Malkin vs Olesz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
First time poster here, so sorry for any screw ups. Looking for thoughts between Olesz and Malkin. Is there a huge drop off in talent? Is Olesz that far behind? Who do you think will get more points down the road - or will they be fairly even. Strictly rating on points here. (Taking into consideration who they play for, linemates, pure talent, etc) Thanks.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Chuckalinsky said:
First time poster here, so sorry for any screw ups. Looking for thoughts between Olesz and Malkin. Is there a huge drop off in talent? Is Olesz that far behind? Who do you think will get more points down the road - or will they be fairly even. Strictly rating on points here. (Taking into consideration who they play for, linemates, pure talent, etc) Thanks.

Theres not a big drop off, but a considerable one - Malkin being the better player. Malkin should get more points down the road.

leafaholix*

Alex Kovalev said:
Theres not a big drop off, but a considerable one - Malkin being the better player. Malkin should get more points down the road.
I don't think he's going to put up more point then Olesz, but he'll definately be a more impact player. With his size and strength.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Til the End of Time said:
I don't think Malkin / Lindros comparison is accurate... I would say he's more like Pierre Turgeon.

Malkin=Malkin

That is good enough for me.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
I agree with the idea that Malkin equals Malkin. You can't compare him or Olesz with anyone at this point until they make the NHL and show their stuff.

Olesz has his question marks and Malkin is to slim to say he is a Lindros type. He also he plays a different style of game. I don't know, I think he (malkin) is just a brilliant young center with speed size and skill and that he will likely develope into a speedy european styled center with a little bite and that Olesz will do the same if he can develope a bit more grit and consistency.

leafaholix*

In terms of style, I've heard Malkin being compared to Brendan Shanahan,

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
In terms of style Malkin plays a Lemieux-esque style of play.

That's where the comparisons end, he is not the next Lemieux by any means of the word, but his style is close from what I've heard.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
In terms of style, I've heard Malkin being compared to Brendan Shanahan,

*Shanahan shoots right, Malkin shoots left.

*Malkin's a centre, Shanahan's a RW.

*Shanahan is grit, Malkin is finesse.

Whoever gave you that comparison, failed miserably.

leafaholix*

monster_bertuzzi said:
*Shanahan shoots right, Malkin shoots left.

*Malkin's a centre, Shanahan's a RW.

*Shanahan is grit, Malkin is finesse.

Whoever gave you that comparison, failed miserably.
Nobody gave it to me... I read it somewhere.

Don't remember where though.

But the Glazachev/Shanahan comparison also sounds familiar.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
punchy1 said:
I agree with the idea that Malkin equals Malkin. You can't compare him or Olesz with anyone at this point until they make the NHL and show their stuff.

Olesz has his question marks and Malkin is to slim to say he is a Lindros type. He also he plays a different style of game. I don't know, I think he (malkin) is just a brilliant young center with speed size and skill and that he will likely develope into a speedy european styled center with a little bite and that Olesz will do the same if he can develope a bit more grit and consistency.

Hmmm Olesz does have grit, Im not sure about the consistency. Olesz can be best compared to Nolan with better wheels.
Malkin is more like Viktor Kozlov, with better physical play and better work ethic. That is a good thing, he maybe can be the Kozlov that actually turn out to be what he suppose to be when he got drafted.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
In this weeks issue of THN, it has a little piece at the bottom of the pittsburgh team article about how Olesz reminds them and has the same "look in his eyes" as Jagr did when he was drafted.

Take it for what it's worth. Personally, i take the better player, no matter how his eyes look.

Safir*

Just speculating:

Malkin = Yashin?
Malkin = Zhamnov?
Malkin = Fedorov?

Do I get any close? :dunno:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I still don't see that much of a gap between these two. And judging from McKeen's report, they don't either. The alleged 'considerable gap' seems to have arisen more on this board than on the ice or in the actual scouting community. Moreover, they BOTH had serious concussions but seem fully recovered.
Nonetheless, I'd still say Malkin is #2 mostly due to age gap. But Olesz is more NHL right now.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
steblick said:
I still don't see that much of a gap between these two. And judging from McKeen's report, they don't either. The alleged 'considerable gap' seems to have arisen more on this board than on the ice or in the actual scouting community. Moreover, they BOTH had serious concussions but seem fully recovered.
Nonetheless, I'd still say Malkin is #2 mostly due to age gap. But Olesz is more NHL right now.

Well,MCkeen's is only 1 source.........obviously Redline now thinks the "gap" is ver large indeed as they now have Malkin at #2 overall but Olesz slipping to #6 (BARKER,RADULOV and TUKONEN in that order ahead of OLESZ......so there is no consensus....

PLUS on the NHL.com website there was an article on some of the potential top picks and it stated that Olesz had slipped in some scouts rankings because they felt his 2002/03 season was better than this past season.......clearly he did not show as much progress as younger prospects Malkin Radulov and Tukonen had shown to some scouts...we shall wait for Central Scouting Final ranking's to see where they rank these 4 euro forwards in the final euro rankings (we'll see if Barker moves up to #1 in the NA rankings or if Chipchura still holds on to it ,or if Ladd or Picard move up)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad