Series Discussion: M1: New York Rangers, a subsidiary of Tom Wilson Real Estate, Inc vs WC2: Perpetrators of Horrifying Acts of Violence

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Whatever happens...have to return the favor re: head contact. This team is under-skilled but they've also been the softer team and that's pretty disappointing given how limited their game is.

If there is no pushback physically from the team and they just fade away in 5-6 games then you'd think GMBM is going to react in the summer. He has always seemed like a guy that's really high on toughness. He never even listened on Wilson. Look at the guys he's acquired over the years... guys that are considered among the most physical in the league like Gudas, Dillon, Hathaway. McIlrath is here.

He's not going to be happy if that's the case.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If there is no pushback physically from the team and they just fade away in 5-6 games then you'd think GMBM is going to react in the summer. He has always seemed like a guy that's really high on toughness. He never even listened on Wilson. Look at the guys he's acquired over the years... guys that are considered among the most physical in the league like Gudas, Dillon, Hathaway. McIlrath is here.

He's not going to be happy if that's the case.

Maybe we can sign Reaves? :help:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd be willing to bet that if you polled the fanbase of every team, each one of them would say the refs are biased against them. I don't think we're all that uniquely singled out in ref bias, but our perception colors experience. I've never read on any other forum anything like "Sure hoping the refs continue to bless us with questionable calls in our favor again tonight".

Every fan thinks the refs hate their own teams. Its a sports fandom requirement. I do think some refs are biased for/against certain teams. But I don't think its a universal league wide agreement which ones get the good and bad treatment. Refs just make a lot of mistakes in general.

Like I said, we did stat analysis and there was a very definite pattern. I'm aware of the bias potential. This isn't that.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Like I said, we did stat analysis and there was a very definite pattern. I'm aware of the bias potential. This isn't that.

I'd love to know more about the analysis that was done. I don't have data but I would bet every fan base thinks the refs hate them. Still, some team has to have more penalties than other teams, it wouldn't surprise me at all that a Bruce Boudreau team is up there.

I have seen teams that were the least penalized in the league suggesting how much the refs hate them. There's no data available on missed calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
13 min down 2 in the playoffs. If we were down by 3 or more .. yeah giddy up.
Yeah, I figured if the Ragners had scored on that powerplay then Wilson or McIlrath was going to take someones head off. They didn't so they played smart instead of going full ape mode.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd love to know more about the analysis that was done. I don't have data but I would bet every fan base thinks the refs hate them. Still, some team has to have more penalties than other teams, it wouldn't surprise me at all that a Bruce Boudreau team is up there.

I have seen teams that were the least penalized in the league suggesting how much the refs hate them. There's no data available on missed calls.
It was literally 20 years ago. I don't think it exists anymore but I can look.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
side note .. yall remember when NFl ref Mike Carrey said he refused to ref redskins games bc of the name?

I can respect that, him being open and potentially causing a riff w his employer vs keeping quiet and being bias against the Skins

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
There was this, which is almost 10 years old at this point. But makes you go hmm...

20240423_221231.jpg

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Maybe we can sign Reaves? :help:

He's signed for years with the Leafs. Not that he's the answer either, he's a show-man. As a fighter, McIlrath would be better than Reaves. I don't know if he's being told to dial it down or is he taking it easy on his old mates from the Rangers but he's really done nothing physically in this series other than go ask Rempe for a fight twice.

I'd think it'd be more in the mold of someone like Garnet Hathaway. Not him given he's on the Flyers but someone like that. He's more of a pest than a fighter these days but on top of being one of the most annoying players in the league, he's great at waking his bringing his team to a fight. He annoys opponents in every single shift and Flyers broadcast constantly raved about his ability to wake his team up and drag them to a fight. Caps could use that right now since in this series Rangers have the talent advantage. The more that Caps can get them railed off the better chance they have to win. Right now they've been downright bullied on top of losing the special teams battle and the series 2-0. It's far from over but they need to wake up, there is no reason why this team with this personnel should be bullied by the Rangers.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
He's signed for years with the Leafs. Not that he's the answer either, he's a show-man. As a fighter, McIlrath would be better than Reaves. I don't know if he's being told to dial it down or is he taking it easy on his old mates from the Rangers but he's really done nothing physically in this series other than go ask Rempe for a fight twice.

I'd think it'd be more in the mold of someone like Garnet Hathaway. Not him given he's on the Flyers but someone like that. He's more of a pest than a fighter these days but on top of being one of the most annoying players in the league, he's great at waking his bringing his team to a fight. He annoys opponents in every single shift and Flyers broadcast constantly raved about his ability to wake his team up and drag them to a fight. Caps could use that right now since in this series Rangers have the talent advantage. The more that Caps can get them railed off the better chance they have to win. Right now they've been downright bullied on top of losing the special teams battle and the series 2-0. It's far from over but they need to wake up, there is no reason why this team with this personnel should be bullied by the Rangers.
I am interested in Tanner Jeannot - it hasn't worked out at all in Tampa for him. I feel like he could be a guy that Carberry could get back on track and would really be that pain in the arse type player but also can contribute more than a Hathaway or Reaves

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We all know if TW did that to Panarin he'd be suspended for the rest of the series.

I mean... Peter Baugh (apparently covers the Rangers) on the Marek show called it borderline. Said he didn't mean to target the head and it wasn't close to being worthy of game misconduct or suspension. He did say that Panarin and Oshie certainly had something going so basically implied that it was targeted. Messier on ESPN said ''you can argue both ways'', didn't seem to think it was suspension -worthy (shocker, right?).

Subban on the other hand flat out said that there is head contact, and that it's suspension if it's anyone other than Artemi Panarin. He also said that he's been hit that way and he thinks those are part of the game but said that if you are trying to take head hits out of the game, this is definitely suspension because you can't argue how there isn't head contact. Also mentioned that if it's regular season Panarin would likely have been suspended too. So basically, we got boned.

I don't mind it, to be honest. I want the rest of the series to be chippy, especially since we are heading back home for the next 2. For this to not be a sweep they are going to need a spark. There really isn't any better spark that you can ask for than the other teams midget star throwing a questionable hit and avoiding suspension. If that doesn't wake you up to fight, then they are either just flat out soft or have ran out of gas completely. I'm hopeful and i think they are going to respond and take game 3.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I mean... Peter Baugh (apparently covers the Rangers) on the Marek show called it borderline. Said he didn't mean to target the head and it wasn't close to being worthy of game misconduct or suspension. He did say that Panarin and Oshie certainly had something going so basically implied that it was targeted. Messier on ESPN said ''you can argue both ways'', didn't seem to think it was suspension -worthy (shocker, right?).

Subban on the other hand flat out said that there is head contact, and that it's suspension if it's anyone other than Artemi Panarin. He also said that he's been hit that way and he thinks those are part of the game but said that if you are trying to take head hits out of the game, this is definitely suspension because you can't argue how there isn't head contact. Also mentioned that if it's regular season Panarin would likely have been suspended too. So basically, we got boned.

I don't mind it, to be honest. I want the rest of the series to be chippy, especially since we are heading back home for the next 2. For this to not be a sweep they are going to need a spark. There really isn't any better spark that you can ask for than the other teams midget star throwing a questionable hit and avoiding suspension. If that doesn't wake you up to fight, then they are either just flat out soft or have ran out of gas completely. I'm hopeful and i think they are going to respond and take game 3.

I'm looking beyond the series. Oshie is a guy with a long history of concussions. His QOL and family are on the line every shift. Some of that is his own calculated risk but Panarin has to know this by now.

Launching into the head of a guy like that, under those circumstances, is dishonorable and despicable and Panarin deserves whatever payback is coming his way.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm looking beyond the series. Oshie is a guy with a long history of concussions. His QOL and family are on the line every shift. Some of that is his own calculated risk but Panarin has to know this by now.

Launching into the head of a guy like that, under those circumstances, is dishonorable and despicable and Panarin deserves whatever payback is coming his way.

Obviously, Oshie has been one of the poster child for head injuries for a long time. As a guy who has gone through hell with all his head injuries but still plays like a bloodhound. Panarin has been in the league for a long time, obviously he knows it.

As for Panarin... he's entered the ring. There's no hiding now.

Reactions: Neil Racki and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Obviously, Oshie has been one of the poster child for head injuries for a long time. As a guy who has gone through hell with all his head injuries but still plays like a bloodhound. Panarin has been in the league for a long time, obviously he knows it.

As for Panarin... he's entered the ring. There's no hiding now.

But we know it won't matter when the hammer comes down on him. Look at the TW incident from years ago. All you usually see, including in the avatar I made, is TW slamming him and punching him etc. People forget Panarin jumped into an existing fray, directly onto TW's back.

The cause will be buried and Panarin will be the poor little victim again.

Hopefully we won't care about that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was literally 20 years ago. I don't think it exists anymore but I can look.
There was a vertical chart that detailed it nicely.

I remember one series Mario was crying as usual about the Caps clutch and grabs and in the next game Pitt got something like 13 PPs.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
But we know it won't matter when the hammer comes down on him. Look at the TW incident from years ago. All you usually see, including in the avatar I made, is TW slamming him and punching him etc. People forget Panarin jumped into an existing fray, directly onto TW's back.

The cause will be buried and Panarin will be the poor little victim again.

Hopefully we won't care about that.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The media might not remember, but the north remembers (or Washington, in this instance).

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I’ve been beating this drum for years….

If the league really wanted to crack down on X offense, they could. Oshie hit was a head shot, deserving of at least a penalty, if not supplemental discipline. They’ve shown the ability to do that in the past, for non penalized hits, but it’s random and player dependent.

They effectively eliminated fighting without making it a more egregious penalty. Still 5 minutes, but look what happened to it.

The same could be done with hits like the other night…

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’ve been beating this drum for years….

If the league really wanted to crack down on X offense, they could. Oshie hit was a head shot, deserving of at least a penalty, if not supplemental discipline. They’ve shown the ability to do that in the past, for non penalized hits, but it’s random and player dependent.

They effectively eliminated fighting without making it a more egregious penalty. Still 5 minutes, but look what happened to it.

The same could be done with hits like the other night…

The stupid thing is they take injury into consideration way more than they should. If Oshie hadn't returned there might actually have been a hearing at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad