Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’m sick of hearing about Trotz. He almost got fired halfway through last season and his bags were packed before the playoffs started. He was never coming back no matter how far we went. I’m not sold on Todd yet he needs to work on his bench skills, and there are a lot of questions to what he did this year. But enough of Trotz already.
THIS

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I'm curious as to how people think Barry Trotz would have made Kuznetsov's constant brain farts and terrible passing any better. Or make the team have any less of jelly legs in game 7 OT. Or force Holtby to stop those shots in regulation. I don't think this one was on the coach.

Yeah, I dont think Trotz would have been the answer. This definitely wasn't all on Reirden and the staff, but they were as bad as anyone else. Maybe they can get it turned around, but coaching was absolutely a problem.

Reactions: Corby78

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Just didn't have the juice this time, IMO -- and not quite enough individual brilliance to overcome it.

One can point the finger at various things/players, to me the thing that stood out the most is that the defense overall struggled to keep up. From here, poor zone exits, can't establish anything, and the ice gets tilted against for loong stretches.

Looking forward to next season -- hopefully, on the bright side, this loss will give GMBM the green light to work on improving things. Cheers!

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
The inability to adjust the PP zone entries was baffling. Our PP was fine once we had possession in their zone but too often we wasted the whole PP just trying to enter the zone.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Well after the Hershey time and his minutes tonight I’m guessing DSP is gone. Bura May have saved his job. The Copley job will probably be up in the air in next years camp. Who knows we may see axel again next fall.

Kuznetstrom

Apr 18, 2019
The slingshot pp setup was way too lackadaisical, predictable and just awful. The coaching was an embarassment to our stars.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
It's ****ing crazy. Do people not remember how awful Trotz was in the playoffs his first three years here? Alzner and Orpik as a pairing? Benching Orlov and Schmidt for Gleason and Weber? Choking a 3-1 lead away to the Rangers in 2015 with his inability to adjust to the Rangers stretch passes? Hell, he was a stick knob away last year from being down 0-3 against the Jackets and being run out of town.

Hockey is weird. All four division winners lost this year. This sport is random. Players have to make plays and they just didn't do it enough to advance. Holtby made two horrible gaffes tonight. Without those blunders the Caps win moving away and we're talking about New York right now.

Seriously. All the fire-Reirdon and Trotz lovers need to read the post above. Took Trotz 20+ years of being a head coach, 3 with a stacked Caps team, a few lucky bounces to win the cup. Not to mention he was on a verge of being fired once or twice.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Agree with others, no way they will fire Reirden as that would leave management with egg all over their face. But even if they did, who would replace him?
This is a predicament. Our management has dug a wonderful hole for itself.

If Reirden stays, we could waste another year. But is there a quality coach available on the market to replace him? It truly sucks to be in this position.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
We have, literally, the best power play scorer of all time and our PP was crap for four of the last five games. I like Reirden but man, WTF happened there?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Couple of quick thoughts. The last year was great. The relief of shedding the choker label allowed me to enjoy the team.

It was just a respite though. They have returned to the choker team they were and with next playoffs the anxiety and bad feelings will return.

I won't enjoy that. With that in mind I am going to give up being an active fan. I am not going back to the old ways. I have enjoyed sparring here and may miss that. Losing playoff series like this, I won't miss.

Good night and good luck.

I will respond to messages but this is my last post in the forum.

Take care

Reactions: Heath

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
We won last year so we are a lot better off than many fanbases. So, I'm grateful.

That said, why did I see this team literally *going backwards* so much this series. It let the canes get set up and plug up the middle. Rarely did we break through and set up.

I agree this is an impetus for some change. Maybe move #2. See who is ready for prime time out of the D prospects. I'll think about other changes I'd consider when I'm thinking clearer.

I don't think the window is closed, just make adjustments to a fast paced leauge, and keep the main core enthused, motivated, and believing.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

JediJew12

Apr 16, 2019
We are no where near a rebuild. Things didnt work out, but we simply need to review, and re-tool.

You could definitely see age as a factor as this series played out. The guys were simply tired (some of this due to stupid double shifting). We need our youth to step up a bit, and interject some energy to our game at the highest level. Add a few players who are good fits, and say our good byes to players who played great for us, but who's best years are behind them.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
First period our D was pinching like crazy and keeping the puck in their zone. Then we stopped which let them establish their forecheck. I understand not wanting to give odd man breaks when you are up 2 goals but I wish we would have kept playing that game.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I'm still disgusted. There were no adjustments in either overtime, we kept throwing it up the boards to the Cane defenseman and then they setup a cycle and threw shots on net, of course it was going to hit off someones leg and go in. I'm in the camp that just feels terrible for Ovi. He'll be 34, you'd have to think a decline in the next 2 seasons is likely. Backstrom was playing well most of the series. We're going to lose Connolly probably who played well. I don't know. I think we have 2 more seasons to have a punchers chance at a cup. Comparing this year to last year, after getting a front row seat at a Cup run, it was obvious it wasn't the same as last year. Losing game 7 at home after being up 2-0 and 3-1, while also havine a 2-0 series lead is typical Caps and I'm disgusted at that. It'll take me a few days to get over, I don't care if we won the Cup last year. It does help but at this rate it is a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad