Malkin Vs Kessel Vs Frolik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is one of those apples and oranges comparisons even further off than the comparisons of AO and Malkin last year because of where each is in terms of development. Not to take anything away from Kessel or Frolik but Malkin is dominating at an entirely different level than either of those two. The upside of either might arguably be as much but they have to prove themselves at a higher level before such comparisons become relevant in any ways. Malkin made that jump this year . . . .and will have to do so all over again next year . . . to prove that he is in the same league with AO. I would always rather have the player who has already proven himself at the higher level to a player of similar upside who has not.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AnThGrt said:
I think i'll be alone on this but my opinion:
1. Frolik
2. Malkin
3. Kessel

Care to elaborate? I, and several other posters have asked for you to expound on why you like Frolik so much but you've declined to do so. I'm curious why.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Personally...

1. Malkin
2. Kessel
3. Frolik

All are close. Keep in mind, I'm in the very vast minority who feels Malkin will end up being better than Crosby & Ovechkin.

Last edited:

BHLCommish

Apr 9, 2004
Not sure what the big deal about Frolik is, seems to me most people that rank him so highly go off that one WJs where he was 16 and Pierre Maguire was having multiple orgasms over him.

People seem to forget or not to note the U-18s when Kessel totally dominated the tournament, and Frolik.

1.Kessel
1A.Malkin

2.Frolik

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BHLCommish said:
Not sure what the big deal about Frolik is, seems to me most people that rank him so highly go off that one WJs where he was 16 and Pierre Maguire was having multiple orgasms over him.

People seem to forget or not to note the U-18s when Kessel totally dominated the tournament, and Frolik.

1.Kessel
1A.Malkin

2.Frolik

McKeen's had an interesting comment when it came to comparing Kessel and Frolik. It said that Frolik has the best "sixth sense" in the draft (i.e. hockey sense) but isn't the game-breaker Kessel is. That game-breaking ability is what IMO will put Kessel ahead of Frolik at the time of the draft. It's very possible Frolik will be a better all-around player than Kessel, but IMO he won't be as exciting or explosive. Pick your poison I suppose.

espo*

i just wish i could see these kids more so i'd have a better handle on them to make judgements about.I liked what i've seen from all three of them when i've seen them but Kessel plays in the ncaa,Frolik over in the Czech league somewhere and Malkin in Russia.I can rarely see them play at all and it's a downer really.

From what i've seen................Malkin:Silky smooth,skating stride is effortless,sees the ice really well and should have no problem scoring lot's of goals with those hands and shot.Reminds me of Jean Beliveau from what i've seen of him on old film.

Kessel: well,it's hard getting past the guys wheels,he just motors out there like a porsche,has a great shot and get's it off super fast.Knows where to go to get into shooting position in the offensive zone too when he does'nt have the puck.To me he's a combo of Hull(getting into the goal scoring spots and letting it go) and Kovalchuk(attacking with the puck with his wheels and stickhandling) Nice combo if you ask me,can a g.m pass on that this coming draft?

Frolik: Nice all around player who does seem to have real good hockey sense as was noted here.Very adept stick-handler with good wheels.He made the
Czech junior team at 16 and played well..........what does that tell us?

But honestly,i and i suspect most here only get to reguarly see one of them play on a consistent basis.....................it would be very difficult for any of us to make a final call on limited viewing i think.Posters here from the U.S likely only get to see Kessel a lot,Russian posters only get to see Malkin all the time,same for Frolik with Czechs.

Probably not one of us can make a good call and name someone with confidence.

The three of them are darn good players though..................i don't need to have seen them 100 times to see that.That's all i'll say here.

espo*

Tjardus Greidanus said:
Personally...

1. Malkin
2. Kessel
3. Frolik

All are close. Keep in mind, I'm in the very vast majority who feels Malkin will end up being better than Crosby & Ovechkin.
You mean vast minority right? I have'nt seen many who think Malkin will end up being better then Crosby or A.O. I sure have'nt seen it on these boards.

neophool*

nneate said:
1. Apple
2. Orange
3. Banana

you've got to be kidding me. Orange is WAYY better then Apple. Apple is on a much better team and benefits from strong linemates.

That's the only reason he looks better. That and all his goals are tap-ins.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Rabid Ranger said:
Care to elaborate? I, and several other posters have asked for you to expound on why you like Frolik so much but you've declined to do so. I'm curious why.
It's like the Crosby Ovechkin comparison some people just like one more and thats how i feel. I just find Frolik to be the better player after having seen both a few times. Most will agree when i say Frolik is the better player all around and its just my personal preference to have that player before the goal scoring machine. When it comes down to it i just like what i see in Frolik more and believe he has a lot higher potential then Kessel (I do believe Kessel may be a little better now but i believe Frolik will be the better player)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Tjardus Greidanus said:
Personally...

1. Malkin
2. Kessel
3. Frolik

All are close. Keep in mind, I'm in the very vast majority who feels Malkin will end up being better than Crosby & Ovechkin.

I hope that "vast majority" comment was littered with sarcasm.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
cyclops said:
You mean vast minority right? I have'nt seen many who think Malkin will end up being better then Crosby or A.O. I sure have'nt seen it on these boards.

errr...duh...yeah.

I hate thinking something and typing the complete opposite. I know the difference between minority & majority...my fingers, however, do not. :innocent:

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
nneate said:
1. Apple
2. Orange
3. Banana

I have to disagree. Banana, I feel, will end up being one of the best players NHL have seen in decades. His upside is huge! I just hope his team won't hurry him and let him develop before trying him in the NHL.

1. Banana

2. Apple
3. Orange

Transported Upstater

neophool said:
you've got to be kidding me. Orange is WAYY better then Apple. Apple is on a much better team and benefits from strong linemates.

That's the only reason he looks better. That and all his goals are tap-ins.

Word.

espo*

Tjardus Greidanus said:
errr...duh...yeah.

I hate thinking something and typing the complete opposite. I know the difference between minority & majority...my fingers, however, do not. :innocent:
LOL,i do it all the time and i'll likely do it again.It's easy to get stuff mixed up in here.My favourite is piping up the offensiive abilities of Dion Phaneuf to a poster who had really been downplaying Robin Regeher's offensive upside and i had'nt realised it.Here i was waxing poetically about Dion and the poster must have been thinking i was losing my mind talking so glowingly about
Regehr's offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad