Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Posted just because there isn't an open one now.

Here is the last post from the dead thread;

Oceanchild;
Pettersson is obviously not an idiot (and his agent representation are the opposite of idiots). Nobody thinks the Canucks are winning a Cup in probably the next 3-4 years, if ever with this core. They are light years away, the farm will not yield what they need in that timeframe to change that, and it’s a salary cap league.

He is not signing a long term deal next summer. Best bet is you show some improvement and he gives the organization another 3-4 years to get its shit together, and if it hasn’t he can hop in his prime and still go win a Cup.

If we suck again he’s probably gone at first opportunity.
Wondering if you have changed your mind ?

So to start off controversially

Who woud you keep if the team HAS to trade either Pettersson or Hughes?

Last edited:

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Has this new management team made a single pro-scouting / re-signing error yet?

Clear Wins:
Hronek trade
Mikheyev signing
Lafferty trade
Kuzmenko signing / contract extension
DeSmith trade
Di Giuseppe signing / contract extension

Looking Real Gud:
Soucy
Cole
Suter
Boeser contract extension
Blueger (pre-season anyways)
Freidman trade
Hirose & McWard
Kravtsov trade (he is rebuilding his value in the KHL, could maybe spin this into a win down the road)

What an incredible breath of fresh air. Especially when combined with promising amateur scouting and drafting in 2022 and 2023.

Posted just because there isn't an open one now.

Here is the last post from the dead thread;

Oceanchild;

Wondering if you have changed your mind ?

So to start off controversially

Who woud you keep if the team HAS to trade either Pettersson or Hughes?

I would keep Hughes based on his attitude and character. And his play this season has been more impactful to the team's success than Petey.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
My main gripe would be the Boeser contract. The thing is, you could understand perhaps the logic behind it. Say he bounces back and returns to 2017-2019/2021 Boeser and you have a legitimate top line winger and or a massive trade chip. If it doesn’t work out, well then your just going to have to deal with it and maneuver around it. It’s not like you have any other winger who is capable of producing his production anyway regardless if he has regressed or not.

All in all, it was a ballsy re-signing, but the term leaves you with some options, even if they aren’t favourable, it wasn’t going to really handicap us barring a complete and utter regression.

A year and some change later, it’s looking pretty darn respectable.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You shouldn't really count bottom of the roster depth guys like Stillman or Lazar against your GM and/or scouting. Sometimes you just need those guys to fill out the roster, but it's really a case of you get what you pay for. This is an area where Benning's list is going to look pretty identical to Gillis' list which will look the same for any GM if you dig through there history.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Do they overpay for a D if Soucy is out for more than say 6-7 games or keep waiting

Lazar was crap but his contract was so valuable that they were able to easily flip him
Wolanin should be a perfectly serviceable bottom pairing D. Hirose I wouldn't mind getting more of a look, I haven't kept up with Abbotsford but he has a lot of promise IMO.

Our big issue is that Myers is a liability and needs to be babysat and for some reason they wont just give Woo or anybody else a look over Juulsen

Reactions: Brookbank

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
You shouldn't really count bottom of the roster depth guys like Stillman or Lazar against your GM and/or scouting. Sometimes you just need those guys to fill out the roster, but it's really a case of you get what you pay for. This is an area where Benning's list is going to look pretty identical to Gillis' list which will look the same for any GM if you dig through there history.

I think thats true to a certain extent, but we've also seen it done right.

I know Gillis obviously wasn't perfect, especially at the beginning, but our good teams bottom 6 hovered around good to best in the league.

You look at Nonis and Benning, whew. Lotta bad guys traded for and signed when many other options were available. So many 2nd round picks....

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think thats true to a certain extent, but we've also seen it done right.

I know Gillis obviously wasn't perfect, especially at the beginning, but our good teams bottom 6 hovered around good to best in the league.

You look at Nonis and Benning, whew. Lotta bad guys traded for and signed when many other options were available. So many 2nd round picks....
If you're giving up a 2nd round pick for Linden Vey then that's not a cheap acquisition and you expect something out of the player. I think another good baseline on the Dave Nonis end is I think a 2 year 1.1M per deal for Marc Chouinard.

I'm more looking at the Brad Isbister, Zac Dalpe, Jayson Megna, Vitali Kravtsov, etc category of player here - bottom depth that cost practically nothing.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
If you're giving up a 2nd round pick for Linden Vey then that's not a cheap acquisition and you expect something out of the player. I think another good baseline on the Dave Nonis end is I think a 2 year 1.1M per deal for Marc Chouinard.

I'm more looking at the Brad Isbister, Zac Dalpe, Jayson Megna, Vitali Kravtsov, etc category of player here - bottom depth that cost practically nothing.
When it comes to Nonis my mind goes to Smolinski, Carney, Weiroch, McCarthy etc etc.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
2nd for Mika Noronen.

That was a weird one. I think they wanted to go forward with an Auld/Noronen tandem, as Noronen was the odd man out in Buffalo with Miller coming into his own, but then the Luongo deal presented itself and Noronen decided to go to Russia instead of playing 4 games a year behind Luongo.

IIRC, Nonis and Crawford also didn't always seem on the same page when it came to goaltending. They brought in Noronen because Auld was being run into the ground after Cloutier got hurt, but Crawford just kept riding Auld.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Kuzmenko and Mikheyev stand out to me as excellent scouting/signings.

They also sold high on Horvat.

I wasn't ecstatic about the Hronek trade when it happened but he's showing what he's capable of offensively this season and it's pretty damn good.

I think given what Benning left us to work with, they've done an excellent job.

The Pettersson contract will be their biggest test yet. Also interested in seeing how much they end up giving Hronek.

Reactions: oceanchild

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
That was a weird one. I think they wanted to go forward with an Auld/Noronen tandem, as Noronen was the odd man out in Buffalo with Miller coming into his own, but then the Luongo deal presented itself and Noronen decided to go to Russia instead of playing 4 games a year behind Luongo.

IIRC, Nonis and Crawford also didn't always seem on the same page when it came to goaltending. They brought in Noronen because Auld was being run into the ground after Cloutier got hurt, but Crawford just kept riding Auld.

That whole situation with the Canucks getting Luongo was like a perfect storm.

I still remember Nonis almost immediately blurting out Luongo's name when asked on After Hours if there was one player he could trade for, who would it be.

Then you have Keenan dicking Luongo around when he was in Florida, which led to a fraying in relationship between Luongo and management.

And of course, Keenan loved his cavemen players, so shipping out Bertuzzi (who should've been seen as a net negative asset) became incredibly easy for Nonis to do.

Then Crawford gets fired and the tricky situation of the Canucks being stuck with Cloutier/Luongo becomes a non-issue because of Crawford's undying love and affection for French Goalie.

Nonis' tenure as GM was pretty average, but he did bring us Anson Carter, Willie Mitchell, Taylor Pyatt and, of course, the best 4th line C in the league: Tommi Santala.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

I still remember Nonis almost immediately blurting out Luongo's name when asked on After Hours if there was one player he could trade for, who would it be.

Then you have Keenan dicking Luongo around when he was in Florida, which led to a fraying in relationship between Luongo and management.

And of course, Keenan loved his cavemen players, so shipping out Bertuzzi (who should've been seen as a net negative asset) became incredibly easy for Nonis to do.

Then Crawford gets fired and the tricky situation of the Canucks being stuck with Cloutier/Luongo becomes a non-issue because of Crawford's undying love and affection for French Goalie.

Nonis' tenure as GM was pretty average, but he did bring us Anson Carter, Willie Mitchell, Taylor Pyatt and, of course, the best 4th line C in the league: Tommi Santala.

Huh? Lol. It was a good trade for us as we should not have been able to get Luongo, but calling Bertuzzi a negative asset is laughable.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Huh? Lol. It was a good trade for us as we should not have been able to get Luongo, but calling Bertuzzi a negative asset is laughable.

The combination of back issues (he had to get surgery in the 05-06 off-season EDIT: sorry, going into the 2006 season, mb), media attention from the Moore incident and entering into year one of a big ass contract where he was underperforming were all considerations back then. A lot of folks figured we were gonna be stuck with him and would have had to trade either Naslund or the Sedins.

I still can't believe Nonis was able to rid the Canucks of Bertuzzi AND Cloutier without paying through the nose for them.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

To be fair, Nonis believed in building from the net out and did draft Schneider. He’s definitely not a good GM otherwise.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad