Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Had to go back to my old Avatar now that we are down 3-0. Need to change up the mojo.

I sure hope the Caps bring some grit and energy in Game 4! But i fear they are just going to play Lady Byng hockey.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It is what it is.

They're not supposed to be here. Punch in, punch out. I really don't care, this team was never winning four series.

The whole point of this year and this run was to give guys like CMM, Lapierre, and Protas a firsthand look at what it really, really means to throw down in the playoffs so that they can go train in the offseason and become little freaks.

Might happen, probably won't the way I dream it, but this is a group of guys still getting used to seeing daily NHL minutes who just got a healthy dose of how the playoff game f***s with what's real and what isn't compared to the 82 game season... We take that. Those guys aren't going to be happy with being swept if that's the case either, which only gives them more to draw from.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
we killed ourselves in this series. With our special teams play.

5v5 in g2 and g3 was a tie. We got more powerplays and got scored twice by shg, and we are lucky with that because they could have scored like 5 shgs.. we did get 2 ppgs but either of those were really a product of powerplay, both were rush plays.

Basically id say our 5v5 gameplan was fine and getting results. Not a bad achievement vs President Trophy winners. Ill take that as a consolation.

Hopefully this is a turning point when they finally have balls to change both, the personnel and strategy for PP. Its been haunting us for a few years now.

Its not a suprise we got beaten by the Rangers and im still happy we made it to the playoffs. Take it as a lesson and continue developing through the Hershey model. Make adjustments. And we can be here next year too, maybe with some more fight to deliver.

The younger guys did their part this time. Give them a bigger part of it for next go.

Id also say Laviolette did great job recognizing our weak points and hitting them hard. Rangers didnt need to be at their A game in this series, they were mostly ”timely” and optimistic. As we should have been to make this a series. We havent really cracked any weaknesses from them and havent been able to use our momentums.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Rags fans have vaulted up there with sPitt fans for me. Their "oh it was clean, you just don't know hockey" crap about Rempe's hit is classless. Not rooting for any career ending injuries but wouldn't shed a tear if any of their guys have postseason ending injuries. NY can go cry after missing out on the Cup again.
Their fanbase are assholes. I added them to my list a couple of seasons ago.

Pens
Boston
Rangers
Isles (tier 2 assholes - these ones ^^^ are top tier)

Reactions: Neil Racki

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1714296560117.png

Shocking.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Rags fans have vaulted up there with sPitt fans for me. Their "oh it was clean, you just don't know hockey" crap about Rempe's hit is classless. Not rooting for any career ending injuries but wouldn't shed a tear if any of their guys have postseason ending injuries. NY can go cry after missing out on the Cup again.

All NY sports teams fans are awful. NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB. All of them. Insufferable.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Before the series began in the poll in the mains thread I selected Rangers in five but it doesn't look like that will even happen. I guess Ted makes out of this the best with two playoff games to cash in on. I've watched hockey too long to have much patience for really rooting a not good team down the stretch that sucked just enough less than other teams to slip in on the last day of the season. After watching the first game of the series nothing has been surprising tbh.

Edit: Had picked Rangers in 6 must have been drunker than normal.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Before the series began in the poll in the mains thread I selected Rangers in five but it doesn't look like that will even happen. I guess Ted makes out of this the best with two playoff games to cash in on. I've watched hockey too long to have much patience for really rooting a not good team down the stretch that sucked just enough less than other teams to slip in on the last day of the season. After watching the first game of the series nothing has been surprising tbh.

I can understand how the first 2 games went.

I don't understand the lack of response in game 3.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We have seen it so many teams. A team comes out flat yes even in playoff games. Game 2 we looked like we cared but 1 and 3 were just like 2 preseason games especially with all the kids in there.

Start Darcy fresh off winning a cup.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t know… I feel like we are going to win tonight! gotta have some moxi and win one. Then we’ll go on to the next one. But gotta leave it all of the ice today. And that starts with taking some bodies and not worrying about taking a penalty!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
At least game 4 was mildly entertaining and Lapierre showed some passion. But this was a wet fart of a series where the franchise got embarrassed by the coach they just fired.
The same people who blamed everything on Lavi are now shocked that he beat us, and now blame the new coach who has an even worse roster.

HF Caps in a nutshell

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
At least game 4 was mildly entertaining and Lapierre showed some passion. But this was a wet fart of a series where the franchise got embarrassed by the coach they just fired.

Kind of easy when you have a Vezina and Norris trophy winner on the roster and guys not over 35.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The same people who blamed everything on Lavi are now shocked that he beat us, and now blame the new coach who has an even worse roster.

HF Caps in a nutshell
I’m not surprised. Lavi is a good coach. Didn’t work here. But i love Carberry. I think he will bring in 1 or 2 of his guys. I think Love and mueller could go.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Lavi’s PK strategy of aggressively attacking any Cap with the puck - especially Ovi - was certainly borne of his knowledge about the team (especially minus a semi-healthy Nicky and a semi-engaged Kuzy). Lappy - and Strome at times - we’re the only Caps to show poise with the puck. It was hand grenade city otherwise

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Lavi’s PK strategy of aggressively attacking any Cap with the puck - especially Ovi - was certainly borne of his knowledge about the team (especially minus a semi-healthy Nicky and a semi-engaged Kuzy). Lappy - and Strome at times - we’re the only Caps to show poise with the puck. It was hand grenade city otherwise
Yes and this is especially true because the PP is designed to flow in predictable patterns that eventually funnel the puck to Ovie for the one-timer, or Oshie in the slot or the point shot from Carlson at probably a 60/20/20 split. That means you can usually pressure everyone else without worrying about the guy nearby filling any gap.

The book on them has always been to not let them set up, but when they do they can be more easily broken down as the older guys are less able to deal with pressure.

NoVaCapsFan

Apr 19, 2017
Yes and this is especially true because the PP is designed to flow in predictable patterns that eventually funnel the puck to Ovie for the one-timer, or Oshie in the slot or the point shot from Carlson at probably a 60/20/20 split. That means you can usually pressure everyone else without worrying about the guy nearby filling any gap.

The book on them has always been to not let them set up, but when they do they can be more easily broken down as the older guys are less able to deal with pressure.
And don’t forget the part about not being able to get into the zone. Holy crap that was painful to watch. Just once I wanted to hear, “The Capitals decline the penalty.”

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We make suck

At least Fever got a good shot on Rempelstiltskin to make me feel better about the futility of the series. Fever may be our Orpiker aka best hitter on D - when he wants to be. We needed PPGs to have a chance but instead gave up shorties. f*** Fox that little embellishment queen punk should have been squashed in game 1. See y'all at Dev Camp in July. Or tomorrow.

Last edited:

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
No surprises this series, except I thought Caps would at least get one at home but here we are.

We need to get a couple centers that can really pass the puck around in the off-season, not only to get Ovie to beat the record but the creativity of a Kuzy like guy or two would make such a huge difference, especially on our fledgling PP.

The big names aside from Carlson disappointed, but I'm also disappointed in guys like Protas. He's a big body and it just seems he's always slow and predictable on the puck, he's 23 and hopefully develops but who knows.

GO Bears!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And don’t forget the part about not being able to get into the zone. Holy crap that was painful to watch. Just once I wanted to hear, “The Capitals decline the penalty.”

Yeah that's part of not letting them get set up. It was painful.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I’m not surprised. Lavi is a good coach. Didn’t work here. But i love Carberry. I think he will bring in 1 or 2 of his guys. I think Love and mueller could go.
Agree. When Laviolette departed after last season I said that he was a good coach but just not the right coach for the team. Carberry is the right coach for this team as it moves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad