MacKinnon vs Matthews

• MacKinnon

• Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Matthews no doubt, i'm a Habs fan but i really think he is the only player who have the potential to beat Gretzky goal. Ovechkin is amazing, but going too old to beat Gretzky.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
MacKinnon, but it'll be close just like it is now. MacKinnon is the better play driver and slightly better overall offensive producer. Matthews is the better goalscorer and better defensively. I just think MacK influences the game in more ways, but goalscoring machines are hugely valuable. Matthews is younger and I think has been better this season though, so you never know. Age probably favours Matthews despite only a 2-year difference, as he'll be right in that sweet spot for most player's best production, while MacKinnon will be toward the end of it.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
MacKinnon, but it'll be close just like it is now. MacKinnon is the better play driver and overall offensive producer. Matthews is the better goalscorer and better defensively. I just think MacK influences the game in more ways, but goalscoring machines are hugely valuable.

This seems a pretty fair take . Could go either way but it's certainly close. Maybe age being something that tips scales.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Next 3 years is a nice new premise. better than a pissing match on who has been better.

to be honest its pretty tough. Mackinnon has been better to date, but i would not trade Matthews for him if given the chance. i feel Matthews has really hit his next gear recently, especially with goal scoring.

for example, look at Mackinnons first 4 years in the league then the massive leap in year 5.

this is Matthews' 5th season. he didnt take quite as long to get going, but i think he could very well be better than Mackinnon as soon as next year.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is better. Straight up.

This is no slight at MacKinnon either. He is a beast!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Matthews no doubt, i'm a Habs fan but i really think he is the only player who have the potential to beat Gretzky goal. Ovechkin is amazing, but going too old to beat Gretzky.
He'll need to average around 45 goals per season until the age of 35 to match Ovi's numbers right now, and then will still need another 260 more goals at 36+ years old. Thats going to take some ridiculous longevity. Is it impossible? Probably not, but its also incredibly unlikely.

As for the poll, too close to call. It's Mackinnon right now, but I could see Matthews passing him in the next 3 years due to his superior goal scoring.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews, and I don't say that lightly. Here's hoping we get to see Colorado and Toronto meet in the playoffs because that would be a dandy.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
I think it's still MacKinnon but Matthews has made this a really tough question. Less than 2 years ago people were on here telling me Matthews would never come close to Nate's level

I think Matthews is still getting better he's only 23 while MacKinnon has likely peaked at 25, so next 3 years could be AM

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
He'll need to average around 45 goals per season until the age of 35 to match Ovi's numbers right now, and then will still need another 260 more goals at 36+ years old. Thats going to take some ridiculous longevity. Is it impossible? Probably not, but its also incredibly unlikely.

As for the poll, too close to call. It's Mackinnon right now, but I could see Matthews passing him in the next 3 years due to his superior goal scoring.
Luckily for him, he's scored at that exact pace or better in every single season he's played - except his rookie season.

With health, and without work stoppages, that is not just possible, that is seemingly likely.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Luckily for him, he's scored at that exact pace or better in every single season he's played - except his rookie season.

With health, and without work stoppages, that is not just possible, that is seemingly likely.
I don't know if it's seemingly likely. It would require him playing pretty much every game and carrying that kind of consistency into your mid 30s is not something that happens as often and as easy as Ovechkin has made it look. Then he would need another 5 seasons from 36-41 years old of 50 goal seasons. Its incredibly unlikely that anyone catches Gretzky.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Basically pick your poison. I lean towards MacK because of his more balanced offensive game. But I feel very, very tempted to pick Matthews. His scoring prowess is absolutely stunning.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Matthews is amazing, but there's no way he's catching up to OV. No-one in the league will. I don't mean this as a jab or anything, but he won't do it. What Ovechkin is doing is an absolute outlier of insane proportions. Chances of anyone replicating it are close to zero.

And yes, I do realize that Matthews has started his career extremely strong.

Reactions: Garthinater

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think MacKinnon has the edge now, but Matthews from ages 24-26 likely has the edge on MacKinnon from ages 26-28. Should be very close though.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Really close. Either pick is a good choice. I will go Matthews but Ava fans should be happy.

A certain sens fan will be seething when they see this but,they will never have a center of these guys calibre .

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It’s close, but Matthews. The best goalscorer in the league by far. It’s automatic at this point and no one comes close in that respect. Also prefer his size and reach at the center position.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews is amazing, but there's no way he's catching up to OV. No-one in the league will. I don't mean this as a jab or anything, but he won't do it. What Ovechkin is doing is an absolute outlier of insane proportions. Chances of anyone replicating it are close to zero.

And yes, I do realize that Matthews has started his career extremely strong.

Well yeah he missed the boat on this one when Babcock gave him horrible minutes and didn't play him with Marner, or else it would've been possible. It still is, but I definitely wouldn't bet on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad