Manchester United partial sale completed: Jim Ratcliffe acquires 27.7% share, 100% control of sporting side)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Not to be the negative nancy in the room, but they've felt / said that in the past. Getting rid of players doesn't completely work if they don't want to go.

Sure, they can pay them to go, but that kinda defeats some of the point with FFP.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Sir Jim Ratcliffe said: “To become co-owner of Manchester United is a great honour and comes with great responsibility. This marks the completion of the transaction, but just the beginning of our journey to take Manchester United back to the top of English, European and world football, with world-class facilities for our fans. Work to achieve those objectives will accelerate from today.”

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He's looking for government funding to build a new stadium too. Fantastic.
I don't know the details but if the UK government provides partial funding for projects like this, why shouldn't he ask? It's not the fool who asks, but the fool who pays. It's just like in Finland/EU, it doesn't hurt to ask for city/government/EU funding for major construction projects, because very often they do give funding.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't know the details but if the UK government provides partial funding for projects like this, why shouldn't he ask? It's not the fool who asks, but the fool who pays. It's just like in Finland/EU, it doesn't hurt to ask for city/government/EU funding for major construction projects, because very often they do give funding.
I've always thought the trend of North American billionaires to guilt/bribe/threaten local governments into paying lots of money to build them stadiums to be horrible in principle, but at least the sporting setup is different there. I have no idea if the government would or will pay a significant amount for this. Given the fuss around the tax situation for West Ham using the Olympic stadium, I'm not sure I see it happening outside of the general infrastructure that would go along with it - transport links etc.

Wikipedia tells me that Spurs' new stadium cost 1.2 billion and was financed through a combination of the club's own resources, bank loans and club revenues.

My issue with this would be a billionaire asking the government to help finance a stadium for the most valuable sports team in the world. I really think the public response to it would be much more negative and impactful than it is in American cases of this.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've always thought the trend of North American billionaires to guilt/bribe/threaten local governments into paying lots of money to build them stadiums to be horrible in principle, but at least the sporting setup is different there. I have no idea if the government would or will pay a significant amount for this. Given the fuss around the tax situation for West Ham using the Olympic stadium, I'm not sure I see it happening outside of the general infrastructure that would go along with it - transport links etc.

Wikipedia tells me that Spurs' new stadium cost 1.2 billion and was financed through a combination of the club's own resources, bank loans and club revenues.

My issue with this would be a billionaire asking the government to help finance a stadium for the most valuable sports team in the world. I really think the public response to it would be much more negative and impactful than it is in American cases of this.
If they'd build it right next Old Trafford it would be seen as improving the area economy as well as jobs it would bring.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Manchester United are reportedly ‘refusing to compromise’ with Newcastle United over the fee they want for Dan Ashworth, and both sides will have to make transfer moves without sporting directors in place in the interim.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I love when corporate guys do this. Better cut back on those extra weekend meals on the corporate cards because they're killing the bottom line. Definitely wasn't buying a billion dollars worth of players who flopped. Nope definitely the extra charges on the corporate card.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I love when corporate guys do this. Better cut back on those extra weekend meals on the corporate calls they're killing the bottom line. Definitely wasn't buying a billion dollars worth of players who flopped. Nope definitely the extra charges on the corporate card.
I remember when Under Armour had to cancel their corporate cards because they kept getting used at strip clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad