Confirmed with Link: Malkin re-signs to a 4 year, $6.1 million AAV deal (Eklund called it, start singing his praises)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
People can believe whatever they want if it makes them feel better I suppose.

If some of you want to tell yourselves Malkin really stuck it to Hextall and made him "sweat" by threatening to go to FA, cool.

It's not even close to reality, but it seems some of you need to believe Malkin got back at Hextall I guess.

Burke and Hextall told you exactly how they prioritized Malkin. Believe them.

Again, if you are a big Malkin fan, send Crosby your TY cards.
I don’t think he was making him sweat, you’re responding to a notion hardly anyone here put forward. I think he was upset by how negotiations were going and was trying a last ditch effort to get the best deal, but nobody really knows.

I don’t give a shit how Burke and Hextall prioritized Malkin, they of one Cup some time ago and zero reputation for elite management honestly. Him being here was the best outcome for making this team better while Crosby is elite still.

They both made their moves during negotiations and a deal got done. This shit talking about who had the upper hand and “Hextall doesn’t think much of Malkin and was placating Crosby” is garbage. You have zero inside information on what Hextall was thinking. Really gross to turn what was a nice thread into a shitfest.

Reactions: vodeni

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's hilarious how people choose to interpret things. Oftentimes predicated on one word choice or whatever. Though I suppose that's the internet for you. People really hone in on some weird stuff that sticks in their craw.

Like... when I say "he figured he'd let them sweat it out for a night" do you really think I'm sitting here envisioning Ron Hextall quaking in his boots scared shitless? Really? Or do you think I simply mean as a turn of phrase "Malkin figured he'd let them sweat it out for a night?" I know the team was lukewarm on bringing him back, I know that Malkin was simply trying to prove some point that didn't have any REAL teeth and I know that some of you clods are awfully miserable even by my standards... but you sure aren't actually telling me anything new despite what you might think.

So ya know... to borrow a favorite phrase "Best of luck in your future endeavors."

Last edited:

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My take on it....
Malkin was just pissed at Hextall for the constant different red lines. First 2x$5M, then 3x6M, then "maybe we can do 4 years, 48 hours before free agency :\.

I bet Malkin got emotional and said "f*ck it", I'm trying FA. Hexy was likely focused on all the other moving parts, and de-prioritized Malkin. Probably said "well Malkin has made his decision" and dealt with Rackell, which actually wasn't the bad approach.

Then likely a 3rd person (Crosby? Burke? Mario? New ownership?) just probably talked them both back to the table.

I doubt there was much back and forth next...
Hexy probably just said, we want to make you happy, and give you 4 years at the same cap hit as Letang.

Malkin said...yeah!

Remember, I'm sure Malkin also has his ear filled by his wife who believes that he should/could be #1 on another team. 100% true in the past. Today...probably not on a real playoff team.

Everything above...pure speculation!

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don’t think he was making him sweat, you’re responding to a notion hardly anyone here put forward. I think he was upset by how negotiations were going and was trying a last ditch effort to get the best deal, but nobody really knows.

I don’t give a shit how Burke and Hextall prioritized Malkin, they of one Cup some time ago and zero reputation for elite management honestly. Him being here was the best outcome for making this team better while Crosby is elite still.

They both made their moves during negotiations and a deal got done. This shit talking about who had the upper hand and “Hextall doesn’t think much of Malkin and was placating Crosby” is garbage. You have zero inside information on what Hextall was thinking. Really gross to turn what was a nice thread into a shitfest.

People rarely liking hearing reality when it upsets them, so they instinctively lash out, much like you are doing.

So whatever narrative you want to create to feel happy is cool by me.

Why some Malkin fans couldn’t just be happy he signed without telling themselves he somehow got Hextall back is kind of sad though.

To each their own.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
People rarely liking hearing reality when it upsets them, so they instinctively lash out, much like you are doing.

So whatever narrative you want to create to feel happy is cool by me.

Why some Malkin fans couldn’t just be happy he signed without telling themselves he somehow got Hextall back is kind of sad though.

To each their own.
I’m not lashing out. I just don’t care to hear more speculation from people who have no inside information, yet it is spoken like truth. I’m in the same boat just speculating.

I don’t think Malkin got Hextall back or any bullshit like that. He’s emotional. Probably let off some steam and then came back to the table and signed.

This whole whose dick is bigger debate can miss me. I don’t care. He was objectively the best player at the cheapest price, and also a huge part of our franchise legacy. Win win. When Hextall shows consistent elite management that leads to winning the whole thing, I’ll put more stock in his valuations as well. Right now he’s an ok/good GM with some good signings this year and inconsistent moves mixed in. He has one Cup, years ago as an AGM. Let’s cool it with the “ooooh, he doesn’t see Malkin as a high priority.” So the f*** what?

I don’t dislike Hextall or Burke, but they are small potatoes compared to what Malkin has meant and still means to this team and it’s future.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m not lashing out. I just don’t care to hear more speculation from people who have no inside information, yet it is spoken like truth. I’m in the same boat just speculating.

I don’t think Malkin got Hextall back or any bullshit like that. He’s emotional. Probably let off some steam and then came back to the table and signed.

This whole whose dick is bigger debate can miss me. I don’t care. He was objectively the best player at the cheapest price, and also a huge part of our franchise legacy. Win win. When Hextall shows consistent elite management that leads to winning the whole thing, I’ll put more stock in his valuations as well. Right now he’s an ok/good GM with some good signings this year and inconsistent moves mixed in. He has one Cup, years ago as an AGM. Let’s cool it with the “ooooh, he doesn’t see Malkin as a high priority.” So the f*** what?

I don’t dislike Hextall or Burke, but they are small potatoes compared to what Malkin has meant and still means to this team and it’s future.

Not sure why it has you and a few others all riled up Malkin went emo, Crosby stepped in and settled stuff down and Hextall was indifferent about Malkin.

It’s really bizarre. You don’t know his ass and he honestly doesn’t care about you, or me or anyone here, let’s be honest.

Again, if it makes you feel so much better to believe the narrative you want to create and it makes you happy, you do you.

He’s signed and that’s what should matter to you and others who were all upset he may leave.

Why Malkin had to get back at Hextall is grade school stuff.

Last edited:

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Not sure why it has you and a few others all riled up Malkin went emo, Crosby stepped in and settled stuff down and Hextall was indifferent about Malkin.
It’s really bizarre. You don’t know his ass and he honestly doesn’t care about you, or me or anyone here, let’s be honest.
Again, if it makes you feel so much better to believe the narrative you want to create and it makes you happy, you do you.
He’s signed and that’s what should matter to you and others who were all upset he may leave.
Why Malkin had to get back at Hextall is grade school stuff.
If Hextall was indifferent about Malkin he's a f***ing moron bozo. That's all there is to say about that.

Your entire post is a created narrative dude. Ron Hextall has a completely average and inconsistent career as a manager and his lone Cup was as an AGM 10 years ago. He has been here two years and probably won't be here for that long. Malkin has three Cups, has been a generational franchise superstar his entire 16-year career here, and will go down in NHL history as a top 25 player all time. I could give two f***s what Hextall is or is not indifferent about. Please take your 'Hextall is a bad mofo who is cold as ice' narrative elsewhere, I do not care.

He has had a good summer of smart signings and hopefully he continues to get better as a GM. We will certainly need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I’m a Malkin fan. I don’t believe he got any upper hand in the signing.

I do think Hextall almost f*cked it up, whether intentionally or through indifference, to not get Malkin signed for $6M.

Ignoring fandom and what he did for the team, etc etc…
I don’t think there was a better way to use $6M, which some of you likely disagree with.

If Malkin said $8M then yeah, Hextall in his full rights should have him walk.

So yeah…
I’m happy with how it turned out!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It worked and I don’t care how it got there. Everyone’s a professional and should act accordingly. If Malkin has some internal tension with Hextall.. who cares. This isn’t a day care, and we’re trying to win not make friends. Sometimes a good GM has to be the bad guy.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It worked and I don’t care how it got there. Everyone’s a professional and should act accordingly. If Malkin has some internal tension with Hextall.. who cares. This isn’t a day care, and we’re trying to win not make friends. Sometimes a good GM has to be the bad guy.
Yup- all parties/sides did their job. Last few pages of this conversation are asinine to be frank.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
People were saying that with how Malkin's contract is structured (signing bonus in the final year) it looks like he won't play that 4th year. I wasn't following then and I'm still not.

Can someone spell it out for me? And no, I'm not being facetious.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
People were saying that with how Malkin's contract is structured (signing bonus in the final year) it looks like he won't play that 4th year. I wasn't following then and I'm still not.

Can someone spell it out for me? And no, I'm not being facetious.
The idea is that he makes so much less in terms of actual salary that year that people assume he's just going to go bug out and retire then. I don't quite get it either. I assume that he'll just be LTIR'd if there's any doubt that he's able to play that last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad