Making Good Ice in Las Vegas

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

I am sure there are unique challenges in making the ice in either a Las Vegas or Miami climate. :laugh:

Good ice is easier in Vegas than Miami because humidity is a bigger issue. They make ice in Phoenix and LA. Vegas isn't a problem. The technology has existed for decades.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah shouldn't be too much of an issue. I know ice in LA and Anaheim gets wonky in the summer and late spring but it should be fine.

Vegas gets properly cold in the winter months so that'll be fine.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
From what I understand, the exterior heat doesn't mean much since all these places are air conditioned. The issues are keeping the building cool enough during times when there aren't events since it's expensive to cool the place at a normal temperature all the time and keeping the surface itself cool during other events like concerts.

From what I understand, humidity is the major issue with indoor ice and we don't have much of that here unless we're having winter showers. Even then, much less of an issue than most anywhere else.

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
I was watching a hockey game in soccer stadium with close to 30 degrees Celsius in Germany on Saturday and the ice seemed to be fine. I'm sure the LV people will get that done inside. It may not be the world's best ice in the end but good enough not to cause any problems

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From what I understand, the exterior heat doesn't mean much since all these places are air conditioned. The issues are keeping the building cool enough during times when there aren't events since it's expensive to cool the place at a normal temperature all the time and keeping the surface itself cool during other events like concerts.

From what I understand, humidity is the major issue with indoor ice and we don't have much of that here unless we're having winter showers. Even then, much less of an issue than most anywhere else.

Humidity is the biggest issue.... ;)

NHL also requires the arena to be kept at 60-64 degrees once the ice is down. Shouldn't be a problem for T-Mobile's chiller plant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad