MacKinnon vs. Jones

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'll gladly take a sure thing at D if he is one, but I haven't seen anywhere near enough to be sure. He underwhelmed me at the WJC from a decision making perspective, but I didn't catch all the games, either.

I'm hoping for Barkov either way though.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Give me the potential superstar center. A Backstrom/Mackinnon combo would be beautiful to watch and would position us to be an offensive powerhouse again shortly with Kuznetsov and Forsberg potentially supplementing that duo and Ovechkin.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Tell me how Carlson ends up looking, and I'll tell you who I want. Assuming it's not a slam dunk either way scouting wise.

Alternatively, trade down a spot or 3.

Not like the Caps will win the lottery regardless. :laugh:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Barkov. He's big. He's got good hands. Is considered universally the most NHL ready of all the players, and he won't even 18 until a couple weeks before training camp. Great defensively.

Some people think he's a average skater, Button thinks he's very good and can be explosive. Button is a bad GM, but I can trust his write up on skating over people on this forum.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Barkov. He's big. He's got good hands. Is considered universally the most NHL ready of all the players, and he won't even 18 until a couple weeks before training camp. Great defensively.

Some people think he's a average skater, Button thinks he's very good and can be explosive. Button is a bad GM, but I can trust his write up on skating over people on this forum.

I share it. He doesn't look like a bad skater, he looks like a kid who got really big and needs some more time. You see flashes of it, it's just not consistently there yet. It doesn't strike me as anything that a hard offseason with a skating coach in his early 20's wouldn't fix, when that frame settles down.

Of course, he's got all of the other tools to be a good puck possession player in this league anyway, he doesn't need insane foot speed.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Plus he's guaranteed to be at least as good as Kopitar. Guaranteed...

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I share it. He doesn't look like a bad skater, he looks like a kid who got really big and needs some more time. You see flashes of it, it's just not consistently there yet. It doesn't strike me as anything that a hard offseason with a skating coach in his early 20's wouldn't fix, when that frame settles down.

Of course, he's got all of the other tools to be a good puck possession player in this league anyway, he doesn't need insane foot speed.

He isn't an speed demon like you stated but he's pretty underrated skater especially when you consider his frame. His skating stride is long and effective and it looks slow but it's suprisingly effective.

Barkov is the one with the golden helmet. Pretty good clip from his skating. There is smaller guy Chris Connoly who has much quicker feets but isn't much faster if he is at all. There is good sample about his balance and strength fighting against men at the boards.

Potential wise Barkov can be better skater like you said. Once his legs get's stronger. He is carrying 210+lbs frame afterall and he isn't turning 18 until 8 months.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
My guess is Mackinnon will need the least development and have the most consistent career of the top prospects. The other 3 will need development that the Caps will find a way to screw up.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I would always prefer the 100 pt center over the 40-50 pt D-men and in most cases the 80 pt winger (Drouin) over the Dman, but in this case, if have the 2nd pick and Jones is left standing, then I'm picking him over Drouin. It's a crap shoot though. I've seen Drouin play and he has a shot to be the best of the 3. We'll see in 5 years time.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
If I'm Caps, here's my strategy:
1. MacKinnon
2. (If MacKinnon is taken) trade down
3. Barkov
4. Lindholm
5. Monahan

Center or bust!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Caps are one of the few times that could benefit from taking one of the C's over Jones.

Little depends on what the management is wanting now, re-tool or contend till Calgary mode.

breakawaygoal

Dec 29, 2011
breakawaygoal.blogspot.com
I'd prefer Barkov over MacKinnon, even though they're almost the same age Barkov is bigger and has been playing with men for the last 2 seasons. Offensively even if MacKinnon has a higher ceiling Barkov should make up with better defensive coverage, which I would prefer for a 2C (presumably MacKinnon or Barkov would play behind Backstrom).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If we're going full-on rebuild, I don't know why you'd presume Backstrom would stay in Washington. Or why you'd assume he's going to continue to be an top flight 1C, given that he's one of the biggest reasons for our disappointing start to the season.

I Am Score*

My strategy for the Caps is simple:

1. MacKinnon
2. Drouin
3. Jones
4. Barkov
5. Trade Down/Pick

I Am Score*

best player available, worry about needs later.

MacKinnon reminds me of an Eric Staal
Drouin reminds me of a Phil Kessel
Jones reminds me of a Brent Seabrook

Take your pick :D

I Am Score*

If Drouin projects as Phil Kessel, no thanks.

Kessel is one of the most underrated forwards in the game, and those are just what they REMIND me of.

Drouin would be a solid fit if we couldn't get MacKinnon or Jones.

Plus we could use his speed on the first line with Ovechkin and Backstrom. Forsberg and Kuz on the 2nd when they jump ship. Boom.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Kessel is one of the most underrated forwards in the game, and those are just what they REMIND me of.

Drouin would be a solid fit if we couldn't get MacKinnon or Jones.

Plus we could use his speed on the first line with Ovechkin and Backstrom. Forsberg and Kuz on the 2nd when they jump ship. Boom.

Kessel is not underrated. He's done exactly nothing impressive in his career except get picked high in the draft.

Bethesda

Feb 1, 2013
MacKinnon....but only because it's fun to dream about offense and boring to dream about defense. And also because it might be pretty fun to have a stud center for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad