MacInnis on Parayko

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/03/14/the-quiet-calder-trophy-candidate
MARCH 14, 2016

The quiet Calder Trophy candidate
Flames legend Al MacInnis believes Blues rookie Colton Parayko deserves top rookie votes

As a Hall of Famer who won almost everything the sport had to offer, perhaps Al MacInnis should be given an honorary vote in the league’s annual award balloting.

And if he did, the lad who’d get his nod as the Calder Trophy winner as top rookie might not necessarily be named Panarin, Eichel, McDavid, Larkin or Domi.

It could just be St. Louis defenceman Colton Parayko.

“I know there’s some high-end, top-of-the-line rookies out there, but if you watched this kid game in and game out it would blow your mind,” said the somewhat biased St. Louis Blues VP of Hockey Operations while watching Parayko practise at the Dome before Monday night’s Flames game.

“The way he’s played since Day 1, it’s hard to believe it’s his first year. He hasn’t had much publicity nationally but there aren’t many defencemen who come into the league and play this well and at a consistent basis. It has been unreal.”

Unreal is the best way to describe Parayko’s route to the NHL, let alone a season of such incredible rookie prominence.

Read the rest of the article at the link. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He's absolutely right.

I don't give a crap about the Calder. Putting up 30+ points and being great defensively is an amazing rookie season and he'll be a top-pairing defenseman in his career. Glad he'll be wearing the Note for a long time.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It's uncanny at times how in almost all aspects of hockey, things seem to even out in the end.

The Blues drafted Erik Johnson #1 overall. He's not a bust of a player near as much as I think Yakupov will end up being. But EJ is not close to the player the pro scouts thought he'd become.

Isn't Parayko pretty much everything and more Blues fans wanted EJ to be?

It is nice to see MacInnis sing the praises of Parayko closely to some on here, without going overboard.

13 defensemen (including Pietrangelo) are over 25 minutes per game. I think it's possible both Parayko & Pietrangelo have those type of minutes next year. Parayko is 5th on the team in TOI at 19:19. That's a pretty telling stat for any rookie D.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Two things I'd like to see improved on from my standpoint in Parayko's game next year.

1) Shoot quicker and more often. Use that slapshot to intimidate players to not standing in front of it. Learn the one timer from Chopper.

2) Hang around Pronger to pick up a mean streak. Punish lesser individuals who think they have a right to stand in your God given space in front of the net. Lay some lumber on those who violate your personal space.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Two things I'd like to see improved on from my standpoint in Parayko's game next year.

1) Shoot quicker and more often. Use that slapshot to intimidate players to not standing in front of it. Learn the one timer from Chopper.

2) Hang around Pronger to pick up a mean streak. Punish lesser individuals who think they have a right to stand in your God given space in front of the net. Lay some lumber on those who violate your personal space.

Couldn't have said it better myself. He's going to be an absolute stud.

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
He's got MaCinnis's shot and Pronger's size. If only he could get a bit meaner he would be the perfect combination of the two.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

I agree. Let's hope he doesn't flame out like Brian Benning did.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I hope he wins the Calder Trophy, but I doubt that he does, given the fact that there are several good rookie forwards in the league. The voters will probably go for the guy who scores the points.

I doubt that Parakyo gets "mean." That does not seem to be his personality. He appears to be very even-tempered.

Parayko is an excellent young player who will continue to improve. And he has room to become a great player if he can get more of his booming shots on goal.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I hope he wins the Calder Trophy, but I doubt that he does, given the fact that there are several good rookie forwards in the league. The voters will probably go for the guy who scores the points.

I doubt that Parakyo gets "mean." That does not seem to be his personality. He appears to be very even-tempered.

Parayko is an excellent young player who will continue to improve. And he has room to become a great player if he can get more of his booming shots on goal.
I doubt he'll ever become mean either but most hockey players are even tempered off ice lol. I remember an interview with him where he said he plays the way he needs to play given the situation. He did say he'd rather just have the puck as opposed to chasing hits.

Absolutely agree on his shot. I won't lie...it's been pretty underwhelming. His backswing is slow and he doesn't snap it very fast. You watch other guys and it's off their stick fast. Watching Ghostisbehere shoot is something else

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'd rather Parayko avoid the old "mean streak" garbage. I'd rather he's on the ice as opposed to the penalty box. "Toughness", "mean streak", "grit" etc. loses hockey games. It may be more entertaining to watch for some, but it's an outdated attribute. The refs just throw them in the penalty box at the drop of a hat.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I'd rather Parayko avoid the old "mean streak" garbage. I'd rather he's on the ice as opposed to the penalty box. "Toughness", "mean streak", "grit" etc. loses hockey games. It may be more entertaining to watch for some, but it's an outdated attribute. The refs just throw them in the penalty box at the drop of a hat.

Right? I was confused by that too. We have guys like Edmundson and Bortuzzo for that sort of thing. It's much more important that he works on getting his shot off quickly

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Right, he has been a surgeon with that stick in the defensive zone, why mess completely change his game?

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Right? I was confused by that too. We have guys like Edmundson and Bortuzzo for that sort of thing. It's much more important that he works on getting his shot off quickly

Ever notice now much his stick bends even real time on wrist shots?

Or maybe it's his slow release and motion that makes it seem that way.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Would rather he didn't win the Calder. Our young players can start winning individual awards when they've signed their long term deals :laugh:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Right, he has been a surgeon with that stick in the defensive zone, why mess completely change his game?

No one's asking him to blow people up like Byfuglien, but to not get pushed around or manhandled in front of the net or in the D-zone (unlike Petro or Jaybo) would suffice.

So far, so good.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I just hope Al can get Parayko to start doing this again.

80M9muV.gif

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I doubt he'll ever become mean either but most hockey players are even tempered off ice lol. I remember an interview with him where he said he plays the way he needs to play given the situation. He did say he'd rather just have the puck as opposed to chasing hits.

Absolutely agree on his shot. I won't lie...it's been pretty underwhelming. His backswing is slow and he doesn't snap it very fast. You watch other guys and it's off their stick fast. Watching Ghostisbehere shoot is something else

Pronger had a big, slow backswing on his slapshot too.

The word "slow" is relative here, but its important to be able to get off a strong and accurate shot in hurry. The defenders will be hustling to block the shot, or get a stick in the way.

I'm not sure how he generated the power of his shot, but MacInnis seemed to have a shorter backswing and a quicker shot than Pronger.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think he should get a few votes for Calder, but he shouldn't win it. I love the kid and my next jersey is going to have 55 on it. But McDavid is playing unreal this season and would have run away with the Calder if he hadn't missed 30 games. The kid is 4th in the NHL in points per game with 40 points in 38 games. Even if voters decide that he hasn't played enough games, Panarin is 14th in the league in scoring with a decent chance at hitting the 70 point mark.

I'm not one to always give awards for offense, but these numbers are simply too good to ignore. Parayko is somewhere between the 3rd best and 6th best rookie in the NHL and I am absolutely thrilled about that. He has more room to grow than the other top rookies and has earned top 4 minutes on a contender with a pretty darn good blue line. All that from a 3rd round pick. Fantastic.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's uncanny at times how in almost all aspects of hockey, things seem to even out in the end.

The Blues drafted Erik Johnson #1 overall. He's not a bust of a player near as much as I think Yakupov will end up being. But EJ is not close to the player the pro scouts thought he'd become.

Isn't Parayko pretty much everything and more Blues fans wanted EJ to be?

It is nice to see MacInnis sing the praises of Parayko closely to some on here, without going overboard.

13 defensemen (including Pietrangelo) are over 25 minutes per game. I think it's possible both Parayko & Pietrangelo have those type of minutes next year. Parayko is 5th on the team in TOI at 19:19. That's a pretty telling stat for any rookie D.

That is an interesting point. Parayko is the player we hoped EJ would be. And we still have one of the guys we got for EJ - Kevin Shattenkirk. At least for now.

Let's keep Parayko away from the golf course in the off season.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
He has been awesome and has been a big surprise to many this year. Saying that, I don't think he has any chance at getting the calder and really don't even expect him to get more votes than Ghost. To me the clear top 3 are Panarin, McDavid, and Ghost. If Parayko continues to improve he is going to be a premier defenseman for many years to come and will be fine without the Calder trophy.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
i'd rather parayko avoid the old "mean streak" garbage. I'd rather he's on the ice as opposed to the penalty box. "toughness", "mean streak", "grit" etc. Loses hockey games. It may be more entertaining to watch for some, but it's an outdated attribute. the refs just throw them in the penalty box at the drop of a hat.

Thank You!

couldn't have said it better my self

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
And I must respectfully, but vehemently disagree. Grit does not "lose" hockey games, just look at the LA Kings. Skill is certainly more important, but size and toughness are a distinct advantage. I'm not asking Parayko to be Scott Stevens, but if opponents are suddenly wary as soon as he steps on the ice it takes a bit of edge off their game.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And I must respectfully, but vehemently disagree. Grit does not "lose" hockey games, just look at the LA Kings. Skill is certainly more important, but size and toughness are a distinct advantage. I'm not asking Parayko to be Scott Stevens, but if opponents are suddenly wary as soon as he steps on the ice it takes a bit of edge off their game.
Exactly this. People that think grit is the worst thing in the world are just as wrong as anyone else. If it lost hockey games why is David Backes the captain? Isn't that his primary quality that makes him so valuable? What would be the point of icing a 4th line? Why would Edmundson even get playing time, his development obviously wouldn't matter since he's only going to hurt the team with his toughness.

It's a stupid argument. Sure you also need to know how to play the game but it can work in your favor. Hell, Seabrook decided to use it on Backes and knocked our best center out of the series basically. Dwight King also greatly hampered the Blues' chances in 2012 with that hit on Pietrangelo.

Sure those hits were dirty but you have to go across the line a little bit if you want to compete in the playoffs. If you play soft you're going to be at a huge disadvantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad