Movies: Madame Web

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Delayed to February. Feels like it's been quite some time now that a superhero movies hasn't been delayed for a year or close to one from its original release date. Now releasing after El Muerto rather than before it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Delayed to February. Feels like it's been quite some time now that a superhero movies hasn't been delayed for a year or close to one from its original release date. Now releasing after El Muerto rather than before it.
I would not be surprised if the lack of good CGI studios is continuing to cause major backlogs to get stuff done. With these types of movies, with fantastical characters and powers, requiring a lot of effects work it just makes releasing them on time that much harder.

Reactions: MMC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would not be surprised if the lack of good CGI studios is continuing to cause major backlogs to get stuff done. With these types of movies, with fantastical characters and powers, requiring a lot of effects work it just makes releasing them on time that much harder.
Would have expected Marvel and other big studios to setup their own internal FX studios. Maybe only so much talent to do so.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Would have expected Marvel and other big studios to setup their own internal FX studios. Maybe only so much talent to do so.
That's the issue throughout industry. Covid backlog is a fact. John Campea explained how the visual FX studio work since he used to work for one. A VFX studio send their bid to a movie studio and they compete against other studios fro who can do the job at the lowest price. Then when they realize they can't do everything, they contract a smaller studio to do a small part. This isn't an issue that's on Marvel.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This will be a Marvels level bomb. Marvel and SW theatrical releases are dead. Disney is thinking about selling their film rights. Their future is in tv.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Had to look up Madame Web's powers after watching the trailer.
So it's clairvoyance, precognition, telephathy, astral projection...yep...definitely the powers of a spider.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This will be a Marvels level bomb. Marvel and SW theatrical releases are dead. Disney is thinking about selling their film rights. Their future is in tv.
This has nothing to do with the MCU and Disney, Sony owns all the Spider man universe (so Venom movies, Morbius, Kraven the Hunter and this) and this is their release.

And ya that trailer was errr not good, not good at all...not sure where they are trying to do with this one.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Had to look up Madame Web's powers after watching the trailer.
So it's clairvoyance, precognition, telephathy, astral projection...yep...definitely the powers of a spider.
Ya Sony is really changing her for this movie she is supposed to be old and paralyzed and blind among other things.

Powers
Madame Web possessed psychic abilities including telepathy, clairvoyance, and prescience. She can also perform astral projection and appear to others in spirit form.

Telepathy: ability to read minds and project thoughts.
Astral Projection: ability to project her consciousness outside her body and travel
Psychic Surgery: ability to perform psychic surgery on others minds
Mind Alteration: generally affect the minds of those around her.
Clairvoyance: sensitivity to psychic energies in her environment allows her to see her immediate area and events taking place far away.
Precognition: ability to perceive aspects of the future
Immortality: After the Gathering of Five ceremony, she apparently has the gift of immortality.[24]
Additional Attributes
Paralysis: Madame Web is handicapped, lacking most function in her limbs. Since the Gathering of the Five, her health had greatly improved and confined to a special chair. However her health appears to have declined again, as she has returned to her more elaborate chair.
Blind: Madame Web is legally blind, however she is able to compensate for this by using her psychic powers.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
The Madame Web you're talking about is Cassandra Webb, the original who was featured quite a bit in the '90s Spider-man animated series. The movie will centre around Julia Carpenter, the 2nd Madame Web and current (?) version in the 616 comics. I think she was originally a Jessica Drew Spider-woman replacement. I have a hard time keeping track of all the Spider-people.

Seems more like they're amalgamating the 2 versions of Madame Web into one

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The Madame Web you're talking about is Cassandra Webb, the original who was featured quite a bit in the '90s Spider-man animated series. The movie will centre around Julia Carpenter, the 2nd Madame Web and current (?) version in the 616 comics. I think she was originally a Jessica Drew Spider-woman replacement. I have a hard time keeping track of all the Spider-people.

Seems more like they're amalgamating the 2 versions of Madame Web into one
Must admit I have not kept up on the Spider-Verse in the comics so thanks

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Saw the trailer last night while watching Survivor... Looks ridiculous, and doesn't look very well acted either. I haven't been big into superhero movies since the around the middle of the MCU blow-up.

Aside from Batman, I just don't really have much interest in many superhero movies, but this one just looks whack. Though I'm not familiar with Madame Web, she does seem to have some cool abilities from what I've read.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This has nothing to do with the MCU and Disney, Sony owns all the Spider man universe (so Venom movies, Morbius, Kraven the Hunter and this) and this is their release.

And ya that trailer was errr not good, not good at all...not sure where they are trying to do with this one.
Nothing to do with Disney yeah but Venom 2 and Morbius show it’s clearly connected to the MCU

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This guy seems to think the movie will tie up all the Spider-Verse stuff from Venom to Tom Holland, the Spider-Verse movies and even the video games.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nothing to do with Disney yeah but Venom 2 and Morbius show it’s clearly connected to the MCU
Some thing, as I posted above, this movie might bring them closer together but I guess we shall see. I mean this is another universe not the 616 one .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad