Major upstate NY SUNY school will be going D1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
One of the major SUNY schools in upstate NY will be going D1 in the coming years. I won't share which one (this school's club team had a very impressive year last year) or the timeline (it will not be rush job for next season) for that to happen yet, but it should add some more excitement into D1 hockey in the NE quite soon.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
One of the major SUNY schools in upstate NY will be going D1 in the coming years. I won't share which one (this school's club team had a very impressive year last year) or the timeline (it will not be rush job for next season) for that to happen yet, but it should add some more excitement into D1 hockey in the NE quite soon.

Sounds like SUNY Oswego...

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
It is not

No other schools fit your criteria of being
1. SUNY
2. Upstate
3. Had an impressive club hockey season last year

I'm going to make a leap and say your definition definition of competitive club hockey erroneously includes the College Hockey Federation. If that is the case, then it is SUNY Binghamton who made a run to the CHF Gold Medal game. But make no mistake, that is not impressive. It is in line with lower end ACHA D2/higher end ACHA D3 talent.

hkyNS

May 3, 2022
Halifornia, NS
No other schools fit your criteria of being
1. SUNY
2. Upstate
3. Had an impressive club hockey season last year

I'm going to make a leap and say your definition definition of competitive club hockey erroneously includes the College Hockey Federation. If that is the case, then it is SUNY Binghamton who made a run to the CHF Gold Medal game. But make no mistake, that is not impressive. It is in line with lower end ACHA D2/higher end ACHA D3 talent.
even if you guess right he wont tell you, if he wanted people to know he would have said in his original post.

Reactions: bleedblue94

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Nothing says "excitement" like a "major" SUNY school adding hockey, especially considering that none of the SUNY schools are particularly competitive in anything. UAlbany occasionally wins the America East and gets into the NCAA tournament. Buffalo had a decent football program under Turner Gill and regressed. Binghamton isn't particularly good at anything. All of these schools also have Title IX problems and none of them have profitable athletic programs.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Based on bleedblue's other posts recently being about Binghamton's Fed team, I'd bet the farm he's talking about Binghamton. I'm far less keen on betting the farm that this actually happens.

Either that was intentionally thinly veiled but bb isn't as sly as they think they are.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Could this be in relation to the Utica rumor/reports that they will move their athletic department from DIII to DII and subsequently elevate their hockey programs to DI?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Could this be in relation to the Utica rumor/reports that they will move their athletic department from DIII to DII and subsequently elevate their hockey programs to DI?
"Is it bigger than a breadbox?" Maybe. But it's clearly Silly Season in the NCAA hockey web-verse.

Reactions: mk80

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Utica isn't a SUNY school. It was a branch campus of Syracuse University before splitting off.

Edited to add: There are only three SUNY schools that participate in Division I Athletics: UAlbany, Binghamton, and University at Buffalo. All the smaller SUNY campuses are Division III. Despite their entries into Division I over the past 20 years, all three athletic programs are middle or bottom of the pack programs in mid-major conferences.

Buffalo had a real college hockey program back in the late 70s that played in the ECAC Division II and later the ECAC West leagues. The only notable person to have played there is Frank Anzalone. That said, they'd just need to find the funding for the program. There's a practice rink right near North Campus and they could play games at HarborCenter, the KeyBank Center or Buffalo State.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H and mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
SUNY's million campuses probably have a better spelling bee teams than competitive contact sports.

SUNY Geneseo and SUNY Oswego are perennially in the national rankings for hockey and have better attendance than many NCAA DI programs. Yet another time you make a post showing how little you know about things both North American and collegiate hockey related.

Shouldn't you be out scouting the WHL?

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I agree, but that doesn't bring in the revenue like college basketball or football does.

... you do realize that athletic revenue doesn't generally go into a university's general fund, right? Athletics revenue generally goes towards athletic department fundraising, salaries, facilities operations, fundraising, equipment, fundraising, charitable efforts, and fundraising.

Also, the vast majority of NCAA athletics programs (at any level) lose money. Generally, the gap is filled by hitting all students with "student activity fees" that fund the athletic programs that the vast majority of them do not participate in.

It's essentially a zero-sum game where schools try not to lose money while building good PR.

Reactions: S E P H

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
... you do realize that athletic revenue doesn't generally go into a university's general fund, right? Athletics revenue generally goes towards athletic department fundraising, salaries, facilities operations, fundraising, equipment, fundraising, charitable efforts, and fundraising.

Also, the vast majority of NCAA athletics programs (at any level) lose money. Generally, the gap is filled by hitting all students with "student activity fees" that fund the athletic programs that the vast majority of them do not participate in.

It's essentially a zero-sum game where schools try not to lose money while building good PR.
I certainly don't have the NCAA experience that some of you guys have, but I'll bet that not many NCAA hockey programs make any money. The fact that a lot of schools can provide an entertaining/high skill level product is great to see. I really like watching NCAA hockey.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I certainly don't have the NCAA experience that some of you guys have, but I'll bet that not many NCAA hockey programs make any money. The fact that a lot of schools can provide an entertaining/high skill level product is great to see. I really like watching NCAA hockey.

You would win that bet. The number would change annually, but I'd make an educated guess that fewer than 20 (less than one third of Division I hockey programs) make money.

Reactions: AUS Fan

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Why the big secret? Just say which school it is.

It's almost certainly Binghamton. Their club clowns finished second in some "I Can't Believe It's Not The ACHA! National Tournament," which meets up with what Mr. Secret Sources said, ("this school's club team had a very impressive year last year") as club clowns and their fans seem to think winning the equivalent of a Division VII "National Championship" is "impressive."

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Still, judging by the rapid response to incorrect answers but a lack of response to a potentially correct answer I think I got it right.
As I said before, you did not get it right...

You would win that bet. The number would change annually, but I'd make an educated guess that fewer than 20 (less than one third of Division I hockey programs) make money.
In some instances colleges need to spend more money on athletics than they currently do for a variety of reasons, so it is not always about being profitable with a sporting program.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's almost certainly Binghamton. Their club clowns finished second in some "I Can't Believe It's Not The ACHA! National Tournament," which meets up with what Mr. Secret Sources said, ("this school's club team had a very impressive year last year") as club clowns and their fans seem to think winning the equivalent of a Division VII "National Championship" is "impressive."
Also, I know you are generally negative about everything pertaining to lower level hockey and such, but in some instances you go over the top trying to just shit on every league, owner, operator, concept. I rarely have seen you offer an alternative positive take on virtually anything happening in lower level pro hockey or college. The constant negativity is amusing at times but it also gets tired. Try to be happy sometime...

Why the big secret? Just say which school it is.
It wasn't my place to tell and the details were held in a very close circle right including with the NHL regarding player development division. I actually forgot about this post and hadn't checked it for replies which is why I didn't respond.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Based on bleedblue's other posts recently being about Binghamton's Fed team, I'd bet the farm he's talking about Binghamton. I'm far less keen on betting the farm that this actually happens.

Either that was intentionally thinly veiled but bb isn't as sly as they think they are.
You can read however you chose into things, but I have been vetted for having information pertaining to several professional leagues including the NHL. If you chose to not believe my information I don't much care. And if I wanted to keep something truly hidden and be "sly" I wouldn't post it at all. Just having to fun is all.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
In some instances colleges need to spend more money on athletics than they currently do for a variety of reasons, so it is not always about being profitable with a sporting program.
That is true, inasmuch as the vast majority of college sports programs are non-profitable. Division I Hockey is a revenue sport, but it isn't a revenue sport at every school where it's played, just as Division I men's basketball isn't profitable at every school where it's played, either. Schools are willing to break even/lose money on athletics to build good PR and bring in the alumni donations.

And I'll stop shitting on garbage hockey when its promoters stop demanding to be taken seriously. Club hockey is a participation trophy sport, just like Midget B. Have fun with it, sure, but don't go telling people you "played college hockey" because you played club hockey. Those who know the difference will laugh at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad