. The fans are into it, though... there were over 500 people at the game which is not bad for the MJ, and everyone is decked out in team merch. But everyone sits on one side so it doesn't help the atmosphere much.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Absolutely amazing call from the Pistons/Oil Caps game... turn the speakers up for this one (but not too loud if you're in a public place lol) :laugh:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Nice to see my man Dawson Zeller of the Winnipeg Blues tied for the MJHL scoring lead at 17. Haven't seen too many of the Blues/Freeze among the statistical leaders lately. He's tied with Nolan Chastko of the Oil Caps... Zeller has more goals in 27 games so far this season than he had in all 49 games he played last season.

Looking forward to heading out to the Iceplex to see those Blues take on the Terriers. We'll see how the Blues measure up to one of the elite teams in the league.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Winnipeg Freeze pounded 7-0 by the elite-tier Portage Terriers last night. Just when you think they start getting it together something like this happens.

The Terriers take on the Winnipeg Blues tonight, I'm expecting a closer game.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Went out to the Iceplex to watch the Winnipeg Blues take on the Portage Terriers. Utter domination by Portage, they took a 5-0 lead after one period and then cruised to a 9-1 win. Dawson Zeller scored the Blues' only goal which puts him at the top of the MJ scoring race, a feat made extra impressive by the Blues overall ineptitude.

I consider myself a Blues fan since they're the home team, but what the organization provides makes me wonder what is in it for the players. The scene is kind of depressing, it's a rag-tag group of players that are badly outgunned most nights, and they play in front of beer league tier crowds (51 in the arena last night by my count, although I'm sure a few others were watching without tickets from the Iceplex's bar and grill that overlooks the ice) with little if any corporate sponsorship. There is absolutely zero home ice advantage, there's not even a Blues logo to be seen anywhere in the rink. So what that means is with no fan support and no corporate backing, the players and their families are probably left to shoulder the immense costs of running the team on their own... the end result is these kids are working part time jobs and the parents are sacrificing whatever to pay thousands of dollars in fees each season just to ride the bus around Manitoba and get blown out most nights. It's a weird setup.

The Freeze lost to Steinbach 2-1 in OT which is an impressively close showing, any time a Winnipeg team can come out of Steinbach (well, La Broquerie) with a point then that's a good day. The Freeze have been the hotter of the two Winnipeg clubs lately. The Blues get their turn to take on the Pistons tonight so we'll see how that goes.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Welp. Dawson Zeller gets the first goal and then the Blues give up seven straight and go on to lose to Steinbach 7-1.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the placement of the MJHL teams in the CJHL Top 20 National Rankings. Steinbach is 5th, Winkler is 7th, Virden is 10th. Portage has to settle for an honourable mention. Yet Portage is ahead of Winkler in the standings and only 2 points out of first place behind Steinbach. What is this business.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The MJ's two week Christmas/New Year's hiatus ends tonight, the Flyers travel to Winnipeg to take on the struggling Freeze who have lost seven in a row.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Maybe against my better judgment I skipped the Jets at Yotes on TV last night to go watch the Winnipeg Blues take on the Waywayseecappo Wolverines at the hockey for all centre.

Wayway is a team that's sitting out of playoff contention but they looked like the 1977 Montreal Canadiens against a deeply overmatched Blues squad. The only Blues player that stood out was triggerman Dawson Zeller who added a bit of grit in the corners to go with his offensive capabilities. Sadly, the Blues whiffed on an incredible number of passes in the slot which made for what was probably one of Wayway goalie Kaiden Kirkwood's easier days at the office as the Blues lost 7-zip.

For a short while last fall it looked like the Blues and Freeze were starting to come to life but they've regressed with both teams combining for a grand total of one goal in four games so far in 2024.

Atmosphere at the HFA Centre was the typical 0/10. Roughly 70 people in the barn last night and the Blues fans had nothing to cheer about so it was dead in spite of what was a reasonably eventful and interesting game even with the lopsided score. In terms of atmosphere it basically feels like you are watching the 11 pm beer league. The announcer is incomprehensible over the junky speakers, and the musical selections during stoppages are downright terrible, it's like they picked your least favourite SiriusXM channel with forgettable 80s and 90s songs and just put that on blast. It's so bad that even a few ads would liven things up, assuming that the Blues had any corporate sponsors willing to shell out for promotional messages.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
CJHL rankings came out and as usual, Steinbach, Winkler and Virden occupy top 10 spots. Portage has dropped off the honourable mentions.

Flin Flon is ranked number one, last time I checked that is in Manitoba so the Keystone Province can rightfully claim the top junior A team in all the land, haha.

Rankings for the period concluding Jan. 7.
CJHL TOP 20 – FUELLED BY GATORADE
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (PREVIOUS RANKING)

1. Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL) (1)
2. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (2)
3. Collingwood Blues (OJHL) (3)
4. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (5)
5. Summerside Western Capitals (MHL) (6)
6. Sherwood Park Crusaders (AJHL (8)
7. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (4)
8. Milton Menace (OJHL) (9)
9. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (7)
10. Virden Oil Capitals (MJHL) (10)
11. Navan Grads (CCHL) (14)
12. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (11)
13. Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) (HM)
14. Blind River Beavers (NOJHL) (16)
15. Greater Sudbury Cubs (NOJHL) (15)
16. Sioux Lookout Bombers (SIJHL) (20)
17. VC de Laval (LHJAAAQ) (12)
18. Condors du Cégep Beauce-Appalaches (LHJAAAQ) (HM)
19. West Kent Steamers (MHL) (18)
20. Kam River Fighting Walleye (SIJHL) (17)
HONOURABLE MENTION: Okotoks Oilers (AJHL); Melfort Mustangs (SJHL); Toronto Jr. Canadiens (OJHL); Rockland Nationals (CCHL); Edmundston Blizzard (MHL)

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Freeze got shellacked 8-0 in Wayway last night. This is nuts, what's the point of having two Winnipeg clubs with the same ownership, the same arena, the same model when all they do is get pumped night after night, year after year? But then again, if the eTransfers from the players keep rolling in, I guess there's no pressing need to fix things

In happier news, Selkirk's Matthew Moreira got a shout out from the CJHL as he was named an honourable mention in the national 3 stars for December. I still haven't seen the Steelers play this season but I'd like to get a look at them at some point. But it will have to be soon because the playoffs are slowly falling out of sight for Selkirk.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The MJ is pumping the MJHL-SJHL showcase coming up at the end of the month. It's at the Seven Oaks Sportsplex in Winnipeg on Jan. 30 & 31.

2024-Showcase-Banner-2-2048x213.png

The format is interesting, they break the players down into a bunch of MJ/SJ teams with U18s and U20s. But it's not my jam, it feels like a purely scout-oriented event. I wonder how much of a difference it really makes anyway given that the scouts likely already know who's who? One thing is for sure, if I could get my hands on one of those team MJHL jerseys I'd be all over it like a dog on a bone.

Anyway, maybe there are some different opinions here. Anyone planning to check it out?

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Oh man. Last night at Stride Place, the Blues score early in the third to tie Portage at 3 a piece. Then proceed to give up 5 straight and lose 8-3.

The win for Portage was enough to make HC Blake Spiller the winningest coach in MJHL history, with 671 wins in total. Impressive.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Freeze lose two close games on consecutive nights. 6-4 to Winkler on Wednesday, then 3-2 to Selkirk on Thursday. It looks like the Freeze are separating themselves from the Blues a little bit in the battle for the divisional basement between the Winnipeg teams.

Also, new Dave Anthony column dropped last night. I love it, dude is the MJHL's Elliotte Friedman, Darren Dreger and Frank Seravalli rolled into one haha

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Stop the presses! The Blues won on Friday night! Beat the Blizzard (not "OCN" anymore I guess) 4-3 in OT. But then lost the next night to Swan Valley. Sigh.

The Freeze took their customary butt-whipping, losing 6-0 at home last night to Selkirk.

The only real playoff race left at this point is seeing whether Wayway can overtake Neepawa for fourth in the west. Beyond that it's just jockeying for position.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Looking at this news about the rebel AJHL teams joining the BCHL, I wonder if the BCHL braintrust is looking at spreading even further east into Sask and Manitoba?

I doubt the existing BCHL teams have any interest in traveling to Manitoba for games. Much like the WHL, I'm sure the BCHL sees Manitoba and to a lesser extent Sask as a bit of a nuisance. Although I wonder if they are scheming to poach the top MJHL/SJHL teams to form an eastern division of sorts that mostly just plays within the division? That would let them a) kick the CJHL in the goolies by snagging some top teams and thereby elevating the BCHL's own position, and b) stake a claim to the decent talent pool in the area, all without having to commit to extensive travel in the area for west coast teams?

The teams in the MJHL that kind of fit the BCHL model of largish market, largish arena, good support and track record of on ice success and effective recruitment would be Steinbach and Portage for sure. Both are successful, have nice new arenas (Steinbach's is still under construction) and are close enough to Winnipeg that they may be of interest to players from that city. Beyond that there is also Virden (good location that would give the league a Westman presence, convenient in that teams would be driving through there anyway, and the team's setup is good with great support and a nice newer arena), and Dauphin (great arena and community presence but a little out of the way). Winkler would be appealing but their arena is pretty small and old so it may not work. Selkirk has some things going for it (big arena, close to Winnipeg) but support for the team is an issue. Niverville on the other hand is well supported and has a new rink, but both building and community may simply be too small. Winnipeg is probably out of the question because as with the WHL ICE, there is simply no suitable place to play for the long term. The Hockey For All Centre (home to the MJHL Freeze and Blues) won't work for a league with higher aspirations, and the Canada Life Centre is likely off limits. So that leaves a prospective Winnipeg team with really just the Wayne Fleming Arena. It would be a better fit for junior A than it was for the dub, but still not ideal.

Bottom line, if the BCHL is interested in spreading its tentacles this far east, I suspect they must be calling Portage and Steinbach. Beyond that maybe Virden. But that's probably it.

So what would a hypothetical "BCHL East Division" look like? Maybe something like this?

Portage Terriers
Steinbach Pistons
Virden Oil Capitals
Battlefords North Stars
Estevan Bruins
Flin Flon Bombers

I can't say that I'd love this arrangement as I'd like to see the MJHL remain intact. But I suspect there will be some pressure on some of the more ambitious teams to get on this bandwagon - again, assuming that Man/Sask are actually on the BCHL radar. Which it may not be.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
oldunclehue spills the tea on what he's been hearing about a possible MJHL/SJHL response to the BCHL's moves:

Rumours are flying around some MJHL organizations that there are talks of a "Prairie Junior Hockey League" combining teams from MJHL, SJHL and AJHL. Having different divisions to limit travel and move towards a more competitive league, leaving out some of the bottom feeder teams that struggle (Wpg Freeze, Wpg Blues, Selkirk) and I'd potentially add in OCN, Neepawa and Swan Valley.

Leagues will need to think outside the box so they don't lose the top end talent for nothing to the BCHL as it grows.

Hockey Canada is hurting at many fronts right now. They need to re-evaluate how they do business or they will continue to lose support of league, fans and hockey players. Sad state of affairs for them right now.

But hey....the not allowed to change in dressing rooms rule was their BIG NEWS of the year...otherwise its been a pathetic year. And I think leagues under the CHL should consider becoming independent as development from Hockey Canada has diminished especially the further west from Toronto you go.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Well, with a pause in the regular season for the MJHL/SJHL showcase starting today in Winnipeg, it's a pretty quiet week on the ice for the MJHL. But things are buzzing off the ice.

The Winnipeg Free Press' Mike Sawatzky has a story in today's paper that expands on @oldunclehue 's comment from last week. It looks like something is cooking on the Prairie Super League front. The unexpected twist is that the AJHL teams left out of the BCHL merger could be part of it. Which makes sense on some level, as once you remove the 'big dog' teams like Brooks, what's left is generally going to be a lot closer to a SJHL or MJHL team. (Mind you some of the remaining teams are still fairly big dogs in their own right, like Fort McMurray and Grande Prairie who average over 1,000 fans a game.)

Anyway, here are some of the juicy bits from Sawatzky's article:

Rumblings about the potential creation of a Prairie super league, combining the remaining 11 AJHL clubs with all or some of 13 existing MJHL teams and 12 SJHL franchises, have been gathering steam.

The rebel AJHL clubs have an edge not available to most junior A franchises.

“Most of them are owned by millionaires and those people have a lot of disposable income that a community owned and operated team would not have,” said SJHL commissioner Kyle McIntyre. “And so I think in addition to some of the restrictions that Hockey Canada has, people with money and resources and people who’ve been successful in business typically don’t accept no for an answer.”

Under one scenario, a potential Prairie super league would operate a three-division format for the purposes of geographic convenience with the AJHL teams combining with teams close to Saskatchewan’s western border in one division, Manitoba teams uniting with SJHL clubs in Flin Flon, Yorkton and Estevan in another division comprising the remaining Saskatchewan clubs.

Tatarnic said there’s another twist coming. The NCAA is expected lift its ban on the eligibility of major-junior (Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior) players sometime in the next few years.

“I think that’s going to happen at some point and when it does, I think it’s important to make sure that the remaining junior A teams have a real good relationship with the Western Hockey League and CHL because I think we might see those top-end young players that opt out of the Western Hockey League now staying,” said Tatarnic. “Now, is every kid going to do that? I don’t know but I think a number of kids would do that because they’ll have an opportunity to get drafted early. And if they don’t, they’ll have options after that.”

That last bit is interesting. If all this BCHL draaaamaaaaaa is because teams want to take advantage of junior A's sweet spot as the domestic junior league that leaves doors open to the NCAA, then what happens to it all if the NCAA's rules change and the CHL also becomes a path to US college hockey? If that happens, what is the point of the growing exodus to junior A? Wouldn't things just revert back to the way they were with most blue chips going to the CHL (with some heading off to the NCAA after a year or two), and junior A losing its newfound lustre? Does it undermine the purpose of the BCHL's exit from Hockey Canada, the AJHL merger and the creation of the Prairie Super League?

As interesting as this idea is, I have to say that I would not be thrilled to see the number of junior hockey teams in Manitoba shrink as a result. I think it's a given that if the super league takes off, Steinbach and Portage are locks to be part of it. Winkler and Virden probably will be too. There's a good chance that Dauphin will be involved. But then after that all bets are off for the remaining teams. Some might make it, some might not. It would be pretty sad if several longstanding teams across Manitoba were lost as a result of a merger or had to drop down to junior B, assuming the merger actually happens.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The SJHL/MJHL showcase is going on right now at the Seven Oaks Sportsplex. I think the SJ went 3 for 3 in yesterday's games. Can't say I'm terribly interested myself, this seems like an event only scouts could care about. I can only wonder what kind of behind the scenes chatter is taking place between the head honchos though, haha.

I sent a message to Mike Sawatzky asking if he'd be getting a response from the Winnipeg club owners, who I assume is still Greg Fettes and Matt Cockell via PLAY Hockey, but he told me that those guys have refused to talk to the Free Press for quite some time. I know that Mike became persona non grata when he reported on the WHL's fine imposed on the ICE for failing to get a rink built, at that point he stopped covering the ICE altogether and was replaced on the ICE beat by Joshua Frey-Sam. The funny thing is that I don't think Fettes and Cockell talk to the Winnipeg Sun either after Scott Billeck blew the whistle on the Blues' and Freeze's attempts at evading pandemic restrictions on team activities a few years ago. That leaves Perry Bergson from the Brandon Sun, maybe he can get a quote from them about their thoughts and plans with all this league drama going on?

Anyway, thinking about taking a spin out to Portage this Sunday to see the Terriers take on the Blizzard.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad