Movies: Madame Web

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm reading that it's the best comic book movie since The Dark Knight and has such incredible acting, writing and editing.

O9IVv1x.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I saw it last weekend, had some free passes to use up. It's a good enough popcorn flick for Spider-Geeks, but probably putrid for everyone else.

I can appreciate what the movie tried to do, but Madame Web clearly fails to have the Marvel-infused charm of the Spider-Man movies, and sits comfortably in the same muck as the Venom flicks and Morbius. Not great, not bad, just mediocre.

It's bad writing. The story is not good enough. It's hamstrung by the limitations of telling an origin story in the middle of a slasher flick.

The villain? A once poor, now rich and greedy narcissist. Not interesting.

The hero? Slogging through her discovery of abilities isn't rewarding for the audience.

The Spider-Women? Just teenage girls running from the boogeyman. As earlier spoiled, no Spider-Women action until a cameo at the end. Sort of a congratulations for sitting through the set-up, now please give us the chance to make the payoff movie.

So many plotholes that require proper exposition, which would extend the running time to an insane length. The biggest one that really sticks, is: How do the girls become Spider-Women if they already know the mechanism for gaining superpowers? Aren't superpowers supposed to be the result of an accident or event that is out of someone's control? Can anyone seek out superpowers now?

Ugh.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I saw it last weekend, had some free passes to use up. It's a good enough popcorn flick for Spider-Geeks, but probably putrid for everyone else.

I can appreciate what the movie tried to do, but Madame Web clearly fails to have the Marvel-infused charm of the Spider-Man movies, and sits comfortably in the same muck as the Venom flicks and Morbius. Not great, not bad, just mediocre.

It's bad writing. The story is not good enough. It's hamstrung by the limitations of telling an origin story in the middle of a slasher flick.

The villain? A once poor, now rich and greedy narcissist. Not interesting.

The hero? Slogging through her discovery of abilities isn't rewarding for the audience.

The Spider-Women? Just teenage girls running from the boogeyman. As earlier spoiled, no Spider-Women action until a cameo at the end. Sort of a congratulations for sitting through the set-up, now please give us the chance to make the payoff movie.

So many plotholes that require proper exposition, which would extend the running time to an insane length. The biggest one that really sticks, is: How do the girls become Spider-Women if they already know the mechanism for gaining superpowers? Aren't superpowers supposed to be the result of an accident or event that is out of someone's control? Can anyone seek out superpowers now?

Ugh.

Idk how you can say it's mediocre then describe it as such an awful movie. Those other movies are also awful. Venom at least had some fun parts though.

I'll get hate for this but I'd say most superhero movies are mediocre, with the occasional great ones like TDK, infinity war, etc.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Idk how you can say it's mediocre then describe it as such an awful movie. Those other movies are also awful. Venom at least had some fun parts though.

I'll get hate for this but I'd say most superhero movies are mediocre, with the occasional great ones like TDK, infinity war, etc.
I enjoyed several things about the movie. The Peruvian Spider-Men lore, the hints towards the identity of the baby, Sydney Sweeney before she blows up big, the all of a sudden charismatic Adam Scott, the premonition sequences were cool.

Completely agree with the bolded. TDK, Spider-Man 1 & 2, and Dr. Strange are my favorites, but it's not punishing for me to sit through any comic book movie. I enjoy mediocre comic book flicks. I like to vent about them too.

• Wow
Reactions: MMC and LarKing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad