NJ
Hextall is doing what the new owners want
This should answer this question...
Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 1.14.47 PM.png

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think they will.

The only way that the Rangers will find success if NOT signing UFA's.

The Sather years were the worst for that and ultimately led them to a re-build.

When every vet basically throws themselves at the Rangers, even with the cap where they can't pay like they used to, you almost can't resist.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
When Kris Letang gets double the term he should because term doesn't matter for this group in this stage of the compete window but you refuse one extra year to a franchise great that still quite obviously has plenty left in the tank to justify a 6M cap hit, Malkin is leaving because you didn't want him here anymore. Simple as. If you are fine with disrespecting a franchise legend or think he isn't good enough anymore thats one thing. But the folks that want to twist this into Malkin choosing to leave are being disingenuous and quite frankly, cowardly. Have the courage of your convictions. Dont hide behind excuses like "oh its actually him choosing to move on". Say you want to move on with your chest. I can at least respect that even if its wrong.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Do you really think if that was true he would still be an employee?
One more with details:

I don't doubt it for a minute. Not everybody comes in with a long term plan that they have written out. Besides, maybe he was expecting Burke to do it.

Ultimately he did do it, right, just that it wasn't his first reaction "oh, let me put that together for you".

Reactions: Wings4Life

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I imagine fans care far more about a player's 'legacy' than the player themselves does.

But I'd love to see him in Philly. That would be gold.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
When Kris Letang gets double the term he should because term doesn't matter for this group in this stage of the compete window but you refuse one extra year to a franchise great that still quite obviously has plenty left in the tank to justify a 6M cap hit, Malkin is leaving because you didn't want him here anymore. Simple as. If you are fine with disrespecting a franchise legend or think he isn't good enough anymore thats one thing. But the folks that want to twist this into Malkin choosing to leave are being disingenuous and quite frankly, cowardly. Have the courage of your convictions. Dont hide behind excuses like "oh its actually him choosing to move on". Say you want to move on with your chest. I can at least respect that even if its wrong.
A few things:

(1) Letang didn't get double the term he should have, but I can see it being 2 years too long. So by that standard (1.5 times appropriate contract length) Geno should be offered a 3 year contract, and he was. Not initially of course, just like Letang wasn't offered 6 years initially. So, same standards remain in place for both.
(2) I can just as easily accuse those saying this is disrespecting a franchise legend as manufacturing that narrative. We don't know how the negotiations actually occurred.
(3) Malkin may well want to leave, maybe he was on the fence about it but the offers pushed him over. But, it's just as fair to state he wanted to leave as it is to state that he was disrespected. Neither have any basis in observed events, just speculation.

And finally, the whole calling people cowards who have a perception which is different than yours reads very much like the emotional response of a 6 year old who just had a toy he hasn't touched in months taken from him. You didn't know how much you loved it until it was taken away. Take a f***in breathe my dude.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Caps make sense. Would be a great fit for both. Malkin gets to stay in the same division, has some Russian friends to help adjust, will have a desire to prove the pens wrong, etc. Caps get a superstar. With all due respect to Backstrom, he's not close to Malkin. Win win for both.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Malkin to Washington 4 years/6.25 AAV

Retires same year Ovechkin does.

He will sign in Pittsburgh for that amount.

My guess he has got some insight from some teams that they are willing to pay him a higher AAV for a couple years. I could maybe even see someone like Colorado offering a one year deal for say 8.5-9.5mil.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Letang is in better shape now than Geno was 5 years ago. So, yeah.

Geno getting offered 4 years is generous. Letang getting offered 6 was generous but about keeping aav down as it was without question known that half the league was ready to go 4 or 5 on him. Would be cool if Geno went 4-5 years with a low aav but by all indications they want both higher aav and higher term. Just tough for his situation. The 2 players are not alike.

I also really hope that for Geno's sake he realizes whatever team throws him a ton of money isn't going to have a Crosby to be sheltered behind (unless it's CO) and will expect him to play as a 7-8M guy for the length of that deal....and that their fanbase doesn't have a decade and a half of fun loving loyalty to rest on WHEN he gets hurt and WHEN he makes a stupid play/penalty. Grass isn't always greener.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Malkin (3x$7.25m) + Burns @ 50% to Dallas would be hilarious (and cap wise might actually work?). Give us all the 35+ players at this point

Is Burns at 50% to Dallas an actual rumor? I've seen a few people posting about it but haven't actually seen any sources.

Depending on what Robertson and Oettinger get they might be able to squeeze that all in if Khudobin is moved

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don’t think he ever played a winger
Michel Therrien used Malkin as a winger very early in his career. Crosby-Malkin on the same line, and also a little bit of Jordan Staal with Malkin. They tried both Staal and Malkin on the wing in those days.

He is a MUCH better center, unsurprisingly.

Reactions: Wings4Life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad