Malkin VS Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
This surely has been done before, but more and more people keep praising Malkin as an equal to Ovechkin, and in some posts stated that he should be a 9.5. In the long run, do you see him as a better player? IMO definitely, because he is a natural center, a more important position than LW, and has the size (6'4) to be simply dominant. AO was the surefire #1 pick in his draft, but I think its because he almost made the cut for the previous draft, while Malkin made quite a comming out party in the last 2 years, and seems to be developping at a higher pace than AO. I see Malkin as the next Thornton, maybe a better playmaker earlier in his career.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
freakazoid said:
This surely has been done before, but more and more people keep praising Malkin as an equal to Ovechkin, and in some posts stated that he should be a 9.5. In the long run, do you see him as a better player? IMO definitely, because he is a natural center, a more important position than LW, and has the size (6'4) to be simply dominant. AO was the surefire #1 pick in his draft, but I think its because he almost made the cut for the previous draft, while Malkin made quite a comming out party in the last 2 years, and seems to be developping at a higher pace than AO. I see Malkin as the next Thornton, maybe a better playmaker earlier in his career.

I agree with everything you say

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You echo the comments of alot of people on these boards when Ovechkin and Malkin went 1-2 in the draft. There was, and remains the school of thought that, while Ovechkin is better *now*, Malkin would end up a better (or more valuable) player in the long run. That could very well be.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
None can deny that Ovechkin is the better player right now. In the future, who knows, anything could happen. But I see no indication that Ovechkin won't continue to improve just as much as Malkin will.

I don't give much credence to the whole "Malkin is a year younger" train of thought. I also don't think Malkin will be a better player because he's a center. The notion that centers (playmakers) are more important than wingers (goalscorers) is nice in theory, but in reality I don't really buy it.

So give me Ovechkin now and in the future. But as another Penguin's fan said (I forget who), if when all is said and done, Malkin ends up the second best player from this draft only behind Ovechkin, I'll be very happy.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Malkin is the type of player that takes a while to fully develop - he hasn't even grown into his body yet. His upside is unreal.
What impresses me the most is his skating ability. He's a big guy with fantastic hands and vision but can also fly. Off hand, I can't think of any similar- like players with that combination (Thornton? Sundin? Spezzza? - maybe Lecavalier).

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Its a debate that belongs elsewhere, but just to note that recent cup winners were led by a dominant center (or two) except for NJ who relies on its D and Marty. Lecavalier/Richards, Sakic/Forsberg, Modano etc. On the other hand, not many of those were led by a winger, even though the league has a fair amount of top notch wingers.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
But Malkin is better than Thornton, maybe more of a Kovalchuk. I think people are just excited about Malkin's progress... Ovechkin hasn't progressed 'cause he's already there, a finished project, better than most NHLers. I think Ovechkin>Malkin, no question.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
BobMarleyNYR said:
I think people are just excited about Malkin's progress... Ovechkin hasn't progressed 'cause he's already there, a finished project, better than most NHLers. I think Ovechkin>Malkin, no question.
Agree.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
BobMarleyNYR said:
But Malkin is better than Thornton, maybe more of a Kovalchuk. I think people are just excited about Malkin's progress... Ovechkin hasn't progressed 'cause he's already there, a finished project, better than most NHLers. I think Ovechkin>Malkin, no question.
AO is a better player because of the type that he is. Malkin is huge and will take more time to develop. What he has over AO is size and vision, which are very important aspects in a players game. I don't see the reason behind your comparison to Ilya. Malkin is first and foremost a playmaker, with some sick explosiveness of his own, but not Ilya material. Plus he plays defence and thinks pass first. When he fills out his frame, add dominant physical player to his repertoir, because he has the mind to be one right now, just not the muscle

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Ovechkin.

There aren't really the holes in his game to weigh against EM's strengths. IMO, a great debate would be Kovalchuck vs. Malkin. Polar opposites. Or Crosby vs. Malkin. I've said before I'd take Malkin over S.Crosby.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Ovechkin no doubt ! Give him 2-3 years and AO will dominate the NHL !

What i like abou Malkin is hes skating ability , just unreal :eek: I think Malkin is the better skater overall and Ovechkin the better player overall...............time will tell

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
freakazoid said:
AO is a better player because of the type that he is. Malkin is huge and will take more time to develop. What he has over AO is size and vision, which are very important aspects in a players game. I don't see the reason behind your comparison to Ilya. Malkin is first and foremost a playmaker, with some sick explosiveness of his own, but not Ilya material. Plus he plays defence and thinks pass first. When he fills out his frame, add dominant physical player to his repertoir, because he has the mind to be one right now, just not the muscle

The comparison is bad because I've only seen Malkin once, although I really follow Euro hockey. :blush: That's why I said "maybe Kovalchuk." Maybe a more advanced Michalek is a better comparison. I still think Ovechkin is better than all but two or three NHLers. I also think the argument about positions will be a moot point soon because I can't see the Caps resisting Semin-Ovechkin-Fehr.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
BobMarleyNYR said:
The comparison is bad because I've only seen Malkin once, although I really follow Euro hockey. :blush: That's why I said "maybe Kovalchuk." Maybe a more advanced Michalek is a better comparison. I still think Ovechkin is better than all but two or three NHLers. I also think the argument about positions will be a moot point soon because I can't see the Caps resisting Semin-Ovechkin-Fehr.
I don't think they will throw everything on one line, plus AO is much better off left where he is, and Semin will head a 2nd line since both don't really need someone to pass to them in order to score. Semin is a flying bullet, probably the fastest skater in the world right now.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
EroCaps said:
Ovechkin.

There aren't really the holes in his game to weigh against EM's strengths. IMO, a great debate would be Kovalchuck vs. Malkin. Polar opposites. Or Crosby vs. Malkin. I've said before I'd take Malkin over S.Crosby.
I'd still take my chances with Crosby. He can own this league for a long time. Malkin/AO/Ilya are top notch future superstars, but they are JUST superstars, Crosby will be the Shaq of the NHL. Games will revolve around him if he lives up to the hype.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
both great players! but in the end the best, will be the one that brings his team more cups! and it will be great to see them both play and see this malkin vs. ovechkin thread again and again for years to come :)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Til the End of Time said:
I don't give much credence to the whole "Malkin is a year younger" train of thought. I also don't think Malkin will be a better player because he's a center. The notion that centers (playmakers) are more important than wingers (goalscorers) is nice in theory, but in reality I don't really buy it.

Centers are absolutely more important than wingers.

Steve Latin*

SportBoy said:
I see Malkin more like a Sundin than a Thornton.
Ditto that, although I doubt Malkin will ever reach Sundin's weight. When he's fully grown he'll probably be Lecavalier's size, so comparisons to him will be inevitable.

I must say though, there are times when Malkin reminds me of Lemieux with his smooth, intelligent passing. If he turns out to be half as good, I'll be ecstatic!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
freakazoid said:
I'd still take my chances with Crosby. He can own this league for a long time. Malkin/AO/Ilya are top notch future superstars, but they are JUST superstars, Crosby will be the Shaq of the NHL. Games will revolve around him if he lives up to the hype.

There is no way Crosby can ever be compared to Shaq. A fundamental aspect of Shaq's game is his ability to dominate with his unrivaled size and strength. The only comparable to Shaq in hockey would be Eric Lindros 10 years ago. For basketball players Crosby is probably comparable to Allen Iverson.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
freakazoid said:

The hype surrounding Crosby has officially hit ludicrous proportions. The Shaq of the NHL? I don't think so......... :biglaugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
Centers are absolutely more important than wingers.

Damn it, I do not like agreeing with you . . .stop that . . . ;)

But I will add, top centers are rarer commodities as well, the drop off between a top center and the next tier of centers is much greater than the drop off between a top winger and the next tier of wingers.

To prove my point, try to think of the top centers in the game today or top center prospects . . . now do the same with the top wingers. Much bigger winger pool of talent comes to mind, doesn't it? Nearly every team has at least one sniper winger. Top centers though are much harder to come by commodities.

Skylab

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatoon
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
But Malkin is better than Thornton

IMO that statement is ridiculous and simply indicative of the pro-prospect kool-aid that people drink before posting on HF.
The kid looks promising and seems to have a great future in front of him, but lets acutally let him play in the league before we start making comparisons like this one.
We need to remember that Joe has surpassed 100 points and at 25 is one of the top young stars in the game. Malkin may get there; then again he may not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad