Confirmed with Link: MacTavish and Van Ryn gone

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Not surprising, though I thought Van Ryn would be spared.

Equivalent to re-arranging chairs on the Titanic, etc. Still need to get players.

Reactions: mk80

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
MacTavish - good, I never understood why he was hired in the first place beyond perhaps fulfilling some keep ex-NHLers perpetually hired in positions they're not capable of doing, but they're there so they can draw a free paycheck requirement.

Van Ryn - OK, whatever. I don't know that he's as bad as some claim, but I don't think he's irreplaceable either.

What this spells out though - and it's been obvious for a while - is that Ott is going nowhere unless he decides to leave on his own.

Reactions: RORbacon and mk80

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
This was most important thing that needed to happen for us to be better next season. I think folks are sleeping on how poorly coached we were, particularly defensively.
If you look at their metrics, it’s pretty astounding they’ve been as competitive as they have the last couple of years. The strategy is actually infuriating. Excited to see who comes in but I’m really hoping it’s not another known commodity unless maybe Trotz (I know he doesn’t want to do it anymore but a guy can dream)

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
MacTavish - good, I never understood why he was hired in the first place beyond perhaps fulfilling some keep ex-NHLers perpetually hired in positions they're not capable of doing, but they're there so they can draw a free paycheck requirement.

Van Ryn - OK, whatever. I don't know that he's as bad as some claim, but I don't think he's irreplaceable either.

What this spells out though - and it's been obvious for a while - is that Ott is going nowhere unless he decides to leave on his own.

I remember it being mentioned in an interview last offseason (not sure by who, maybe Strickland) that coaches often like to have an experienced guy around for support, and that was supposed to be MacT's role. Both MVR and Ott are still fairly new to the coaching game, so they wanted to go with a guy who's been around for that 3rd assistant role. I know it's easy to bag on him, but I am not gonna act like he cost us games by himself. Maybe he wasn't the best choice, but I wouldn't assume another coach would have made a huge difference with this team.

Regarding Otter, wouldn't he have to be a favorite to replace Berube whenever that day comes? I get the sense that Ott is being groomed for a HC position and it would be an easy transition from Chief to Ott. Of course that depends on how long Berube is here and if any other teams try to poach Ott to be their own HC, but it seems like Ott is very comfortable in St. Louis and probably isn't eager to move his family elsewhere.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
This was most important thing that needed to happen for us to be better next season. I think folks are sleeping on how poorly coached we were, particularly defensively.
I think even if you don't buy into the idea that the coaching staff ran out of answers, this year...just compare it to, last year. There were a dozen+ games (and 1.5 playoff series) where coaching was demonstrably an x-factor. I can't think of many (if any) examples, this year.

And unsurprised that we're hanging onto Ott. He kept trying new things, and the players all seem to speak VERY highly of him.

Additionally, right or wrong, Berube shortened his leash this year. It's going to happen when expectations fall this short, but I think the bigger impact was the player callout. We went on two 7game+ losing stints early in the season and the attitude he had was "we'll figure it out". Then, after losing their captain and a smaller losing stint, he threw the team to the wolves in a shocking manner. It worked, to a degree...but it also required Armstrong and Stillman to make public messages about how that's not the conduct the organization supports.

I like Berube, quite a bit. But Ott has graduated from "up and coming" to "insurance policy". Not my expectation that that policy gets exercised, next year...but...it's there.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Regarding Otter, wouldn't he have to be a favorite to replace Berube whenever that day comes? I get the sense that Ott is being groomed for a HC position and it would be an easy transition from Chief to Ott. Of course that depends on how long Berube is here and if any other teams try to poach Ott to be their own HC, but it seems like Ott is very comfortable in St. Louis and probably isn't eager to move his family elsewhere.
I get that sense. Doesn't hurt that Ott has been made very comfortable in St. Louis since he was acquired in 2013, what with getting (grossly) overpaid on that next contract and then being plopped behind the bench when he retired with zero coaching experience but guys on the locker room like him as his major selling point.

Does it help if the players like him? Depends, do you need coaches to be liked by the players? Scotty Bowman was legendary for being disliked by his players, and he still managed to win the Cup 9 times as a head coach. I can go find a list of coaches who were really liked by their players, who did a shit job. I'm just asking what's so special about Ott that every time people complain about the shit coaching on this team, he's always omitted from the discussion - and the players like him isn't it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Czech

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Glad they made the moves quick. Not that I was doubting Army, but it's nice when what we see also matches up with what he sees, those were are clear weak spots on the staff. We need a better defensive coach, especially since we don't have a true #1 to rely on. Hopefully someone with experience can find a more effective way to deploy the guys we got or whatever upgrade we get.

And for MacTavish, I hope he gets replaced with someone who is good with x's and o's, but also has a personality like Monty. They mentioned that as something that the team was missing.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well we did get a top 10 draft position so I’ll give MacTavish credit for doing something.

That being said that was one of the most disappointing coaching hires we could have had last summer. I thought Van Ryn might have had some safety but I do think a new voice coaching the defense will help.

Now let’s fire Chiarrelli!

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
Well we did get a top 10 draft position so I’ll give MacTavish credit for doing something.

That being said that was one of the most disappointing coaching hires we could have had last summer. I thought Van Ryn might have had some safety but I do think a new voice coaching the defense will help.

Now let’s fire Chiarrelli!
Lol

Anybody know where to catch Armstrongs presser tomorrow?

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Glad they made the moves quick. Not that I was doubting Army, but it's nice when what we see also matches up with what he sees, those were are clear weak spots on the staff. We need a better defensive coach, especially since we don't have a true #1 to rely on. Hopefully someone with experience can find a more effective way to deploy the guys we got or whatever upgrade we get.

And for MacTavish, I hope he gets replaced with someone who is good with x's and o's, but also has a personality like Monty. They mentioned that as something that the team was missing.
I wonder if they look at any CHL head coaches for the next assistant role replacing MacTavish. Someone that might be young and confident but also emphasizes developing and bringing the best out of each player. Which is something this team desperately needs IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad