Malkin blade?

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Interesting question. Last year I was asking too, but didn't find the answer

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If its anything like the PM9 he used to be attached to its kind of like Mario's pattern.
3/8" mid heal curve 5.5 lie... going by eye he looks like he uses a deeper curve than that though.

Does anyone know what stiffness Malkin uses?

od71

Apr 8, 2012
If its anything like the PM9 he used to be attached to its kind of like Mario's pattern.
3/8" mid heal curve 5.5 lie... going by eye he looks like he uses a deeper curve than that though.

Does anyone know what stiffness Malkin uses?

No, all I know from his interview he likes to use new sticks, they are stiffer.
PS The way he shoots one-timers it must be stiffer

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have a Malkin PS blade. it reminds me if the old Easton Yzerman (I don't know what Easton calls it now.)

I also know Malkin uses a 100-110 flex

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
For Bauer, Malkin and Stamkos share a blade pattern (at least they are marketed that way online). If you want similar ones...

Warrior: Kopitar
CCM: Couturier
RBK: Duchene
Easton: Cammy/Zetterberg/Shanahan

If Bauer's blade patterns are correct online at all, Geno doesn't use that big of a curve, which I wouldn't have a guessed.

I've been wanting to try a Bauer Kesler blade. I like a steep lie though.

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I was looking at the new composite sticks for 2013 the other day and was saddened to see that hockey manufacturers still have no clue how to develop a user-friendly web site where people can scan and find the information they want right away. Still a cluster-**** of flashy animations and obscure navigation setups the same as it was early 2000s.... they're stuck in the PAST, maaaan.

Dennis_Hopper_hopper.jpg

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bauer's is pretty good.

What I don't like is that these companies still use old stick patterns, but then don't post the stats anywhere about them.

I also think there's a market for these companies to all people to build their own sticks at a steep premium (say 30-40% extra). I know some college guys I played with that'd be all over it.

For instance, I like a steep lie, a shallow, neutral, mid-heel curve, a medium sized blade, and a square toe. That stick is nowhere to be found.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The best pattern ever was a Warrior Saprykin pro stock that I bought like 7 of and I now have 2 left. It's just a big old banana curve.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
When I played, I played on multiple teams with multiple positions, so I was never able to use a specialized blade (like a big banana curve). I wasn't about to buy a half dozen sticks to play either.

If I played for 1 team, and I was just a winger who shot pucks...I'd be all over it though.

I worked in pro shops and stuff through college, and I loved all these little kids coming in getting that "crazy ovi" blade from Warrior. Backhands will be a lost art with kids now with these companies marketing blades 3 times over the legal curve.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The funny thing is, the curve was never the biggest importance to me. It took me until my junior year of high school when I was in a hockey camp to realize that the lie was the most important part for me. I take shots and stick handle close to my body, and I don't lean over as much as a lot of players.

Another thing I like is that Bauer is offering a flex in the mid-90's. It used to be 85, then 100. I was always too heavy for an 85 even after cutting some off the end, and I was never able to torque a 100 (which ended up being a 120 or so after cutting it) as fast as I could otherwise do it with a mid-90 flex stick.

I don't think any other company has started offering a 95 flex stick yet.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
You guys complaining about stats on patterns aren't looking hard enough. All of them are listed on Hockey Monkey.

Bauer-Blade-Chart.jpg

And Malkins pattern isn't close to his (former) retail pattern. He's currently in a longer blade with a slight toe kink. He is constantly changing his curve ever so slightly, every so often. Flex is around 110/115.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There's no standardized comprehensive list of stick blades.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You guys complaining about stats on patterns aren't looking hard enough. All of them are listed on Hockey Monkey.

Bauer-Blade-Chart.jpg

And Malkins pattern isn't close to his (former) retail pattern. He's currently in a longer blade with a slight toe kink. He is constantly changing his curve ever so slightly, every so often. Flex is around 110/115.
Thanks... I've been using a Mako 100 flex and shooting pretty well with it. I have an RS 115 in line after the Mako breaks. I can't wait to get off shots with it.

Sid switched patterns a few years ago. Does anyone know the before and after?

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

Bauer-Blade-Chart.jpg

The hard part is comparing to other manufacturers, especially with pro stock sticks.

Mod Squad Hockey used to have a pretty good curve database (which I cannot find right now unfortunately) but there are still a lot of curves missing.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The funny thing is, the curve was never the biggest importance to me. It took me until my junior year of high school when I was in a hockey camp to realize that the lie was the most important part for me. I take shots and stick handle close to my body, and I don't lean over as much as a lot of players.

Another thing I like is that Bauer is offering a flex in the mid-90's. It used to be 85, then 100. I was always too heavy for an 85 even after cutting some off the end, and I was never able to torque a 100 (which ended up being a 120 or so after cutting it) as fast as I could otherwise do it with a mid-90 flex stick.

I don't think any other company has started offering a 95 flex stick yet.
For me flex is most important. I see guys that have sticks in their arsenal that are 75 - 110 flex and I don't know how they can't tell a difference. I like 70-ish flexes because I end up cutting them down a ton.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
For me flex is most important. I see guys that have sticks in their arsenal that are 75 - 110 flex and I don't know how they can't tell a difference. I like 70-ish flexes because I end up cutting them down a ton.

Yeah, I cut them down too, but I never thought the flexes that Bauer has been putting on their sticks has been accurate. I cut mine down to what Bauer called a 95 flex, and it wasn't 95 flex. I shouldn't be able to flex a 95 the way I was able to with my one90. I personally think it ****s the kickpoints and stuff up when you cut the stick down how I do, but it's probably just in my head. I just don't see how a manufacturer can construct a stick with a kick point at one place in the stick, then you cut 6 inches off and it's in the same spot. I mean, if you want to get technical, my hand is technically where the kick point is supposed to be when I hack it all up, especially now with the Bauer sticks where they are constructing shafts to be stiff in certain places and bend in others.

My next blades, I'm going to start messing around with blade lengths. I've never paid much attention, but I'm curious to see how it differs my shot and stick handling.

I've always been on the lookout for the stick that's best for me. Still can't top my Easton Ultra Lite shaft with a focus flex blade, followed by the Tricore, and then the Sherwood shaft that Sid used his first couple years in the league. I've never found a 1 piece composite that I just absolutely loved. Graf made a pretty good one back in the day that I used for a while, but even then, I didn't love it.

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC
you can go to modsquadhockey.com...along the top bar their is a link called patterndb ... it compiles pics that users have taken of pro stock sticks...its pretty handy to see what kind of curves there are out there...the last pic i saw of a malkin it was a pretty standard toe curve with little to no loft, as compared to a pro ovechkin which has massive loft...as for flex i have heard both crosby and malkin use very stiff flexes...i assume crosby uses it because its easier to make crisp passes with a stiff stick...never really knew the draw of a real whippy stick it makes my one timers way too unpredictable

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad