Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I'm happy with Xavi staying, provided we keep the second position in the league. Realistically at the beginning of the season I was thinking we're finishing second and getting eliminated by a team like PSG. We can't ask for more right now with our team and financial situation.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Very curious what went on behind the scenes. Whether it be promises of some funds or selling players.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
he eredivisies is not a good league at all and even then although he has done remarkly well with a modest budget which is noted and very valued by FSG, he also has not even be that dominant in that league which was still mostly dominated by PSV/Ajax. I mean yes he has mostly overachieved based on expectation but not to level of a guy like Amorim who has turned his team into the most dominant side in their league and has one of the best winning % in Europe and also by developing young player. Same applies to Xabi Alonso which was also untainnable but he was still a former LFC legend, they could have agreed maybe a pre-contract with him for next year and have Pep Ljinders become interim manager for a year.
Sporting is up by 7 points, which is exactly how much Feyenoord won by last season. Sporting, by the way, finished 4th last season. And Feyenoord has developed young players, too. Quentin Timber, Beelen, Hartman, Minteh, etc.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sporting is up by 7 points, which is exactly how much Feyenoord won by last season. Sporting, by the way, finished 4th last season. And Feyenoord has developed young players, too. Quentin Timber, Beelen, Hartman, Minteh, etc.
I rate the Portuguese league significantly more than the Eredivisie. In both cases it's a huge risk but I would have taken the guy with 71% win rate and never sacked.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I rate the Portuguese league significantly more than the Eredivisie. In both cases it's a huge risk but I would have taken the guy with 71% win rate and never sacked.
Sure, but my point is that Feyenoord last season is just as dominant as Sporting this season. And I'd point out that Slot was sacked by AZ not because of his performance, but because he had negotiated a deal with Feyenoord to take over after the season was over.

More to the point, however, there is no manager that is not a huge risk.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Spin zone: he could very well be the best bald dutch manager in the EPL
You know, I think a big reason no one wants him is because of this, at least on a subliminal level. Too many fans going to have to delete tweets.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Question : would Liverpool be happy with hiring Peter Bosz?
Probably not...

I think Liverpool are in for a couple of rebuilding seasons regardless of who the manager is, I just hope the fans will be aware of that. This core is done, it's (IMO) time to move on from VVD and Salah, sell to Saudis for a load of cash, and possibly spend a season or two changing to a new system and getting the new manager all the right pieces.

I don't think they'll be happy with anyone, outside of maybe Xabi Alonso, as whoever comes in is probably gonna be looking up at City (and Arsenal) from a distance, and they're unlikely to be making a CL final run again in their current form either.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t know if it’s a couple season rebuild. I do think Salah going might be best. But I think there’s a lot more young talent to build around. The cupboard isn’t bare. It’s not a complete tear down, though they do have to be smart about who stays and goes.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
And he outperformed Slot in Eredivisie.
There's a chance he rejoins Lyon. He was lost there tbh.
I think this statement needs a bit of context. PSV outspends Feyenoord by quite a bit. They spent more on players this summer. Feyenoord's biggest spend on a player is 8 million. They're both clubs who are constantly developing and selling players, so I would argue they have a similar role, but I think PSV has more resources.

Sure, you can only put the two teams on the pitch to make the conclusions, but I think it has to have a bit of an asterisk.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
More than anything, PSV was much more dominant in Holland and in Europe. And playing constantly good football.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
More than anything, PSV was much more dominant in Holland and in Europe. And playing constantly good football.
I completely agree. Though, I think you've also got more players who are experienced in both on PSV. Makes sense that a manager who has a decent amount of more experience in Europe, with a bigger budget would be able to build a side that is better there.

I've been clear in saying that Slot is a risk. There's some significant questions and his ability to move up a massive level.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, I have said it multiple time the issue I have with Slot has nothing to do with him but the fact he only managed in the Eredivisie. It's a huge jump.

Xabi Alonso would have been by far the preferred choice from LFC supporters but it is not happening, which is a huge blow. He is the closest to Klopp and also an LFC legendary player. Not much experience, but his current track record in such a short time is at Guardiola level.

Other than that all other managers are a risk but I would have loved to try with Amorim, I have watched a lot of sporting lisbon lately and they are so aggressive offensively and fun to watch.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Watford FC is delighted to confirm the permanent appointment of Tom Cleverley as the Hornets’ Head Coach.

Since taking the role on an interim basis last month, the 34-year-old has guided the team through a run of seven Sky Bet Championship fixtures – five of which against teams in the league’s top seven.

The Hornets have lost just once during that period, keeping four clean sheets on the way to five draws and one win.

Having retired from playing through injury last summer, Cleverley made his first move into coaching with the Watford FC Academy in July, guiding the Under-18s to second place in the Professional Development League table – as well as two cup semi-finals – prior to taking up the first-team Interim Head Coach position in March.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yes, I have said it multiple time the issue I have with Slot has nothing to do with him but the fact he only managed in the Eredivisie. It's a huge jump.

Xabi Alonso would have been by far the preferred choice from LFC supporters but it is not happening, which is a huge blow. He is the closest to Klopp and also an LFC legendary player. Not much experience, but his current track record in such a short time is at Guardiola level.

Other than that all other managers are a risk but I would have loved to try with Amorim, I have watched a lot of sporting lisbon lately and they are so aggressive offensively and fun to watch.
I don't think they're really close. Klopp has won a ton. Xabi is only getting started. Maybe with a Europa cup to his name, it's a bit more of a discussion, but I don't really know.

I think whomever they get is not what Klopp is when they walked in the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad