Value of: Make your best offer for Auston Matthews

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The problem is it isn't especially likely. This is a thing on HF because trolling Leaf fans is basically the HF mission statement.

In real life there had never been any indication he would leave, he wanted an 8 year deal.

I know it is difficult for HF swallow us having an elite player but it would be more productive to get used to it.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand that if you want to be the top star in the league the biggest market is a good place to be. Only the Rangers would make more sense and they will probably have Eichel so.....probably isn't going anywhere.

Dream on.
You may need a break from this site. The majority of your posts go on and on about a giant leaf hate conspiracy. Yes Matthews wanted an 8 year deal, almost any player would for the reported 13-14 mil he was asking for to get it. Also no one is saying he hates Toronto. But going “home” to play is always a consideration, same as how many time leaf fans claim McDavid, Stamkos, Tavares, Doughty or any other number of Ontario born players would like to come home to play. Sometimes it’s true, sometimes it’s not. But the fact that Matthews was willing to sign an 8 year deal for 14 mil coming off his elc and wouldn’t have had much choice to go elsewhere does not mean he wouldn’t like to play in Arizona or somewhere else when the contract is up.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
upload_2021-8-16_17-34-9.png

this was fun
thanks for reading

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buffalo offers Kyle Okposo 50% retained. Colin Miller, a B prospect, 2022 1st round pick top 3 protected, a 2022 3rd round pick and a conditional 2023 6th rd pick, condition is Mathews must score 60 goals.

Am I doing this right?

MeSorry

Jun 12, 2018
It's still funny to assume he'll go to Arizona, in 2-3 years. It'll be a rebuilding team, " OH BUT HE"ll SELL OUT GAMES AND GO BACK HOME". Yeah? In his prime he'll just wait for kids to build into capable wingers and a D core? Yeah alright boys, Even if they traded all their assets, they may fill a first pairing line with Clayton and get a partner for Jakob. That's a hard reach. If they do draft gold with one of those late round picks it'll still be a reach. If your a young primed center that loves attention, Cali and NY are essentially the go to places if anywhere.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id consider adding Matthews to our team tho our needs are not exactly a regular season high scoring forward as our top target

To Toronto: Horvat (captain), Myers, Dipietro, Juolevi, Gadvovich, 2022 5th round pick

To Vancity: Matthews, 2022 3rd round pick

Then Canucks would ice:

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Hoglander Matthews Garland
Pearson Dickinson Podzoklzin
Motte Sutter Macewan

Rathbone Hamonic
OEL Hughes
Hunt Pool Man

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It's still funny to assume he'll go to Arizona, in 2-3 years. It'll be a rebuilding team, " OH BUT HE"ll SELL OUT GAMES AND GO BACK HOME". Yeah? In his prime he'll just wait for kids to build into capable wingers and a D core? Yeah alright boys, Even if they traded all their assets, they may fill a first pairing line with Clayton and get a partner for Jakob. That's a hard reach. If they do draft gold with one of those late round picks it'll still be a reach. If your a young primed center that loves attention, Cali and NY are essentially the go to places if anywhere.
Does he particularly love attention though? Matthews seems into bringing hockey to Arizona and all that. I say that as someone who doesn’t care about any of the places or teams or people involved (not directly, as a fan, at least).

Matthew does care about being paid, he proved that with his first deal.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Not getting Matthews without him in the deal.

Heiksanen + Robertson + 1st, drop Seguin

Wow, that's way to tilted. Jason Robertson is a poor man's version of Auston Matthews, but he would still be a decent replacement. The kid almost won the calder, and at one point, we 3rd in even strength points, behind McDavid and Panarin. He won the OHL scoring title a couple years ago and led his AHL team in scoring as a rookie. He also is still on his rookie contract so he would be locked up for a long time. And he's still only 21, AND he would be reuniting with his brother.
You also want a legitimate #1 22 yr old defenseman (with 8 years left on his contract) AND a prime coveted asset in a 1st round pick?

For a 24 yr old Auston Matthews with 3 years left on his contract, and it's no secret where he's going at contract's end.
I wouldn't even trade Heiskanen and the 1st round pick (minus Robertson) for 3 years of Auston Matthews

Look at that again and ask yourself, if the assets were reversed, would I do that deal?

I find that Leafs fans proposal's are so comically titled, both ways. Like that thread last year about McDavid, same question. Most leafs fans didn't even include Matthews or Marner. Too funny

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Id consider adding Matthews to our team tho our needs are not exactly a regular season high scoring forward as our top target

To Toronto: Horvat (captain), Myers, Dipietro, Juolevi, Gadvovich, 2022 5th round pick

To Vancity: Matthews, 2022 3rd round pick

Then Canucks would ice:

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Hoglander Matthews Garland
Pearson Dickinson Podzoklzin
Motte Sutter Macewan

Rathbone Hamonic
OEL Hughes
Hunt Pool Man
That 5th round pick will surely tip the scales.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
for me Matthews is worth 3 x top 15 picks or prospect worthy and a first pick
exp : Romanov and Ghule, Caufield is a top 15 worth prospect.

so exemple : Caufield + Romanov + Ghule + first pick , would be the price
This price for me is similair to Eichel as well.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Matthews wanted to come to San Jose, I'd trade pretty much anything to Toronto so long as the dollars lined up.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

That's what I would ask for if I had either of these players and was moving them. I don't know if any team pays that price, but its what I would ask for.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A greasy moustache, an attempted car jacking and a couple removable pants.
My best offer, take it or leave it.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Only if there's a written guarantee he was resigning with the team he was going to. No GM in their right mind would offer anything near that for 3 yrs of Matthews.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Does this non sense ever end lol...the best goal scorer in the world isn't going anywhere anytime soon...

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Contract and the fact that he has been linked to wanting to play in Arizona, make it a tough trade. When on he is definitely a top 10 player in the league. A change in scenery trade for a player like Eichel would work.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
His contract is irrelevant as he is a legitimate top player in the entire league. Just about every American team, and some Canadian teams, would make the necessary room if he were ever available.

The bigger issue is that his contract has set him up to walk into UFA status at a very young age. I get the impression Matthews wants to be in complete control of where he spends the rest of his career and that includes having as many options available. My feeling is that he wants to play for an American team and I think most people would agree with that. I think his value is hurt because of this.

I couldn't even begin to guess what his trade value might be. Toronto almost certainly loses either way.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Buffalo offers Kyle Okposo 50% retained. Colin Miller, a B prospect, 2022 1st round pick top 3 protected, a 2022 3rd round pick and a conditional 2023 6th rd pick, condition is Mathews must score 60 goals.

Am I doing this right?
no no...

Halak/Ryder/3rd

Kerfoot/Leivo/3rd

etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad