Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
How about players like Paul Karyia and Jack Eichel . I guess they looked like 3rd liners too ehhh...
They would have still been good had they won the award or not, all Im saying is that winning it doesn't directly corelate to becoming a great NHLer. Makar obviously looks like he is but the Hobey Baker award itself is overrated IMO.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
They were both great in college, but I don't get the weight put into the Hobey Baker award. Sure its a good award and all but its also been won by non-NHLers and players like Jimmy Vesey and Adam Gaudette, both of whom look like 3rd liners at this point. Also I believe Hughes came in like 2nd or 3rd place in HB voting for his second year of college.
Makar won it as a sophomore, makes a huge difference when they win it. The last player that won the award that wasn't a Junior or Senior was Eichel.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Makar won it as a sophomore, makes a huge difference when they win it. The last player that won the award that wasn't a Junior or Senior was Eichel.

Eichel was also only 18 years old, and it was in his draft year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hughes for me. He kills it his advanced stats is superior, it's actually not even close.

Hughes.

How about players like Paul Karyia and Jack Eichel . I guess they looked like 3rd liners too ehhh...

well yea, so is Drew LeBlanc and Jack Connolly. Sure as hell lighting it up eh.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You cant have it both ways though, makars first year of college people blamed his team being bad for his production, at the same age hughes outproduced makar by quite a bit. If quinn was in the ncaa at 20 could he produce like makar did last year? We will never know. And at quinns age of 19 his ncaa production (over a point per game) for a defense-man his production last I looked was extraordinary at that age.

You can tilt these arguments anyway you want in favor of one or the other.
Makar definitely had an adjustment period coming from the AJHL a league he absolutely dominated it took a little while for him to get comfortable influencing a higher level of competition. But his last season was the best either of them have put together. Obviously Hughes never got a second season so it’s fair to compare their first seasons just not without considering Makar’s adjustment period.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hughes for me. He kills it his advanced stats is superior, it's actually not even close.

Hughes.

well yea, so is Drew LeBlanc and Jack Connolly. Sure as hell lighting it up eh.

As long as the only advanced stat you look at is Corsi, I guess that’s right. Makar is better in HDCF%, SCF%, xGF% etc.
Well, he’s not coming back from that one.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
If Makars last 2 games are a sign of things to come for him.... This bump from a Canucks fan is going to look very silly again soon enough.

Nobodies going to look silly, it is silly to think right now their is some big separation between these two prospects. Both are two of the best D prospects in the league with tons of potential and they are just starting their career 10 games into the season.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar is tied for the lead in rookie scoring and is just starting to get comfortable offensively. Wouldn't surprise me if he became the highest-scoring rookie D in the cap era.

Reactions: Dominance

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I agree with Sergei above, no reason that we can’t spread the love. Both amazing rookie D. A real privilege to be able to watch them.

As a Canucks fan, I’ve watched Hughes every game, and he has been better than even my already very high expectations. He improved his strength and slap shot in the offseason and it shows. He actually wins a lot of battles where he should be losing due to his size. Seems like he has freakish strength for being so small. I thought he would really struggle defensively, but he has thrived.

I look forward to watching Makar every game because, well, most of all I’m a fan of hockey.

Reactions: cgf

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I would encourage anyone that feels like they have a horse in this race to just chill until March or so and then comment. It is fun to imagine how each "might " do and analyze their games and results but all of us know it is WAY too early to start to break down the performance of rookies this early. (That being said Hughes is way better... :P )

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Important to remember that Hughes is a full year younger than Makar. For prospects at their age, especially defensemen, that’s huge.

This is Hughes

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
If Makars last 2 games are a sign of things to come for him.... This bump from a Canucks fan is going to look very silly again soon enough.
3 points last game for Hughes.

Makar is tied for the lead in rookie scoring and is just starting to get comfortable offensively. Wouldn't surprise me if he became the highest-scoring rookie D in the cap era.
Tied with Hughes.

Both these guys are so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad